Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newspaper report: Crime is way down but domestic violence way up.
Makes sense.

It does. My son is a deputy sheriff. His department expects "social" crimes (burglary, theft, shoplifting, prostitution, etc.) will go down considerably. However, he expects domestic violence, alcoholism, and drug abuse to go way up. It's hard enough to spend 24x7 with people who care for each other. Confinement to troubled marriages or dysfunctional families will not go well.

I enjoy dabbling in precious metals, mainly silver and, to a lesser extent, gold. The thing is, I only buy physical product. I don't own any "paper" metals. "If you can't hold it, you don't own it." As a result of this pandemic, and for reasons that might be difficult to explain, silver spot price recently plummeted to around $12 an ounce. The interesting thing is, no one would sell you any actual silver for anywhere near that price. "Premiums" (the fancy word for markups in the precious metals world) became astronomical. As I type this, silver spot price is $14.88 an ounce, and it is very hard to buy actual physical silver for under $25 an ounce. Normally, at a $15 spot price, one could expect to buy almost unlimited amounts of silver at $17ish an ounce.

3NPJ0Hv.png

How do you get enough dog food on your motorcycle? :p

I buy a fifteen kg bag monthly (balanced food) but I must bring it in the car.(y)

Day 6. 117 new cases. Total 502.

It is the day with the highest number of positives. For the second consecutive day two people died and there are already 8 fatalities.
Arrests multiply for not justifying circulation on the streets.

It does. My son is a deputy sheriff. His department expects "social" crimes (burglary, theft, shoplifting, prostitution, etc.) will go down considerably. However, he expects domestic violence, alcoholism, and drug abuse to go way up. It's hard enough to spend 24x7 with people who care for each other. Confinement to troubled marriages or dysfunctional families will not go well.
They just restricted alcohol purchasing severely here. No more than one case of beer or three bottles of wine or 1 litre of spirits per purchase. Not really enforecable since you can just shop around but it's still annoying for a consumer, but sends a clear msg 'tough' don't get blotto and put pressure on the emergency services at this time. Needless to say the industry association screamed bloody murder - 'think of our businesses and revenue.' Local bottle shops interviewed by the media were actually supportive given prevailing logistic problems anyway.

They just restricted alcohol purchasing severely here. No more than one case of beer or three bottles of wine or 1 litre of spirits per purchase. Not really enforecable since you can just shop around but it's still annoying for a consumer, but sends a clear msg 'tough' don't get blotto and put pressure on the emergency services at this time. Needless to say the industry association screamed bloody murder - 'think of our businesses and revenue.' Local bottle shops interviewed by the media were actually supportive given prevailing logistic problems anyway.
Also severely restricting alcohol sales here as well for our lockdown ... alcohol also reduces inhibitions, common sense and tends to increase sociability -- not good things when you want to keep people apart.
Do feel a bit for alcoholics going cold turkey in a few weeks...

Gun shops and liquor stores are doing a booming business here.
One liquor store owner said it's like Christmas in March.
A gun shop owner said thousands of customers have passed through his store in the last week — a level that hasn't been seen since the days after 9/11.

Liquor and guns, the perfect combination. :rolleyes:

You know, if our government was smart they'd legalize recreational cannabis nationwide. The upside, everyone would be mellow, the downside would be everyone would have the munchies. Although with that drive-thru business would go through the roof...

So,
At the school where I work some changes have been implemented:

Only staff who are on site to support those students attending are allowed to come in.

I am on site in the morning from 7am to noon, and then one of my caretakers comes to stay until around 4pm.

Once I've opened up, I am cleaning the area where the students are being put - wiping down surfaces and cleaning the toilets before heading off to attend to other duties on site.

When students arrive, they have to wash their hands, and again before and after lunch - staff are also wiping down surfaces at lunch times.

They are being kept at a distance from each other in the area provided, which is plenty big enough.

The caretaker also cleans and sanitises after the students and staff have gone, before he locks up the site.

Canteen contractors are in, supplying lunch for the students who come in (so far this has varied in amounts everyday), and also for those who remain at home and still qualify for free school meals ( staff who are in drop these lunches off, using one of our school minibuses as transport - a rota system is in place for the forseeable future).

School buses are obliged to provide their normal service even though we can't guarantee numbers daily.

No doubt this routine will vary as time goes on, but for the meantime it's working.

I'm sure other schools have similar plans in place.

Steve

I believe all our schools and colleges are closed and are attempting to do everything online.

We will probably end up going that way too.

Teachers are at home providing lessons online for the rest of the students.

Steve

PA schools statewide are on lock down. Some are doing "reviewing" online and some (like my wife's) are gearing up to get it started. Not sure how she will do with teaching 1st graders online! Attention spans are short in class let alone sitting in front of a computer. We will see. Schools still closed until at least April 6th.

Pennsylvania is the only state in the country that has completely shuttered its state-run liquor stores in response to the coronavirus outbreak, according to the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States, a Washington, D.C.-based trade group. Also, gun shops only doing business by appointment> not totally sure what that means.

Lots of us will be going into 'withdraw".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back