Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Cold War

Oct 1962: Strategic Air Command personnel interpreting a reconnaissance photo during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
eJtFTOq.jpg

"Big Joe, post:
I was in South Korea for Team Spirit '87 yes, the good old days."

I was in South Korea for Team Spirit 86 & 88.
In 86 I went with my entire Bn, (1st Bn 184th Inf Regt, 40th Inf Div) including our APCs. In 88 I went as a driver (Chevy Blazer Mil version) for a full bird Arty Colonel .

You turn up some interesting photos, Louis. It's cool how some pictures can help us imagine how different the atmosphere was at certain moments in history. The Cuban Missile Crisis must've been a really scary time for many regular folks. I dig through some of the old threads every now and then, try to catch up, you've posted loads of great stuff.
¡Gracias!

Two months after the Kennedy administration barred Americans from any transactions with Cuba, Soviet Union leader Nikita Khrushchev hosted Fidel Castro on 1963, in Castro's first visit to the USSR.

In this curious pic Fidel Castro is seen smoking a Cuban cigar and wearing two Rolex watches in the Kremlin while he chats with Khrushchev, in front of a Karl Marx picture. Fidel Castro was often spotted wearing two Rolex’s at the same time – one of them a GMT, the other one a Submariner. In total, the watches gave Castro a three-time zone overview by a glance on his wrist. The watches have been set for Havana, Washington, and Moscow time. Today Washington D.C. and Havana are in the same time zone (UTC -5)

During his trip Castro managed to see a lot of cities and visit numerous factories, secret military bases, a nuclear submarine, walk along Moscow without security guards, talk to the authorities and ordinary people.

Already before the very departure Fidel Castro full of emotions and being so much satisfied with what he managed to achieve in the economic and military spheres, sent a farewell letter to N. Khrushchev with words of admiration and gratitude for the excellent trip.

BnJniv1.jpg

Back