Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Drifter Man vs Titan DAR

Drifter Man

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
It has been a while since my last DAR, time to start another one! This time against Titan, who is hereby asked to keep out until the end of the battle :)

Conditions:
CMRT, Allied Attack, Large
December 1944, Eastern Europe
Soviet Army vs German Army
Map: FR_Budapest Hills-1280x720-Forest-Attack-01
Day, Flurries, Patchy Snow
Strict Rarity
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes

The map is narrow for the force size, although reasonably deep. It does not have dominant features or anything "worth fighting for". Two hills in the central part of the map, circled in red on the map below, offer some observation of the surroundings but again, not too far, and are easily targeted. Two large objective zones are painted in this area. A group of heavy buildings near the German rear end of the map gives something to hold on to - that's the third and final objective. Otherwise it is just a stretch of land covered by light forest, which limits visibility but does not restrict vehicle movement, apart from slowing it down. For armor, the visibility distance is rather short: for the Russian tanks it is hard to stay out of schreck reach and still do something useful. For infantry, the terrain offers some concealment but almost no cover. Artillery can be very dangerous here - in fact I think that the battle could be won with a massive artillery barrage - so we limited it to 15% of the purchase points.

This is the second of two mirror games. In the first one I defended and lost. A short summary of this first battle follows. For maximum firepower at the expected engagement range of 200 meters, I chose the German Fortress MG Battalion as my main formation, reduced to 7 MG platoons plus 15 Panzerschrecks, 6 on-map medium mortars and a Pioneer platoon. I added one Nashorn; Panthers seemed too expensive for a short range brawl and I did not have enough rarity points for two TDs. Anything less than 75mm KwK42 was likely to be ineffective. I placed one TRP ahead of my lines and had a section of Hummels ready for artillery support. Two MG companies (2x 2 MG platoons, regulars) formed the main line just ahead of the objectives. 3rd company (veterans) formed my reserve. I expected heavy losses in this terrain, so I notched up leadership and motivation modifiers by 1-2 points where possible to help keep morale up. The pioneers were placed ahead of the main line and I hoped to put the flamethrowers to use against unsuspecting Soviet infantry.

gycYr5H.jpg

My opponent arrived with a Rifle 44 Battalion (veteran), an SMG company (elite), 3x T-34-85, 2x ISU-152, 1x BA-64, 1x AA halftrack and a supply platoon with trucks - at least this is what I was able to reconstruct after the battle. Artillery was represented by 3x heavy rocket battery (single salvo), 1x light rocket battery and something that looked like 76mm guns. The firing plan included two heavy rocket strikes in Turn 1, light rockets in Turn 5 and light artillery in Turn 10. I took considerable losses from the rockets - around 30 men. The light artillery seemed to be hitting Titan's troops more than mine and Titan stopped it after two minutes. He used it again later for a few salvos on TRPs.

Soviet scouts made contact with my forward positions very quickly. The pioneers died without doing almost anything useful: it was a mistake to place isolated units far forward without an escape route. Titan gradually located my main positions and started eating into them with sniper and MG fire, mortar fire and, where possible, shelling from T-34s and ISU-152s. The defense was effective in that any Soviet infantry that went too far ahead was cut down, but at the same time I could see clearly that I was losing more men than I could afford. The left flank was getting hit particularly hard and before Turn 15 I was already feeding in reserves from the 3rd Company.

The right flank held a better. Although two or three MG teams were wiped out, Soviet infantry also took losses and seemed to have been stopped. The BA-64 and the AA halftrack tested the waters and were schrecked. An ISU-152 was also fired upon, and my opponent eventually withdrew his forces to focus on the right and center right, where he was slowly gaining ground. I attempted to hold his advance with a 150mm artillery strike on his estimated staging area. This strike claimed 54 causalties and immobilized one T-34, but offered only a temporary reprieve, as the Soviet attack resumed shortly after the impact of the last shell. I maneuvered with the Nashorn, trying to take some shots without taking too much risk - but eventually I miscalculated and lost it to an ISU-152. My opponent reacted to this presumed shift in balance by moving into schreck range, which resulted in one T-34 destroyed and one ISU-152 disabled. But Soviet infantry kept coming. One squad after another poured in, was cut down or driven away - only to be replaced with the next one, while my reserves dwindled and morale dropped to critical levels. Titan's final push with all strength, including the last T-34 and working ISU-152, finally shattered the center right position and decided the outcome of the battle.

At this point I still had some effective units on the right flank, which were at risk of getting encircled. I left a few unfortunate troops behind to slow down Titan's advance - one well hidden schreck claimed an ISU-152 - and retreated with the rest to the final objective to make my last stand. The last T-34 attempted to pursue but was also schrecked, which gave me some room to breathe - but not for long. As soon as the MGs set up in the buildings, Titan's last reserve - elite SMG troops - emerged from the woods. For a while, the cover of the buildings helped me fend them off while I was hoping that Titan would run out of troops, ammunition or morale. None of that happened and after a while my position was getting flanked on both sides. In this hopeless situation, with less than 30 panicking troops holding on to the edge of the last objective, I surrendered. The battle lasted 1 hour and 15 minutes, claiming 356 Soviet and 419 German troops killed, wounded or missing - quite intense, but not surprising in this terrain where infantry has nowhere to hide.

Now it is time for a rematch!

tIugcGw.jpg

BydELL7.jpg

Last edited:
Setup

This battle is less about "planning" and more about "execution". The plan is simple - there is a strong, narrow defensive line ahead of me and I need to destroy it. There is no room for probing or maneuvering. I would even say, based on our previous battle, that there is no "key terrain" whose control would give either side an important advantage. My force composition and overall plan of advance are similar to Titan's from the first batte - after all, it worked. The question is whether I can execute it as well or better (with lower casualties) and whether Titan can come up with something unexpected that will derail my attack.

Rifle Battalion 43 [2396 points] (minus a few squads; I think I am getting more manpower there than with 44, plus I like the extra 50mm and 82mm mortars)
  • 1st Company [427] - regulars, for scouting/first contact
  • 2nd Company [543] - veterans +1, for the left flank
  • 3rd Company [666] - veterans +1, for the right flank
  • MG company with 9x SG43 [240]
  • Mortar battery with 9x 82mm [371]
  • FO team [74]
Tank Regiment 43
  • 7x T-34-85 (M1944 late) [2603 points] including Regiment HQ, mostly Regular; I don't think I need experienced crews for support work and short range tank vs tank combat
  • Tankodesantniki company [383] - crack +2, reserve
  • Recon platoon [252] (3x BA-64B, 2x M3A1 scout car, 2x SMG squad)
  • Sapper platoon [89] (reduced to 2 teams)
Artillery
  • 6x 300mm rocket battery [540 points] for 1st turn strike - I hope that 5-10% casualties can be produced, but it will be no surprise at all as my opponent is generating the action phase and will see the computation slow down; he may push his forces to the rear end of the map to avoid getting hit
  • 2x TRP [60 points] for later use with the medium mortars - I put them in two places where my opponent can have reverse slope defense, at the same time they can be connected together or with other places I can get observation to, to form linear targets
I find that the Soviet side has absolutely no problems with rarity - unless you want American or British equipment - so, our strict rarity seems to be disproportionately affecting the German defender, who must pay rarity points for Panzerschrecks, fortifications and any useful armor except Panthers.

G4l2Fse.jpg

Two oblique shots to show some of the terrain profile; the red circles are the two hills mentioned in the previous post.
DntrAPW.jpg

jOZ0YBz.jpg

Last edited:
6x 300mm rocket battery [540 points] for 1st turn strike - I hope that 5-10% casualties can be produced, but it will be no surprise at all as my opponent is generating the action phase and will see the computation slow down; he may push his forces to the rear end of the map to avoid getting hit

Not sure how this would work?

Even if he could deduce incoming artillery by timing how long the turn took to compute, the effects of the artillery would already be baked in to that turn, wouldn't it?

Or do you mean he could then delete the generated save file and make another one where he deployed differently?

Or do you mean he could then delete the generated save file and make another one where he deployed differently?
Yes, that's what I mean he could do, but first turn artillery is not a surprise in any case. At the same time, it is difficult to hide from it, because the rockets fall over a wide area and there is no way to tell where it will fall exactly.

Was this really within 15 pct. of his points budget?
I don't know for sure what he had in terms of the light guns - assuming it was a Field gun battery (light), I get to 17%, but I can be wrong about that assumption, or Titan could have lowered the experience. I have no reason to believe that Titan exceeded the budget.
Artillery can be quite devastating in this terrain and the 15% limit is quite generous. I was lucky that he offloaded part of it on his own troops. I observed two of his casualties from friendly artillery, but there were probably more.

Last edited:
Turns 1-4. The action starts right away. First, all my off-map artillery - a massive salvo of 96 300mm rockets - rains down on the map, mainly on the area ahead of the objectives. All fall in within a 10-15 second interval, it's a lot of noise and the ground is shaking. I will not know until the end of the battle whether there was any effect, too. There goes 540 points.

Second, an AT bunker (PaK40) is spotted on a hill opposite to my setup. It can see into the setup zone and opens fire at my infantry that is just leaving it. These guys take two light injuries from fragments, but the second shell lands right in the middle of my massed troops in the setup zone :rolleyes: Three casualties. Fortunately, everyone was hiding and no vehicles had LOS with the bunker. I must admit I completely missed that this was a possibility, but I had learned to take the precaution of hiding everyone at the start of the battle. I order my troops to sneak out of the line of fire. At the same time, I move in a mortar team to be ready to lay smoke in front of the bunker. The bunker shouldn't be much trouble as its field of fire seems to be rather narrow, but it prevents my troops from moving freely sideways across the setup zone.

Other than that, 1st company soon hits German defenses - a line of HMGs. So far I have found 4 of them, of which 3 are in foxholes, and I heard a fifth further back in the woods by the right edge of the map. I have taken 5 more casualties from these. One German casualty is also confirmed. I am working to get them all under fire from mortars and MGs.

FManV1X.jpg

Where did you aim the rockets? I can only spot two craters on the pic..
Here you go :) The 86 crater marks (out of 96) that I was able to track down. I aimed at 6 point targets across the frontline, allowing enough space from my setup zone for the spread - I did not want to get hit by my own artillery.
The rendering of craters is messed up in CM, at least with my graphics settings. The textures seem to clip through the terrain, which makes the craters nearly invisible from a distance.

Co8EuBh.jpg

Thanks.. I now feel sorry I even asked and caused you that much extra work.

I just realised that it was not one module of 6x300mm, but six individual modules. I don't have CMRT so don't know how it works like there, but seems you can purchase very small rocket modules compared to CMFB?

That also explains why I asked about whether Titan went over budget in the last battle. I thought he had brought 3x540 points of heavy rockets, but seems he only brought 3x90 points?

The rendering of craters is messed up in CM, at least with my graphics settings. The textures seem to clip through the terrain, which makes the craters nearly invisible from a distance.

I think it's like that for everyone. Same with shadows flicking off as they get close to the camera edge etc.

Anyway, onwards with the AAR.

Thanks.. I now feel sorry I even asked and caused you that much extra work.
Don't - you asked where the rockets were aimed, not where each crater is. Painting them on the map was my own initiative, I just thought it would be a useful addition to the DAR.

The Russians have small modules of 300mm rockets, 90 points each, all 16 rockets fired in a single salvo. They also have a big module with 96 rockets, but these take long to reload - about 5 minutes. I think that these fire 32 rockets in one salvo. Then you have to wait ~10-15 minutes for the barrage to end, and you can't go too far in the meantime because the rockets fall all over the place. So, buying a greater number of smaller modules gives me more flexibility - to launch everything at one time, for example. Titan likes them too and he spent 3x 90 points on them in our previous battle, if he bought regulars.

I think it's like that for everyone. Same with shadows flicking off as they get close to the camera edge etc.
OK, good to know. Perhaps one of the less important things but should get fixed nonetheless.

Last edited:
Great DM. Looking forward to this! I see you get no breathing room coming out of the gate. Titan owns 3/4 of the map!

Wondering about your choice of 300mm rockets... Were you going for something big enough to knock out bunkers and tanks, or were those rockets just generally the best bang for the buck?

I would think that in such a map as this one, it might be better to get some smaller, cheaper rockets, since you could get more of those for the same price, and achieve a denser saturation. But again, I don't have CMRT, so I don't know what the options are, and I'm sure you already thought about this...

Wondering about your choice of 300mm rockets... Were you going for something big enough to knock out bunkers and tanks, or were those rockets just generally the best bang for the buck?

I would think that in such a map as this one, it might be better to get some smaller, cheaper rockets, since you could get more of those for the same price, and achieve a denser saturation. But again, I don't have CMRT, so I don't know what the options are, and I'm sure you already thought about this...
Yes, I thought that immobilizing a tank could happen by a 300mm rocket (with a great deal of luck), but I mainly liked the fact that I can fire them all at one time. They are reasonably effective - not as much as the caliber figure might make you think, but they are effective and affordable. And the craters they make are too deep to be used by infantry as a defensive position...
I am not sure if they are the best bang for the buck, but I am happy with the exchange rate.

Turns 5-7. I continue deploying my troops around known defensive positions to get them under attack from different direction. I also keep stumbling upon new defensive positions - 6 more casualties are taken (and a second German casualty confirmed). Suddenly, I can see several German teams leaving their positions and pulling back, before I could develop my attack. Apart from two HMGs I have already discovered and two Panzerschrecks, which my opponent may have thought were in danger of getting overrun without getting a chance to shoot at a tank, I see some other infantry retreating that I had not spotted before. To an extent I understand that my opponent does not want to hold positions after they have been identified, but it still seems a little premature, and he is also leaving foxholes behind. The positions were good, they would give me a lot of trouble to clear. The pullbacks are shown with white arrows in the image below.

I want to move 2nd company across the road to the left, along with some armor, so I order the mortars to smoke the enemy AT bunker. Another AT gun is heard from a greater distance, area firing some infantry. I go after the sound and find a sharp, square-shaped incision in terrain: a second bunker. So, one can find the opponent's bunkers by just checking the map after deployment, even before having any contact...

GqoV28O.jpg

Turn 10. So far, things have been going fairly well. 1st company is leading the way out of the setup zone, with 2nd company joining on the left flank. My opponent had a line of defense ready to hit me right at the opening, and I lost 24 men so far - nearly all of them to German infantry directly firing at my infantry. In contrast, almost all German losses - 12 confirmed but perhaps 15-20 estimated - have been caused by Russian MGs and mortars using area targets. Russian infantry does not see; if it sees, does not shoot, or dies before it can shoot; and if it shoots, it misses. Only one kill so far has gone to a Russian soldier firing at a German soldier.

The effect of turn 1 artillery is unknown, but here's a video of it. As I said, a lot of noise.

I have 8 confirmed HMG contacts, mostly veteran units. Two pulled back probably intact, two more pulled back with light casualties. One retreated with heavy casualties from mortar fire, reduced to one man. One more was knocked out and my opponent has kept it holding the line. The remaining two - one just a sound contact - are still fighting on the forward line. Apart from this I spotted three panzerschreck team. Two were seen pulling back with other infantry, the third one was taken down but since then probably recovered. Assorted infantry is part pulling back, part staying. This one LMG team has been a pain:

In order to move 2nd company from the setup zone to the left flank, I had to lay smoke in front of the closest enemy bunker. With gentle winds coming from the north, the conditions are ideal for smoke. The second bunker has been quiet since Turn 7 and I found a third bunker further back - again a square block sitting in the terrain, visible before any contact is made. I wasn't looking for it, but it just stands out. It might be an MG bunker. I can't tell until I see it or hear it shooting.

I am not sure why my opponent pulled back before putting up much of a fight - perhaps he expected a more reckless advance on my part and wanted to take advantage of it. I want to keep pressure along the entire frontline and adapt to the resistance encountered. Ideally I would like to break through by the left edge of the map, where the defenses are likely to be weaker, judging by the position of the bunkers. However, I also want to keep the advance along the center and right. We will see how it goes.

7vHbiGg.jpg

How are you able to tell if the HMG teams are veterans? I thought that info only showed at the end of the battle?

I got $50 that says those troops are very high quality, accuracy and reaction like that isn't seen with anything less. The strategy is pretty good too, ambush and fall back, ambush and fall back, this way he can get the most bang for his buck from his expensive troops and wear down your morale and eat up time.
Just my 2c but in this situation I'd be concentrating forces on one side with the majority of your armour to punch through en masse with lots of supporting area fire, have a blocking force in the centre to prevent him from attacking your flank, then when he either attempts to attack the blocking force or fall back, have another smaller force at the north of the map to push in there. He either has to retreat or be caught in a pincer.

Good DAR so far though, really enjoying it. :cool:(y)

Back