Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Fighting Flattops

J

JimBob

http://www.fightingflattops.com/

Anyone interested in playing a game of Fighting Flattops? It's surprisingly in-depth for a browser based simulation but it has been years since I've toyed with it, and even then it was just briefly. The little time I did spend in it was quite fun though.

Essentially, go hunting for the opponents fleet! Use land-based scout planes to establish long-range patrol patterns. Deploy submarine screens to pester any straggling ships or set them up as a stealthy picket line. Make sure you're not reloading your planes when the bad guys show up above your carriers.

The one game I played in this ended in disaster when the enemy carrier force came out of the one area I had thought them least likely to be...and so I'd sent my scarce recon resources elsewhere. If I remember correctly, 3 of my carriers were badly damaged and their aircrews virtually wiped out as the enemy planes found my own aircraft in the act of rearming.

*Browser-based naval strategy game
*Play-by-email

Just send me a shout if you're interested!

Looks very interesting, I like that it's browser-based, something to look into when I'm at work I think.
Thanks for sharing JimBob.

If you've played board games like "Flat Top" or "CV", this is up your alley. It's more sophisticated than people think. I currently have 2 PBEM's going, just sank three British CV's in a what if scenario. Great fun, great price-free!

That's my first turn sent off, will see if I get any reply.
I like this, from what I have seen so far anyway, instruction seems a bit light, all I can find is the introductory video.

Anyone know where I can find a players guide or manual? (if one exists)

Okay I'm at work right now so can't check it out but this seems pretty cool. Reminds me kind of the good old days when I played Intellivision Sea Battle. Anyone remember that?

I have another game going at the moment Villiamaza -- hopefully Floki can pick up the gauntlet? :)

Anyone up for a game?

I registered under this user name, so if you like look for Floki. To be honest I have no clue what I'm doing in this game so patience playing with me is required. LOL

Nice one! just completed my turn.
This will be a good battle to learn on, I've picked up a little through another game but it's too big too early and I'm drowning!
Made a boat (yup pun intended) load of mistakes already, here's a couple of them.

Check the time at the top of the screen, no point in launching any air operations after dark, not only will they not see any mission targets but will likely crash when they try to land (if it's still dark)

When launching separate air groups either from carriers (CV's) or bases, group them into a single air group (after launch) if they are on the same mission.

LOL Ya I made a boat load of mistakes in my first few turns in my first game. I'm hoping the guy I'm playing against did the same.

I recommend any FGM'ers to give this a try especially if you are into the Pacific naval battles. The price is right, Free and nothing to download.

@Villiamza and I have started a small scenario but I'm ready to play some more if there are other guys here who are interested in just trying it out.

For browser based game it's very good & well worth having a look, but for me it's the PBEM that really makes it interesting & because it's browser based I can play a turn at work. (during my lunch time of course!)

During lunch time yes ha ha. I played out our turn during lunch too. He he

Ok mate, will have a look tonight, did get a request but presumed it was from an unknown.

@Floki
"
Combat
AG 91000 hours 01 Apr

Our interceptors attacked enemy planes!

• One interceptor of 10 was lost to five recon gunners.
  • Four recon planes of five were downed by 10 interceptors."
Grumble grumble 2 to 1 odds, I not only lose an interceptor but 1 recon plane gets away grumble grumble.

:) I kind of like how this game operates, no fancy graphics and all you get is reports of what is happening. Makes me want to watch Midway

@Floki
"
Combat
AG 91000 hours 01 Apr

Grumble grumble 2 to 1 odds, I not only lose an interceptor but 1 recon plane gets away grumble grumble.

Villiamza, You still playing? You owe me a turn?

@Floki
"
Combat
AG 91000 hours 01 Apr

Got your latest. thanks, back to you

Back