Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Expeditions: Rome

Update to follow but I thought I'd upload this selfie of me and Cleo while I was here.
-----
IIbsmer.png

Intel said that finally we had conquered/pacified the surrounding territories.
Uh, nupe! Not even close as I clearly see some regions of the strategic map to the S/E as highly unconquered. I'm guessing
those are the forces opposing Cleo's power grab. Not to mention the small matter of a powerful tribal elder who has his people
dug in behind a town's fortifications that would make Vercingetorix proud. I am now engaged in what I believe the devs call a siege!
What's happened is I had to divide my force into groups of 6-4-4. This means you need to get all hands on deck so anyone you had
in your camp assigned to run/improve things needs to be available to fight.
Once that's done each group is assigned to an area to attack. Once the attack starts you fight in all the areas at once, bouncing from
one to another. You can pick up on the details yourself. Needless to say this is tense and bloody hard. At this point I have no idea how
I'm doing or what I should do next.
Very challenging indeed. And a very original design for tactical battles.

Uh, oh. Defeat!.
One of the victory requirements is to have one of the 4-man groups set fire to two bridges w/i 6 turns.
I realized I wasn't going to even come close, but sometimes those conditions are not always determinative for victory.
This one is. I put all my best soldiers in the 6-man main assault group, thinking that would be the hardest. Wrong.
So, it's a restart with four of my best in the bridge burning attack. The problem is now all of the battles have to be fought
again as well. This is why games take me so long...sometimes.
Remember this story if/when you play.

Oh, my!
This time I put 4 of my best in the "burn the bridges" battle and started seeing the same problem over again.
Quickly realized I was going to have to avoid combat when possible, and move forward regardless. I also saw that I would not have to actually
go onto the bridge, but would be able to throw a torch at a bride target hex and save about 6 hexes.
OK, one bridge down two turns to go and two men to get there.
Uh, oh. One turn to go and bridge is within sight but there is a 2 hex choke point and three militia in my way. Militia are the weakest troops
and if you kill one you get your action point back. Action point is used to attack but you can keep attacking ever time you kill militia. One of
my men tosses a spear (free AP) and damages militia but does not kill him. My other guy kills that militia and opens a lane through the choke
point, but has to go through two guys zone of control will allows them opportunity attacks which we other wise know as defensive fire. Nothing
to do but try to charge through. I start him running and...he moves passed w/o being attacked! He keeps going and tosses his torch on the bridge
and I watch it burst into flames and fall into the ravine. I WIN! As fellow war gamers you can appreciate my relief!.
Turns out militia are so weak they don't have opportunity attacks. I didn't recall that.
Last turn, last man, last attack, last move and last torch. Hard to get closer then that.
The siege battles continue, but I have to believe I've gotten through the hardest part.
Hmm. :unsure:

Uh, nupe! Not even close as I clearly see some regions of the strategic map to the S/E as highly unconquered.
Just curious. What's the difference between a "highly unconquered" region versus a "Moderately or lowly unconquered" region?

With a dress like that you sure her name isn't Cleo-pet-ra...

I was trying to subtly point out how the game's description of the strat map having been conquered and what reality looked like.
Oh, okay, you were stating that a region that was shown as conquered was in fact still being highly contested and was not really conquered. Got it,duh!

Finally vanquished the hostile tribes. Those that saw the light, and decided being on the Roman side was the wise decision, have furnished
enough volunteers to put another legion in the field. Yeah, concerned about troop quality, but forming another legion was the whole point
as it was decided one legion wasn't enough to deal with Ptolemy's forces. At least I may be able to use them for quicker expansion and city
garrison duties.
I suspect they may be more of a "money pit" rather than anything actually useful. More challenges. (sigh)
I continue to be impressed with the AI, both enemy and friendlies. Can't really say that too often in war games so it should be noted here.
With the tribes out of the way it is now time to conquer once again. The strat map says there are now 7 new territories to deal with.
"Grab the eagle, it's time to move out!"

Doing well.
Just have one more territory to pacify and then it looks like I will have to take Ptolemy's army head-on for the BIG BATTLE.
I wish there was an honest to God manual to read. I am still learning details while being more than 60% (I think) through the game.
For example, the Banner. I tried and failed to craft it a couple of times but kept either forgetting or remembered and then realized I'd
used the primary ingredient, Linen, on something else. Why is/was linen so bloody rare in the game? I mean with the amount of cloth
armor in the game one would think... Anyway, finally remembered when in a battle I saw the enemy plant their Banner. After they did
that their forces sorta YOLO'd and launched an unexpectedly fierce attack against me. I thought "I want one of those!" So, I made one
and the next tactical fight was in a tomb. I had no space to erect it. Then, the next tactical fight was one of those where I can only use
one Praetor and 5 hired Centurions. The Praetor I chose wasn't carrying it. This has given me plenty of time to research into exactly what
banner does and how it works. Uh, I still don't know. There is just not info readily available that explains its use. Gotta remember to carry it
into battle next time. LOL
Cleopatra has been ominously quite for some time now. I really don't trust Cleo. Can't wait to see what she has planned for me! She is kinda
cute, in a rather obvious sort of way.
----
Tactical Tip: Caltrops. Get them. Use them. Use them a LOT! I don't see how anyone could win a battle at this point in the game without sprinkling
these liberally around the battlefield.
GYaIcOrl.jpg

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: After my last post I went to the game. My band was trotting along a road when we first heard, and then saw, a loan rider galloping after us at full speed.
We slowed to allow him to catch up. He arrived shortly and came to a hard stop, both horse and rider panting heavily.
It turns out he was a messenger from "Queen" Cleopatra. She was summoning me to meet her as soon as possible for an urgent talk.
I've been "summoned."
This should be good. I'll let you know what she has in mind.

Turns out Cleo heard from her little brother. It appears he wants to parlay with us and has guaranteed our safe passage to
Alexandria for the meet. She thinks its a good idea because she might be able to manipulate him into a bloodless end to
this conflict. More importantly, for me, is that she says he is a meticulous record keeper. He writes down and saves everything
he does. This means there may be written records of his dealings with the traitorous Roman Senator which is the whole reason
I'm sitting here broiling under the scorching Egyptian sun. Agreed to meet her there.
Meanwhile, all is not done in the territories as minor skirmishes continue and the sole remaining province I need to take down
includes the huge City of Memphis. It is big and intimidating.
I desperately need one more farming resource to have enough to upgrade to a level 3 armory. This will allow me to start improving
all my armor and weapons and I really want to be well into that before my time in Egypt comes to an end. Preferably before I get
involved in what will undoubtedly be my biggest battle to date.
"Ahmed! Get my horse. I'm not going to ride that damn camel!!"

Well, "negotiations" went pretty much as expected.
Everyone agreed that the next time we get together we will all do our best to kill each other.
Better news is that I've accomplished all I need to finish up with Egypt as I've done all the conquering I can
and am now just left with dealing with Ptolemy and getting the evidence on those Roman traitors. I know
where it is, I just have to deal with the "big battle" for Alexandria. There seem to be some minor quests to
deal with before that happens, but no hurry as I do know how to get to the end of Egypt (I think).
I'm going to approach the battle of Alexandria a little bit differently than other major fights. Not going to try
to get through it in one sitting. I suspect the devs are going to make my life very difficult so I think I break it
up into a couple of sessions, or more.
If I get tired I'll make mistakes.

Turns out the attack on Alexandria was really limited to attacking the Royal Palace. And that wasn't all that difficult, although as usual
the devs threw a couple of things my way I had not seen before. Did not see the overwhelming number of enemies or practically any
tactical weapons used against me and that was a very good thing indeed.
I allowed Cleopatra to survive which was optional. I wonder how that affects the end game? Uh, she did invite me to come back and visit.
Hmm. Oh, anyway, I'm back in Rome and the legion has disbanded once again. I failed to get the necessary evidence to expose the
traitors so that problem continues. I'll be spending some time here as more back story is developed about my core Praetors and side quests
are chased down. We can all use the rest.
I know where the story takes me next and it will be a beetch!

Well, soo much going on in Rome!
Cleopatra made a surprise visit and we, uh, got along well.
One of my Praetors killed a man responsible for her previous slavery status and the death of her sister and I had to use my
influence to get her released, not to mention talking her out of her suicidal mood.
My best friend was trying to get a servant girl, and the mother of his little girl, released from her master. I had to extort her
master into her release.
Uh, what else? Oh, yeah. Rome was attacked by Gallic warriors committing random mayhem and bloodshed. The rumor has it
that they were actually after me! WTF? They did attack my villa and seriously injured my mother. They did not leave the villa alive.
The Senate has declared war on Gaul. Yea! The Senate also made The overall commander of the campaign my hated foe, Consul
Lurco the overall commander of the expedition.
We arrived at the Legion camp only to be stopped by guards demanding we hand over our weapons before entering by order of
Consul Lurco. I refused and we beat the grapes out of them. I'm now walking up the hill to Consul Lurco's tent to have a talk.
I've got a bad feeling about this.

Lurco and I had built an uneasy truce and then he tried to kill me and my companions. My team was given a job to make a flanking advance
and Lurco and his Legion would come straight ahead and meet up with us. When we got to our position neither Lurco nor his Legion were
anywhere to be found. Post battle he has requested a meeting. I'm sure he will have a very logical explanation for the failure. He always does.
I met King Vercingetorix!! He was very cool. He is currently trying to find out who attacked Rome and has authorized providing us with some food
as we are short given the speed the legions were formed and sent to Gaul. Meanwhile Lurco has ordered us to follow the Senate's demands and
seemingly attack any tribe that is nearby. WTF.
So the grind for conquering/pacifying territories continues while the attack on Rome remains a mystery.

Back