Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Cold Waters

Rambler

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Killerfish, the makers of the Pacific & Atlantic Fleet games, recently announced a new title they're working on called Cold Waters. It's a cold war gone hot sub game, and they're describing it as the spiritual successor to the old Red Storm Rising game. Looks pretty cool, and I'll be keeping my eye on it. Here are a couple links about it.

Steam Greenlight page:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=770691721

RPS interview with the devs:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/10/14/the-flare-path-laminar-floes/

I've got it, its good fun. Still getting the hang of it, but it feels like it's managed to get a lot of realism in without making it too overwhelming. If you're used to the rolling uncertainty of Combat Mission then you should be able to adapt to being in a blind submarine pretty quickly. ÂŁ30 might be a bit much for what you get at the moment, but haven't explored the Silent-Hunter-esque campaign mode fully, definitely worth it in a sale.

Also, hell but the Soviets had some insane anti-sub weapons! Wondered why they were firing a barrage of sea skimming missiles at me until the missiles dropped torpedoes. Not enough maneuvering, knuckles and noisemakers to evade four homing torpedoes splashing into the sea right next to me.

Blatant self-promotion, the first single mission where you face off against a single Soviet sub in a one-on-one:

Looks good. More of a WW2 tragic and getting to grips with Atlantic Fleet. Enjoyed the Silent Hunter series.
No doubt I will pick up CW at some stage.

Bought it today, back to modern subs after years of Silent Hunter 3 and 4 ...

2017-06-0714_01_06-Greenshot.jpg

Finally sat down and started playing. My first war patrol lasted less than 3 days after I got into a duel with 3 Soviet Subs; downed two of them and then maneuver killed myself by hitting bottom too fast trying to evade (loooooool).

az664da.jpg

Some thoughts now that I've played;

1) Anyone who thinks the game's 'arcadey' is taking a piss; its just minimalistic about the tech crap. Given how many of us are Combat Mission players used to things going on 'under the hood' I don't think any of you will take real umbrance with it. That being said - it's not a Silent Hunter or Dangerous Waters esque game.

2) The sonar and sound model blows any (unmodded) variant of Silent Hunter out of the water. Again, just because I don't sit there and stare at a waterfall display doesn't mean its not in depth.

3) Evasion is actually suprisingly easy. It reminds me of a moment from the novel Red Storm Rising when a character muses that evading a torp a few times isn't hard; the rub is that a human will make a mistake long before a torpedo ever will. This rings true in game, especially if you play 1:1 scale. Evading a torpedo salvo for 20 minutes puts your situational awareness to shit and tuckers you out mentally.

4) The AI play by the same rules you do. Again, as we're all CM players, I think we can deeply appreciate that. If you fire a torpedo, even one with a poor solution, at a target, the target's going to be too busy evading to attack you. I learned quickly that firing at every target within range but focusing on the one you really want sunk is how you get the hell out of dodge safely.

5) There's bugs, the usual release-day crap, but nothing dramatic. The inability to replenish noise-makers is the most troubling but not game breaking since you can use MOSS's and create knuckles fairly easily. Nothing that is wrong with the game can't be patched. Don't believe the naysayers, the only reason you won't like this game is if it's simply not for you, not because it's dead on arrival.

Solid 8.5/10 from me. Happy hunting.

Last edited:
I know what you mean Rinaldi re game balance/technicality. I often look at Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations, but I'm not sure I have enough years left on the planet to learn it!
Plus, being a WW2 tragic, there is something about having your target in visual range! Shooting a ship or aircraft 15 km (10mi) away does not have the same bang in my opinion.
I guess I just need to experience the nuances of the "game" between hunter and hunted to understand the thrill of the chase/evasion.
Thanks for the short review.

I thought this guy did a nice job.

@Lethal - Engagement distances can certainly be much longer, but that doesn't mean it's any less intense.

@Rinaldi - Couldn't have said it better myself, and that's about what I would rate it in it's current state as well. Cold Waters is the type of sub sim I have been waiting for for a very long time. And it's so fun. Well worth the price of admission imo.

Thks for the link, Lethal, interesting video ! The guy has some more in his CW playlist.

I put Silent Hunter 5 on my Steam wishlist. Thx for this thread! :)

Silent Hunter 5 is a lot worst than 3 and 4 with overhaul mods.

Silent Hunter 5 is a lot worst than 3 and 4 with overhaul mods.
Ah OK, thx for the warning @Corsaire31 . If I should ever seriously intend to buy this game, I will go deeper into this matter and keep your good advise in mind. ;)

U-Boat -> deeper ... :D But right now I'm totally back on Combat Mission. :cool:

Back