Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

FGM Ladder 2017...let's discuss possible changes

Okay gather round everybody.

Here are some examples of what the ladder would have looked like under the two systems proposed so far. (But not ELO just yet). Note "2016 Official Rank" equals their current standing on the 2016 Ladder under current rules. Names listed are in order based on the player average of the new system in place. If you want to know what it would be without the average just look for the biggest number in the darker shaded column.

Firstly @Nelson1812 with what I'm calling the 'Soccer League Approach.' (Alright Football). It's simply 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw. Nothing on size of battle and no point change depending on the degree of victory or defeat.
Nelsons%20System_zpswdkcrdrs.jpg

Essentially it's whoever plays the most games that gets top overall score. The averaging against the number of games that player has played also doesn't do much to make it a more level playing fields since there is only values of 3's, 1's and 0's to play with. Real strong chance of gaming the system and also for draws to occur on the ladder rankings at the end of the year. Simple methods work in the professional sporting arena where the number of games are fixed and teams rotate, but CM of course has to be a bit more complicated.

@Meat Grinder 's system is essentially changing the values assigned to the current ladder setup including the introduction of negative values for losses. (Scroll up for point breakdowns). It does provide some greater weighting towards the number of wins you receive I grant you, but the top ranked players are generally still in the mix in some way.

Meat%20Grinders%20System_zps25tsavsj.jpg

Changing point values is easy and if the club wants to go down that route I can implement any changes that in literally a minute. However for the amount of change it actually does on the ladder is it worth it? No to mention this is a friendly club ladder, there isn't a $100 000 prize waiting for the winner around Christmas. (Unless @Bootie has been hiding something from me ;) ) Not saying it's a problem but I think what's throwing a lot of people is the fact we award 50% of the potential available points to battle size which means the straight win's vs losses don't have as much effect as a serious competition ladder. Again, the answer is probably not simply removing the battle size points since that would just encourage everyone to play as many tiny battles as possible.

ELO... yeah still looking into integrating it into the current setup.
Have fun.

Just to throw something else into the mix, all the battles have a points score at the end. How would just using that work, with appropriate multipliers for battle size and length etc?

QBs are out of 1000 points I think, scenarios vary but the total points available is usually stated somewhere and it should be easy enough to convert to an 'out of 1000' number.

Alternatively, what about just working it out by kills and casualties multiplied by objectives secured, something like that.

Just throwing stuff at the wall here :p

@Ithikial Thanks!

Now, if it isn't too much trouble, can you show us a table with my system without the "Player Average" column and just have them in descending order of points?

Also, I would like to see a table with Nelson's system (3 points for a win, 1 for a draw) but with the addition of -3 (negative 3) points for a loss (without the "player average" column and listed in descending order of points). I'm wondering how this would compare to my proposed system which takes battle size and victory level into account. If they produce very similar results, there may be no need for the added complication.

Last edited:
Just to throw something else into the mix, all the battles have a points score at the end. How would just using that work, with appropriate multipliers for battle size and length etc?

QBs are out of 1000 points I think, scenarios vary but the total points available is usually stated somewhere and it should be easy enough to convert to an 'out of 1000' number.

I believe that would simply bring us back to "he who plays the most games wins".

Alternatively, what about just working it out by kills and casualties multiplied by objectives secured, something like that.

Just throwing stuff at the wall here :p

That sounds complicated. ;)

ELO system is almost certainly the best. The system I came up with (giving negative numbers for losses) was my attempt to not have the player who simply plays the most games (which happens to be me this year) run away with the ladder. I'm not sure it succeeded, because I still scored the most points, even after subtracting the negative points for my losses. @Ithikial introduced the "averaging" (against the number of games played) aspect this year, but it has produced some very (to me) oddball results, such as @Hapless being ranked #4 on the ladder with only two wins reported. :confused:

Last edited:
And yeah... how did Hapless get up there @Ithikial?
Replied in other thread. The battle size/length score guarantees x number of points regardless of battle result. Essentially the battle result score is only half the number of points a player can get awarded for each game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That ladder has been running well before Raz.

That's correct. the ladder was running way before i joined theblitz. However, with very small exceptions, the code which is *now* running on the server has been written by me. In a nutshell, i rewrote almost the entire ladder code.
Funny enough, though, one of the original few pieces of code still in use is the ELO computations. It was developed by the webmaster who i think developed the original theblitz site. Since i haven't met the guy - he was long gone when i joined - i can't tell you who he is.

But that doesn't really matter. Even i somehow gain the permission to make that piece of code public, i doubt you can use it as it is, because it's just a small part of a whole. Unless, you just use the math from that code and compute the elo scores for both players by hand. But i guess that's not very feasible, to put it mildly.

We have two months to iron this out.

@Ithikial Again I ask, if it isn't too much trouble, can we see a graphic of the 2016 ladder results so far with my proposed 2017 system and without your "player average" column and just in descending order of points earned? If you are too busy, I'll try to cobble something together.

Once we have a visual representation of that, we can compare it to your already posted table of my proposed system with your averaging for number of games played.

Oh, and @raz_atoth , welcome to FGM! ;-) I think we played a CMFI game on the Blitz?

I am in favor of what @Ithikial produces, he has done a great job the last two years....

I'm not going to jump on that train just yet. While I certainly appreciate the fact that @Ithikial has administered the FGM ladder since I've been a member, there is definitely room for improvement. 2015's champion was DeliJonut, who won purely on number of games played, a fact that he himself noted. Not to take anything away from DJ.....he was/is a very good player......I should know since I played several games (and lost one or two) against him.

Now we move to the 2016 ladder, and I have pointed out several anomalies, such as @Hapless being #4 in spite of only having reported 2 wins, and @Cargol is at the number 10 spot with 19 wins, 2 draws, and 3 losses?

Last edited:
Is that ELO programme I provided any use? @Ithikial

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Yeah take a look on the regular ladder workbook, the far right worksheets. A few errors I'm still trying to work out why they are exist in the first place. In short we can blame @Hedgehog and the battles he's played in 2016. ;)

Yeah take a look on the regular ladder workbook, the far right worksheets. A few errors I'm still trying to work out why they are exist in the first place. In short we can blame @Hedgehog and the battles he's played in 2016. ;)
That was a good Year indeed.....I have been a bit slow this year.....I shall return :)

Ok guys... Ive pulled on my wellington boots and am jumping into this mire.

As of 2017 I will be giving Ithikial a break from the ladders and I will do the updating and such like.

Its apparent we are not going to have a perfect ladder. We have neither the funds to pay someone to do it... (we are talking thousands of pounds and its not feasible at all when our operating budget is usually in the very low hundreds) nor the expertise within our ranks to run something which will rival the likes of The Blitz ladder which in my opinion is the best there is out there.

At this point in time we gotta ask ourselves what we want from a ladder... and I will go first...

I just want a simple ELO based ladder that is not too hard to update and doesnt get bogged down with battle size modifiers and the like (the Blitz have that already).....
I would like a system that can be embedded on our website so players can look through the different pages of their player history and see individual results against each other and their complete career history too...
I want to ditch the yearly ladder and just run an all time ladder starting from 2017... it is my belief players prefer to view the ladder stats over a long time as opposed to yearly comps....

I am close to providing the above but I will not put in a lot of hours getting it squared away if it is not what people want....

The other option is the football score ladder...

+3 for a win
1 each for a draw
-3 for a loss

Simple yet effective.

Please discuss.....

Back