Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Greetings from lead of Burden of Command Team

Hi @HOA_KSOP didnt know that book. Will pass on to writers :)
Thanks!
Luke

Another one you might look at is Endgame, 1945. It's about the last 10 days of the war, where the author focuses on the experiences of several people, both military and civilian. The images evoked are in some cases horrifying. But they also give you a mindset for the soldiers near the end of the conflict.

@HOA_KSOP we see three paychological (and geographical) acts to our Cottonbaler campaign and the last ficuses on entering Germany and the end of the war. This book could be very useful, thank you, I will pass it on to the writers.
On a related note, a book I plan to read if and when we do a German campaign, is "The German War" about the German populations psychological perspective on the war, why it was being fought etc. it has gotten good reviews. We tend to see things only through an Allied prism.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Luke Hughes : one source that might be of general interest is the HBO documentary "Wartorn" which is the history and view on PTSD in the US Army from the Civil War to today. Since you aim to incorporate the psychological toll on soldiers in the game it is highly recommendet. You can probably fiind it on Youtube. Another interesting documentary, though I have forgotten the name, is an Isreali one that took its base in a series of interviews made by soldiers who took part in the 6 days war - interviews that were immediately classified due to their "unpatriotic" content. Now the interviews have been released and the people who made them (the famous author Amos Oz among others) went back to the soldiers they had interviewed and played the interview back to them. Their recollections and reactions are very interesting. It becomes apparent that even being in combat such a short period is extremely stressful on a soldier and can easily detach them from the purpose of the war. Hope you can find it somehow.

@HOA_KSOP we see three paychological (and geographical) acts to our Cottonbaler campaign and the last ficuses on entering Germany and the end of the war. This book could be very useful, thank you, I will pass it on to the writers.
On a related note, a book I plan to read if and when we do a German campaign, is "The German War" about the German populations psychological perspective on the war, why it was being fought etc. it has gotten good reviews. We tend to see things only through an Allied prism.
You know, I just saw a similar title for Japan, if I can find it I will send the title to you, Written by a Japanese historian, all about the Japanese experience. Will be a reference for future BoC DLC...

Hi @rocketman (and @HOA_KSOP), funny the team was just discussing modeling long term stress the other day. In this first campaign stress will be modeled very simple mindedly (no Darkest Dungeon mania ;) ), though it may trigger a few interesting narrative events, and I hope we can make it an interesting aspect of managing your company (like in DVG boardgames like Hornet Leader). When to have a given Lt have some r&r. But in subsequent campaigns we may try to spend more time on it for which these resources will be useful. Thank you.

Thanks @rocketman. You jest perhaps @mTk but Marlantes (a Rhodes scholar who left his scholarship to voluntarily serve in Vietnam and later became a well respected novelist) wrote in his book What It is Like to Go to War that war is a spiritual journey because like it or not you are now in the presence of death which is inherently spiritual. He calls it entering the "Temple of Mars." There is a very moving talk by him on his book and this topic at the Pritzer Military Library you can watch online for about three dollars (scroll down):
http://www.pritzkermilitary.org/whats_on/pritzker-military-presents/karl-marlantes-what-it-go-war/
If you watch I'd love to hear your thoughts here.

On the tactical side it was something like 8000 bullets per casualty (not death) on the WWII battlefield. It was all about the psychology of suppression, surprise, etc. But I suspect I am singing to the choir on this one :)

Hey @mTk forget it was you MontaraKid! The different avatar from Google threw me off :)

@Bootie you wish the deepest darkest secrets of BoC. But then you are a Field Marshall. Short version: they are in the works and are my central focus right now code wise, but I don't want myself committed (institutionally or morally) by saying too much right now. In our next dev blog I hope to go high level into. That being said I'll risk giving an "impression" at this stage by citing some inspirations:
-- board games: Squad Leader, Band of Brothers, Combat Commander, Fields of Fire, Conflict of Heroes Solo. I am drawing design inspirations from each of these. There has been considerable design creativity in the tactical board game space IMHO. There are other great systems these are just the ones especially influencing me.
-- digital (focusing on tactics not narrative): XCom (streamlining), Panzer General (lite RPG (xp gain etc)). I don't list Steel Panthers nor Close Combat nor Combat Mission because I don't feel there is something specifically about them that I am focused on (well I guess the psychological aspect implied by Close Combat). Which is not to say I don't like and admire those games :)

Announced Mechanics:
--Psychology focused – Morale, Stress, Experience, Trust, and Respect.. (maybe attention/surprise (not announced <--- SECRET! ;-) ) Small arms fire is more about suppression to further the 4Fs than about causing casualties (BoB).
--Units Gain Experience across battles
--Turn Based
--Single Player
--Dynamic Events cause Chaos
--Limited Command Points mean every decision counts.

Design focus -- the battlefield is chaos (CC, BoB, CoH-Solo) but leadership (SL, FoF) is decisive. Leadership is about command (FoF), motivate (SL, BoB), and preserve (PG, BoC ;-) ,).

There, now you can imagine what you'd like and then I promise you I will deliver something less than your imagination LOL

cheers,
Luke

Last edited by a moderator:
<snipped>
There is a very moving talk by him on his book and this topic at the Pritzer Military Library you can watch online for about three dollars (scroll down):
http://www.pritzkermilitary.org/whats_on/pritzker-military-presents/karl-marlantes-what-it-go-war/
If you watch I'd love to hear your thoughts here.
<snipped>
@Luke Hughes, as you say, the Pritzer video requires paid subscription. Are either of these links similar?

- What It Is Like To Go To War Right & Wrong

- Former Marine Lieutenant Karl Marlantes talks about his newly released autobiographical narrative, "What It Is Like To Go To War." He speaks of the profound impact being a front line soldier during war has made on his life.​

@Badger73 that page confuses everyone. The key is to scroll down and look for "$2.99" then you can buy it one off. The other links you provide I think are less of a "talk" so I recommend the Pritzker.

no Darkest Dungeon mania

A superb game, BTW, in case anyone on here doesn't know about it. Pretty sure I made a thread about it on FGM when it was released.

I haven't played it in a while, mostly because I became so attached to my fully leveled up heroes that I didn't want to lose another one. Death is permanent, as it should be.

Back