Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Field of Glory II: 1000AD - Campaign in development

We are now in CAMPAIGN SEASON 1 TURN...

1000 AD economics explanation 4.jpg

The Field Army attacks Navarre -- who has a 1 SP garrison and roll a 4 to muster a 7 SP army to face the invading Andalusians.

1000 AD economics explanation 5.jpg

The Battle ends in a victory for the Andalusians -- the garrison 1 SP is destroyed (if a non-faction province loses its field battle, it loses 1 garrison SP ... so, in the case of a 1 SP province, it is conquered straight away, there is no siege)

The Andalusian army does not come away unscathed and loses 2 SP's and is reduced to a strength of 7.

The Al Andalus faction gains +1 Gold in plunder for capturing the province.

(there is always a once-off plunder award of half a provinces economic strength on capture)

More tomorrow (off to dinner ) ... I basically want to run through a whole campaigning year...

We continue with the play through.

Now at start of the CAMPAIGN SEASON 2 turn.

1000 AD economics explanation 6.jpg

We have a carry over of 3 Gold from the last turn and 16 Gold new income from the provinces. (no garrison yet in Navarre, so no new income from that province yet)

The current forces and garrisons cost 13 Gold to maintain ( 4 for the garrisons, 7 for the field army, 2 for the active deployed fleet), so that leaves 6 Gold available for this round. (as you can see, money gets tight very quickly)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Al Andalus decides on the following (see below)

Actions:
1. Reinforce the Field Army in Navarre by 1 SP -- that French army looks threatening
2. Install 1 Garrison SP in Navarre

That costs 4 Gold, leaving 2 Gold in reserve for the next round.

1000 AD economics explanation 7.jpg

The French field army invades Navarre and the Norman fleet from Sicily decides to contest the Western Mediterranean ... two battles ensue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mixed results for the Al Andalus forces:

1000 AD economics explanation 8.jpg

1. The Fleet in the Western Med scores a victory and sinks the Norman fleet ( +1 Gold plunder point is added to the treasury) -- DM rolled a 6 on the Naval Battles chart.

2. The Field Army in Navarre is heavily defeated and suffers 50% losses and is reduced to 4 SP's and disorganised (caused by 50% + losses) and retreats to Granada.

The French Field army besieges the Navarre garrison, hoping to reduce them by end of the next and last Campaign Season Turn for the year.

We move on to CAMPAIGN SEASON TURN 3 -- the last turn covering the summer/early fall campaigning season.

At the start of this turn the situation looks like this:

1000 AD economics explanation 9.jpg

The Al Andalus faction have 9 Gold available to spend this turn.

The field army in Granada is in tatters -- only 4 SP's strong and disorganised after its heavy defeat last turn -- and the garrison of newly acquired Navarre province under siege. (so no income for that province, but it also pays for itself as being cut off by siege)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following actions are decided on and this is how they play out:

1000 AD economics explanation 10.jpg

1. The Field Army is reorganised and reinforced by 2 SP's (costing 5 Gold in total) -- with an eye to perhaps taking the costly risk of attacking the French army in Navarre in THE FALL turn.

2. The Fleet is sent back to harbour in Granada (to save money) -- and there is no longer a threat from the Norman Sicily fleets until they can rebuild.

The Navarre garrison gets a lucky break with the SIEGE ROLL and rolls a 6, which extends their holding out their siege by 1 additonal turn.
The SIEGE ROLL has no adverse loss effects on the French besieging army.

Thus ends CAMPAIGN SEASON TURN 3.

We are into the last turn of YEAR 1 of the campaign ... the FALL Season ... where you are able to fight battles and maintain sieges if necessary, but the maintenance cost of all active field and fleet units DOUBLES.
Also, any Fleet units deployed at sea during the FALL or WINTER turns are subject to STORM DAMAGE rolls.

1000 AD economics explanation 11.jpg

The Al Andalus faction at start of the FALL turn has Navarre under siege by the French field army and their own field army of 6 SP facing down the enemy across from Granada.

The Andalusians can either keep their army in the field and possibly counter-attack the French to relieve the Navarre garrison which would probably fall by end of the FALL turn, or gamble on the fact that the French can't afford the cost to keep the army in the field over FALL into WINTER and disband their Granada army as well and go into winter quarters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1000 AD economics explanation 12.jpg

The Andalusians decide on disbanding their army -- good thing as the French do the same.

A field army that gets disbanded, earns a refund bonus of 25% (a quarter) of its SP strength rounded up as a refund. (This represents a core of trained and experienced men and equipment that has survived the campaigning season -- good reason to keep your casualties down.

This means the Al Andalus faction carries over 11 Gold into the WINTER season were their income will have increased by 2 Gold as Navarre returns into the fold.

That would conclude the first year of campaigning.

The faction has fought two major battles and one naval battle.

The faction players would've also possibly played as non-faction commanders in other battles initiated by their opponents.

Would you be interested in being a faction leader yourself Rico? Id volunteer as your army general.

Current play test situation ... Germans are attacking into Denmark ( I am fighting this battle vs @Nelson1812 -- Germand vs Vikings ) ... the Pecheneg raiders move into Thrace ... the Byzantines move an army across to cover Constantinople.

The Fatamid navy has beaten back the Byzantine navy in the Levant and is preparing to counter-invade and defeat the besieging army in Cyprus, which is now cut off from naval support.

LDdOv6R.jpg

Sounds vaguely familiar.

Who plays which side?

The name of the sea north of DK is spelt Skagerrak by the way :)

Thanks -- will correct on map. (y)

I am playing Danes/Vikings ... Germans have 1000 points , the Vikings 900 .... the Vikings also have to use AUTO SELECT for their army as they had to scrape together reserves to rebuild their army after getting heavily defeated last turn and losing half their army.
Viking armies suffer quite a bit from lack of cavalry.

Still have to finalise the "Viking Raiding mechanic which would allow them to earn income by raiding.

A couple of points about the map of Scandinavia. I know you want to set up the map for game balance too, but just for your inspiration:

In the year 1000, the power centre of Denmark was likely in the town of Jelling, in central Jutland, not on Sealand where Copenhagen is today. If you want to place the little castle icon in the right spot :)

Norway was in those days under the rule of the Danish king (Svend Tveskæg). So Denmark could start out with Norway under its control.

Norway was historically poorer than Denmark, because wealth in those days mostly came from agriculture, and Norway has little farmland. They did have plenty of sheep and fish though. Maybe the value should be set at 2 instead of 4?

Götaland should be worth fewer points too. It was not an economical power centre back then, as far as I know. While big, a lot of it is mountains and dense pine forest. Only the southern parts comprised good farmland. Should have a value of 2 points, I think.

A couple of points about the map of Scandinavia. I know you want to set up the map for game balance too, but just for your inspiration:

In the year 1000, the power centre of Denmark was likely in the town of Jelling, in central Jutland, not on Sealand where Copenhagen is today. If you want to place the little castle icon in the right spot :)

Norway was in those days under the rule of the Danish king (Svend Tveskæg). So Denmark could start out with Norway under its control.

Norway was historically poorer than Denmark, because wealth in those days mostly came from agriculture, and Norway has little farmland. They did have plenty of sheep and fish though. Maybe the value should be set at 2 instead of 4?

Götaland should be worth fewer points too. It was not an economical power centre back then, as far as I know. While big, a lot of it is mountains and dense pine forest. Only the southern parts comprised good farmland. Should have a value of 2 points, I think.

Yes, I am aware that the Danish Kingdom looked a little different then :cool: ... a bit of game design artistic license for game balance ... I wanted to space the faction capitals with at least one buffer province (or sea zone) between them -- and keep the provinces down to a manageable number and the economic resource points as simple and streamlined as possible.
In that area of Europe things would just get a little too crowded.

For game design purposes, also the Normans in Sicily/southern Italy were also not a thing yet for nearly half a century ... so am conflating several periods for effect.

The one thing I have been unsuccessfully so far wracking my brain over is the victory conditions for the factions...

By accumulating the most wealth, of course . . . ;)

More seriously, I can't think of any other metric. Wealth equates to power the most equitably among all these realms.

Don't listen to Uncle Scrooge... The way to achieve victory in these dark ages is obviously through conquest!

WillingNastyBactrian-max-1mb.gif

So, I processed the FALL, WINTER and SPRING turns and we are in the 1st Summer Campaign Turn of Year 4.

These are the two battles @Nelson1812 and I are fignting at the moment:

Regrouping time for the Byzantines after the disaster of having their army destroyed on Cyprus (it couldn't retreat after their defeat as their fleet had been driven from the Levant sea by the Fatamid navy)
After the WINTER turn break, they mustered a strong army to oust the Pechenegs barbarian raiders out of Thrace (also to regain the income from that province)

y1d2oHg.jpg

The Fatamids deployed their fleets again and mustered an army in Cilicia to put the squeeze on the Byzantines, but then a DAILAMI army mustered to attack either Mosul or Aleppo and the Fatamid army about faced and marched to Mosul and faced the Dailami in battle in Mosul.
(The Dailami were a Persia/Iraq-based empire -- successors to the Abbssids.)

Meanwhile, at the other end of the map...

The Vikings are raiding Scotland (there will be special die roll and chart to handle plunder they can gain form that and how garrison size or presence of field armies affects that )

The Anglo-Saxons have launched their fleet in the channel and have mustered the largest army they could afford and are invading Normandy (a nice reversal of history)
This battle will be fought next.

The French saw the fleet and army deployed and kept their army in their capital, just in case the English were going after Flanders.

The Germans have decided that the Normans in the south were getting too bit for their boots and have launched an invasion of Carinthia -- this is the 4th battle of this turn.

The Danes/Vikings have also decided they want Pomerania back from the Germans and, seeing the Germans are busy in the south, have launched a fleet in the Baltic, crossed with an army and are now besieging that province -- with little chance of the Germans making it back there before end of the campaigning season in this year.

87drpnP.jpg

NOTE: Orders and moves are all carried out simultaneously by the DM...

So, I can see how potentially diplomacy and alliances and betrayals could really make this campaign fun :) ... especially for the French and Germans stuck in the middle...

Situation currently -- we've moved along into YEAR 5, campaign season turn 2

Anglo-Saxons got kicked out of Normandy last by the French (who did some sneaky winter campaigning and the English just ran out of cash to keep their armies going) who have now turned south to fight the Andalusians to retain control of Navarre.

Anglo-Saxons are saving money and building a navy for possible invasion of Norway ... an Anglo-Saxon fleet has eliminated the Viking raiding fleet in the North Sea.

German Kingdom, after last year campaigning in the south and defeating the Normans in Carinthia, have turned their attention north to eliminate the Viking threat (who also snatched Pomerania from them last last year)

The Italian Norman Kingdom army has marched through Carinthia 9raiding as they go) and attacked and defeated the rebellion in Croatia (I played this one out quickly against AI -- was walkover for Normans)

The Andalusians continue to try and weaken France and attacked Navarre with an eye on next year expanding their North Africa domains into Tripolitania.

The Byzantines have weathered the storm of the Pecheneg invasion and repeated naval defeats against the Fatamids and have finally wrestled control of the Levant from them and are besieging Cilicia.

The Fatamids are in serious trouble ... with losing naval control of the Levant, their economic income from Cyprus and Cilicia is choked off and their inability to evict the Dailami/Arab coalition from Mosul also has impacted on their economic situation.
Money is running short and fleets need to be built to contest the Byzantines in the Levant...
One more attempt by them to regain Mosul next turn...

RJb11ac.jpg

Back