Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen I have decided to re-open the thread... it is a good area to relay and share our own take on the situation and for us to learn how other nations are coping and the experiences all of our members are going through. Its times like this we stick together especially here at the FGM and sometimes venting to brothers is better than exploding on Twitter or the like... bear in mind though that we dont really want to be providing medical advice or such like... heck I dont want any of you guys to go out and catch the C-19 because of a post on here saying... hell you dont need to wear facemasks when your french kissing door handles. :)

I can see why the face mask post was shared... I can see why there was a counter statement and I can see why the thread was locked... the sensible thing to do lest it ignites. Lets all be there for one another in these bat shit crazy times.

Stay safe men.

My apologies to FGM. Goodness, this is the second time in 2 weeks I have issued an apology.

If my post regarding masks was misinterpreted I apologize, but as was pointed out, the use of boldface was meant and intended to illicit skepticism and thereby spur the exchange of reasonable information. If you know me, and of course many of you don't except through my posts, I am as apolitical as it gets. I am a registered INDEPENDENT with Libertarian leanings. I judge people as to whether they are good or evil, because my philosophy is that if you are judging them outside of that (i.e. skin color, sex, economic status, physical or mental handicap, etc.) you are NITPICKING. I am a firm believer in the Golden Rule, and "LIVE AND LET LIVE". I absolutely abhor politics, I think our nation's leadership in both major parties leaves much to be desired (that is somewhat political, sorry), I believe that if you get an education, present yourself in a positive manner and work hard, you will be a success. I think the Fourth Estate is a joke, perverted from telling the whole story because of personal and employer biases. I believe in family, friends and country. My personal motto is "ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY" and I mean always. I still hold the door for women and seniors, even though I am getting up there and I still help old ladies cross the street. I believe in keeping an open mind. WHAT I AM NOT IS A PROPAGANDA SHILL FOR A POLITICAL PARTY OR A POLITICIAN. Now is it clear to everyone where I stand? Oh yeah, I am also not afraid to admit it when I am wrong and apologize for my actions because I take responsibility for everything I do and say.

Here is the absolute deal. {NOTHING is absolute} No one knows crap about this virus Correction: I don't know crap about this virus. If you go to the CDC website https://faq.coronavirus.gov/protect-yourself/does-cdc-recommend-facemasks/ it specifically says "cloth facemask MAY prevent the spread of disease". MAY? Also, in my local newspaper in May the CDC reported that after preliminary testing they believed that the virus would not live long in direct sunlight and high temperatures. Tell that to the 1 in 5 Arizonians that now have the virus.

My point is this. This virus is the great unknown as far as prevention and cure. Maybe the masks work, maybe they don't. Maybe the virus dies in sunlight, maybe not. What isn't reported is that the virus is mutating - to a weaker form. Why isn't that front page, front and center? Think about it... CORRECTION: One of our members pointed me towards a different source regarding the virus mutating. There is evidence that it isn't necessarily getting weaker. I was wrong and I stand corrected.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, regarding @Badger73 locking this post. Although I didn't agree with his actions, I respected his decision, because he has a tough job and it is better to error on the side of spraying water on the flames at the start of a potential fire. So @Badger73, hat's off, because it is a TOUGH, TOUGH job to walk the top of the fence and provide balance. If you and Shane feel I am getting off track or am wandering too close to something forbidden, shoot me a PM. Just know that I am also a firm believer in the US Constitution and I will be pushing the First Amendment frontier as any good American should.

And thanks Shane, for your wisdom and judgment. You have come a long, long way since those chaotic days at the Blitz forums. Whatever happened to Geordie?

Keep up the good work!

Here is the absolute deal. No one knows crap about this virus.
While we're apologizing, I would like to apologize for all the bad things I've ever done, am doing, and plan to do in the future. ;-)

So when can I expect my 100 apologies? I sent you my 100 apologies via mail.

I would like to apologize for all the bad things I've ever done, am doing, and plan to do in the future. ;-)

That's an awful lot to apologize . . . :eek:
How do we know you're being sincere . . . ? :fisher:
No worries @HOA_KSOP. My wife disagrees with most everything I say or do . . . . :sofa:

Glad that this is reopened, I was just about to post when it got closed :D

I must say that I think the atmosphere on this forum is very positive in general, and while some clear things were said I don't felt anyone was going off board. Perhaps that's because of all the good work by @Badger73 :). Anyway, this forum is very far from most other forums.

On point, I thought that @A Canadian Cat post was quite spot on regarding what we know. Although that might not be a lot indeed.
In The Netherlands most restrictions are being lifted, just the 1.5m distance remains. So no large festivals and stuff, but the rest has reopened or will reopen per 1 july. Working from home is still advised if possible. Also certain things like universities will probably continue to teach via video/digitally when possible.
Personally I am still refraining from going to indoor events with too many people and or events where a lot of persons are close to each other. Still have to work from home for as long as the government advises.
While we seem to have weathered the storm, the virus isn't gone. And while not every measure that has been effectuated will, in the end, be actually effective; having a plan and trying to stick with it is still always better compared to having no plan at all, or botching the execution.
And if wearing a cloth facemask can help spreading the thing, it doesn't really hurt.

Apart from all that, I think that this crisis has quite the psychologic impact as well. The lack of social interaction and the fact that it's difficult to attribute 'blame' for this virus, causes something that throws any nuance quickly out of the window in public discussions or matters. Correlation becomes causation. It's almost like the youtube comments took over the world ;-).

So, back on the subject of this thread (as opposed to trying to make a joke and/or gain internet points, as is my usual motivation)......as some of you know I work in healthcare, in a hospital (or "medical center" as almost every hospital with more than 50 beds wants to call themselves these days). We are required to check our temperatures at the beginning of each work shift, and we are required to wear "surgical" masks for the entirety of our shift. Surgical masks are just, basically, paper masks that reduce the amount of droplets that spew out of your pie hole. They most certainly do not provide much of a barrier to something as small as a virus. They are probably the equivalent of the cloth masks that people are making a nice chunk of change selling on eBay, etc.

So, back on the subject of this thread (as opposed to trying to make a joke and/or gain internet points, as is my usual motivation)......as some of you know I work in healthcare, in a hospital (or "medical center" as almost every hospital with more than 50 beds wants to call themselves these days). We are required to check our temperatures at the beginning of each work shift, and we are required to wear "surgical" masks for the entirety of our shift. Surgical masks are just, basically, paper masks that reduce the amount of droplets that spew out of your pie hole. They most certainly do not provide much of a barrier to something as small as a virus. They are probably the equivalent of the cloth masks that people are making a nice chunk of change selling on eBay, etc.

Can you loan me your full body hazmat suit with self-contained breathing apparatus?

Thats exactly the problem no one really knows a whole helluva lot about the virus and it is trial and error methinks.

Hell even the WHO and CDC were saying wearing masks was pointless but now we are required to wear them in certain situations.

Lets be straight up guys... its scary but we are doing what we can to try and stay safe and keep our families safe and thats about all we can do unless we buy a desert island a fishing rod and a tent.

And if it comes to the fact that this is the apocalypse and I get taken out by a flu I will be properly raging in the next life. ;)

And thanks Shane, for your wisdom and judgment. You have come a long, long way since those chaotic days at the Blitz forums. Whatever happened to Geordie?

Yeah I had a great upbringing, you know being trolled, fighting flame wars etc. Can't complain, if it wasn't for that crappy atmosphere I wouldn't have made this place. As for Geordie here he is... sitting over at the World at War website...

Polish_kid_in_the_ruins_of_Warsaw_September_1939.jpg

Only kidding... I hold no grudges and if he turned up at the door knocking I wouldn't hesitate to let him in. That was all a looooong time ago now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back