Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

German heavy/medium armour

Possibly blown up by its crew, or one of the Tigers that US engineers blew up in Tunisia? It's so completely blown up I feel like it had to have been explosives inside the tank.

Rear idler wheel shot off your Panzer IV? ... no problem, just apply some "short tracking" to keep you going to the repair shop.

View attachment 22517
I'm trying to imagine what impact that would have on both acceleration/speed, as well as turning/maneuverability?? It would pivot faster to the left than normal, and slower to the right?

Tiger II #121 of s.Pz.Abt 101 on its return trip to Germany. Originally captured by US forces and shipped to the US for evaluation. It was returned to Germany in the 1950/60s where it sat outside the Munster Museum before receiving a better restoration and moved inside.

E1mqo_QXsAcb4y_.png

E1m-8unWQAUKmMc.jpg

Ever since Pinterest came along I have lost count of how many Tiger photos I've seen in which the front outer roadwheel, or in some cases even the entire front roadwheel pair, have been removed by the crew. It's so common that it can't just be battle damage or you would expect an even distribution of missing roadwheels, it has to be from problems with that particular roadwheel. And also odd, I have never once seen a Panther photo with missing front roadwheels despite the same suspension and the Panther being notoriously nose-heavy.

131.png

001.png

223.png

f4490b2a976025cf5686d381e8d50569.jpg

Interesting.
I did a look up of Tigers to see what it should look like with the front outer wheel.

I came up with Tiger 131 at the Bovington Tank Museum.

Ru31Cqo.jpg

LAnovrp.jpg

Reviewing your post I see the top picture is the same Tiger 131.
Here it is after being captured and in both pictures it does not have the front outer wheel.
I just might email the museum and ask why that is.

DBalwz7.jpg

Reviewing your post I see the top picture is the same Tiger 131.
Here it is after being captured and in both pictures it does not have the front outer wheel.
I just might email the museum and ask why that is.

Alfred Rubbel in History of Tiger Battalion 503 writes "The four outer roadwheels, starting with the front one, gradually freed themselves [while driving]."

But it appears that simply removing the wheel was a common field solution.

The shooter must play World of Tanks. Everybody knows that the StuG’s weak spot is the frontal lower glacis.
Regardless of that penetration, the assistant driver (who sits there?) seems to have gotten out alive...

Back