Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Considering starting a WW2 campaign

@Bulletpoint no that's fine to suggest things.

In the example above, I used a map that someone else has presented, and is only for example of size and location.
In the map that @Rico has kindly offered to do, we'd place the main (large) towns, then road networks, with 17 small towns scattered across the map as well (also linked by roads).

2edmap.jpg

Brigade Battles Rules (draft)

Setting

Not sure yet what year or month should be used. Probably spring or summer.

Units

Units may not stack. Any unit that ends their movement phase next to an enemy unit may attack that unit. Up to 6 units may attack into a hex (but only 1 may occupy it if the battle is won).

Each side starts with a Brigade. Each counter represents one company. HQ units, artillery units and support units are abstracted and not shown on the map. Each company unit has a parent battalion and parent regiment listed on it.

Was thinking of creating a rule where units from an infantry battalion cannot be further than 2 hexes away from each other at any time, but that could add complexity.
Perhaps a better rule would be to say that any infantry company that is further than 2 hexes from another unit in their battalion cannot receive any battalion support
(in the form of battalion level artillery or heavy weapons or anti-tank platoons).
This restriction will probably not apply to the armoured companies.

Map

Each hex represents about 1km. The pre-prepared maps we have are: 46 open, 24 town (7 are large) and 22 woods.

Turns

One side writes its orders, moves and attacks, then the other side does the same.

Fog Of War

Each unit can see enemy units within 2 (or 3?) hexes of their position.

Zone of Control

Each unit exerts a ZOC into adjacent hexes, which can increase the cost of enemy movement through these hexes. ZOC also affects supply routes.

Battles

Battles are fought in CMRT on maps approximately 1km in size. 40 turns per battle.

Maps for each hex will be selected by GM. Once a battle has been fought there, the hex will ‘retain’ that same map if subsequent battles are fought there.
The defender will start roughly in the middle. The attacking companies will have setup zones at the edges.
The edges will roughly correspond to where the unit is entering from on the campaign map. Possibly one victory location in the middle.

There will be limits on experience and types of units that are allowed to be purchased. Vehicles and possibly guns will probably have a rarity ceiling.

Campaign Victory

To win the campaign, a side must capture all?/4 out of 7? of the large towns on the map, or the other side capitulates due to battle losses or untenable strategic situation.

Movement

Each unit has Movement Points (maybe inf 3, armored and mech 4?)

If it doesn't attack, it can move much more (even if it goes into enemy ZOC):
Infantry +1, mech double MP.

If it doesn't attack OR enter ZOC, it has even more MP.
Infantry double MP, mech triple.

MP cost: clear 1, road ½, woods/rough 2, enter enemy ZOC +1

Weather

Possibly use weather, with a die rolled to determine: clear, overcast, light snow, rain, etc.
May affect ground conditions, visibility and air support.

Air missions

This is an option, but I think it would be limited to one per side per turn, and probably only strafing missions.

Prepared positions

Spend a turn digging in without moving, and gain +1
Spend another turn, and gain +2

This was used in the Battle of the Bulge. It was fun, but it may involve too much record keeping, so I may abandon it. It would involve bonus points to spend on fortifications, with some restrictions.

Supply

To be in supply, a unit must be able to trace a path (any) to their board edge without crossing ZOC. A unit out of supply may have ammo restrictions and movement restrictions, and cannot attack (?).

Artillery

I am thinking of giving each battalion artillery. This off-map artillery will have size restrictions, and be available to only one company per turn. Possibly the commander will need to specify during the orders phase. The alternative is to let the commanders choose once battles have been specified (would this be realistic?).

I am also considering giving each regiment artillery to support one company in the regiment each turn – this would need to be stated during the written orders phase (less flexible than battalion artillery).

Considering using the rule: attacker may use pre-planned artillery but not defender. Other option is to disable pre-planned entirely.

QUICK BATTLE NOTES

Infantry units

100% / 1000 pts
90% / 900 pts
80% / 800 pts
70% / 700 pts
60% / 600 pts
50% / 500 pts
40% / 400 pts
30% / 300 pts

Armoured units: Armoured points / Mech infantry points
100% / 1500 pts / 1200 pts
90% / 1350 pts / 1100 pts
80% / 1200 pts / 960 pts
70% / 1050 pts / 840 pts
60% / 900 pts / 720 pts
50% / 750 pts / 600 pts
40% /
30% /

Mech units
100% / 1200 pts
90% / 1100 pts
80% / 960 pts
70% / 840 pts
60% / 720 pts
50% / 600 pts
40% /
30% /

Artillery support
Each artillery support is worth 500 pts (?)

Air support
Each air support is worth 300 pts (?)

Fortifications
+1 = 300 QB pts (?)
+2 = 600 QB pts (?)

Last edited:
Fabulous news, keep going old boy...

Well, I've just leapt the first of many, many hurdles to be one of the 4% of applicants accepted into the paramedics - my application was accepted.
Now comes...the timed cognitive aptitude testing! Yikes. :eek: Onwards!

Well, I've just leapt the first of many, many hurdles to be one of the 4% of applicants accepted into the paramedics - my application was accepted.

Great news. Remember to keep the focus on your dream to get through the rough (suck) times.

That test sounds a bit like playing a turn of CM ... perhaps CM counts as training for the test???

Ditto with all the congrats etc.

Back