Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Fixing Gettysburg

It seems like he wants a civil war movie to be like a Jerry Bruckheimer film.
Or maybe he should just watch snuff movies, maybe that would satisfy his blood&gore lust.
Here is his idé of Kingdom of Heaven

"...maybe that would satisfy his blood&gore lust..."
--
I think you may be reading a bit much into his intentions/opinions. And mine too for that matter.
I am emotionally capable of dealing with some blood and gore in a movie as needed.
Clearly, the scope of Gettysburg as a movie desperately cried out for more realism.
In that, it failed badly (IMHO).

Well in comparison "hacksaw ridge" had plenty of gore, and it sucked. When I listen to the guy it sounds like he wants Gettysburg to be like that movie.
He seems to think that the emotionel scenes are not worth keeping. He just wants the movie to be loud, chaotic, and gory.
Sorry but thats not gona be a good war movie. You can get a good action movie, yes, but not a war movie.
Cutting Gettysburg down to 90 min is sacrilege!

More/any blood wouldn't have improved Gettysburg, It doesn't need it.
I have actually never noticed how bloodless it is for a movie. Turner vs Hollywood perhaps?

No to his 'improvements' for fixing Gettysburg!
I personally dont think the inclusion of blood and gore would make it a better film and cutting it down to 90 minutes is crazy.
I like the extended version that included scenes of Ewell and Early even if the two actors involved should have switched roles.
My last pet peeve are those who wanted to include the fighting on Culps Hill or other actions to which my reply is when your Pulitzer prize winning manuscript is optioned for a movie then you can have some say in the development...maybe

@sspoom You're right about the trilogy except Michael Shaara only wrote Killer Angels (1975) and won a Pulitzer prize for it.
He died of a heart attack in 1988 (59).
His son Jeffrey carried on the family tradition and finished the trilogy his dad had started. His style is very similar.
Michael also wrote the baseball novel "For the Love of the Game" and was made into a movie (1999) which starred Kevin Costner that I thought was really good.

Back