Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

General post-WW2 pictures

Just added to my reading list...

5P4bPNI.jpg

WWII began with a metallic roar as the German Blitzkrieg raced across Europe, spearheaded by the most dreaded weapon of the 20th century: the Panzer. No German tank better represents that thundering power than the infamous Tiger, and Otto Carius was one of the most successful commanders to ever take a Tiger into battle, destroying well over 150 enemy tanks during his incredible career.

Still young enough to think war is an adventure and a game.

She could certainly tell if they had all clipped their nose hair.☺

A U.S. Marine sits on the bumper of a car that was destroyed when a huge bomb explosion wrecked the US Embassy in West Beirut, April 1983.
pqQDocN.jpg

Terrorist attack on the U.S. embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, on April 18, 1983, that killed 63 people. The attack was carried out as a suicide car bombing, in which a Chevrolet pickup truck that had been packed with about 2,000 pounds of explosives sped through the gate of the U.S. embassy in West Beirut and struck the building. The resulting blast killed 32 Lebanese workers, 17 Americans, and 14 other individuals. Among the Americans killed were a journalist and eight members of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). About 120 others were injured. Islamic Jihad, a group linked to the Iranian-backed Shīʿite Muslim militia group Hezbollah, claimed responsibility for the attack.

During his Army service, on 1958, Elvis leased himself a Christmas Gift when he decided he wanted a BMW 507. Here Elvis is seen in the Barracks Carpark in Germany with his new car.

Zvkr0Aq.jpg

Elvis first car in Germany was an old VW which he eventually gave to his German karate instructor. On Dec 21 1958, Elvis leased a BMW 507 from BMW Glöckler. The car was a 'used' one and Elvis knew this, formerly driven by racing ace Hans Stuck (1900/1976). Not understanding the contract written in German Elvis thought he was buying the car.
But no, he later learned it was only on lease and had to be returned when he left Germany. So BMW used the promotional value of Elvis driving their car, while Elvis had to pay for it.

Elvis had originally wanted a Porsche Spider, probably due to his being a James Dean fan.
However this was impossible to get immediately so Elvis took an interest in the BMW 507. Probably the reason he opted for the 'used' car was it's immediate availability.

The white BMW 507 caused a lot of problems for Elvis with some female fans writing greetings to Elvis, telephone-numbers, and 'I love you's' with pens and lipstick. Impossible to be removed completely.

from elvispresleymusic.com.au

Great post. Very interesting. Elvis should have "leased" a trusted translator.

I thought it was from an airshow. Thinking I wouldn't mind going to the next one. :)

The pic is from:

ILA Air Show 2008 - Berlin, Germany

The real treat for many aviation enthusiasts was to be the daily display by a restored Me-109 with one of five new build Me-262 replicas. Seeing them fly in formation was an amazing sight to say the least. Unfortunately on the first trade day of the airshow the Me-109 had an accident upon landing after its one and only flight with the Me-262. It performed a ‘ground loop’ which apparently is a historical problem with these aircraft due to the narrow track of its main landing gear. There was a rumour that almost as many pilots were killed landing the Me-109 than in combat… A Spitfire MK VI from the RAF Memorial Flight and a P-51D Mustang also flew at the air show and it was hoped they could have flown together. This was not to be. The Me-262 was a technological marvel in its day, being the world’s first Jet fighter, the first fighter with tricycle undercarriage and the first aircraft to use split-flaps. It flew only once more during the week.

https://www.milavia.net/airshows/ila-berlin-2008/

Back