Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Hell let loose

Hell Let Loose website says:
Closed Alpha - Q1, 2018
Closed Beta - Q2, 2018
Steam Early Access - Q2, 2018

I had two more matches in Post Scriptum and I'll share my experiences again.
Each was in servers that had about 40 players per side. Both battles I did were with the British paras.

I thought I'd try the support squad, which had only one player in it at the time - not a very popular role.
The two of us drove trucks from the main base out to locations where we built stuff.
Respawn point, resupply station, MG nests, and mortar positions. We used the mortars, and we were directed by squad leaders on the front.
Apparently they helped quite a bit. Rinse and repeat - back to base to refill the trucks, and off to a new location as the front moved.
Not really my cup-of-tea, but my support leader seemed to be enjoying himself, and he knew his stuff.

The other one I arrived at mid battle, and chose a rifleman.
The paras had been pushed back almost to the main base and were trying to take the victory location next to it, which was a town (many of them are).
Followed my company through fairly open terrain that had a lots of abandoned gliders. It was nasty.
Fired at by small arms from the town, MG's, snipers, mortars and a Stug. I must have died about 12 times in a row without ever firing a shot. Never saw my assailants either.

Despite the fiasco, we were eventually able to take the town, and push on to the other locations.
Later I got separated from the main group, but teamed up with a sniper. We caused some mischief behind the German positions. Played cat and mouse with a German armoured car.
We came across an MSP (mobile spawn point - a truck). I lobbed a couple of Mills grenades under it before the match suddenly finished. The paras had snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

@General Sir Anthony C H M - I would like that very much. May I suggest you create a separate thread for Post Scriptum and keep Hell Let Loose here?
I am someone who has never played MMORG but is put off by what I've seen from World of Tanks and heard about of other Frag-your-Friends games. I am particularly interested in suggestions for how a newbie should start and how the two games differ from each other. Thanks for offering to do this.

@Badger73 support and medic roles are pretty good for those of us with slower reaction times. I aways thought I was pretty good at Arma until I played PvP within my group and realised the difference in reaction time between myself and someone 2 decades younger.

After that I took a more support and leadership roles which still allowed for a lot of enjoyment but acknowledged that there were players out there that were able to spot and engage much faster than I will these days.

I can only speak for Arma and I didn't need any special equipment but I did eventually invest in Track IR which moves the screen image relative to your head movement. It worked really well as it reduced the number of keyboard presses and increased my situational awareness.

@Josey Wales
Wow, I did not even know about TrackIR's haha! That's a pretty cool gadget.

I've also noticed that very often enemy players will be quicker to spot, aim and shoot than I am.
Might be an age thing I suppose. Could also be players with tons more experience doing first person shooter games.

When it's just iron sights (no scope) I find myself squinting at the screen to distinguish micro pixels.
I also find that I delay my shot a little bit to actually confirm it is enemy - because friendly fire is possible.

I enjoy trying lots of roles in the teams, but I tend to steer away from leadership roles if possible until I'm knowledgeable.

@Badger73
When I start a new team based game, I tend to do a little internet research into it before going in.
I check out some videos, and any guides that might be available.

When I enter the game for the first time, I try out a few basic things like shooting, reloading, going prone, standing up.
I might also go into the options to adjust some video settings, and look at the control list of buttons.

Then I will get a bit more adventurous and join some battles.
I will practice and learn. Sometimes team members will give some tips that are less than obvious to the newcomer.

If you have questions, I'm happy to share my (somewhat limited) experiences.

I am someone who has never played MMORG but is put off by what I've seen from World of Tanks and heard about of other Frag-your-Friends games.

Just a quick note on terminology - MMORPGs are usually considered to mean fantasy/scifi games where the aim of the game is to slowly accumulate points to make your character stronger (levelling up) The world is persistent.

Games like Medal of Honor, Postscriptum etc. are what's usually called FPS (First Person Shooters). While you do play a role (rifleman, medic...) in these games, you usually start over in each battle, and the world is not persistent. After a battle, everything resets next round.

Anyway, I also feel put of by the "cheap thrill" nature of many of these games. Jump into a tank, go on a wild joy ride, blast at anything like a shooting gallery, and then start over. No consequence to anything.

Even with the more serious games, it all depends on getting into a good server with serious people. Then it can be really enjoyable. I haven't played these new games, but I used to play a realism mod for Battlefield 2. Back then, it was the only semi-realistic game in town.

But that was ages ago. Now I start getting interested in playing PostScriptum. It seems interesting form the gameplay videos. Actually it seems better in real gameplay than in the trailers.

Last edited:
Just a quick note on terminology - MMORPGs are usually considered to mean fantasy/scifi games where the aim of the game is to slowly accumulate points to make your character stronger (leveling up) The world is persistent.
<snipped>

It's good to be precise, especially on a forum where English is not everyone's native tongue. Thank you for clarifying.
As you can see, my ignorance about such things is . . . boundless. :shocknaz:

It's good to be precise, especially on a forum where English is not everyone's native tongue. Thank you for clarifying.
As you can see, my ignorance about such things is . . . boundless. :shocknaz:

With the very important caveat "about such things", that may be true. But that's probably because you spent your youth more productively than I did :) I was an avid gamer back in my teenage years...

With the very important caveat "about such things", that may be true. But that's probably because you spent your youth more productively than I did :) I was an avid gamer back in my teenage years...

I am exceedingly jealous that you had much cooler toys than I ever did during our respective youths. ;)
I would trade my Davie Crocket Coonskin Cap for an Amiga or Playstation anytime!! :giggle:

Only 2 months until the 4th quarter of 2018 (wow 2018 went quickly), the expected release window. Looking forward to it.
We could organise a session to fight as an FGM squad.

Amazing what graphics look like nowadays... well, in some games at least :whistleo:

I’m always tempted by these sorts of games, and initially I seem to start off reasonably well. But, eventually the inevitable toxic parts of the community start to show up, and I lose interest quickly and just go away. If you are lucky, they will ignore you in their exasperation with your ineptness (real or imagined), and leave you to wander in circles until you die. If you aren’t lucky, they jump on you like a pack of hyenas and rip you a new one every time you show your face.

I’m not terribly sensitive to this kind of shyte, but it’s just a dumb game, a brief interlude from reality. Plenty of people in the real world who would like to slag me off on any given day.
Thats pretty much every gaming community! How bad is determined by the average age of the community, older the better, younger the worst. I've been online gaming for about 20 yrs and still have a blast doing it! I may not be as sharp or fast as I use to be, but so what, I just die more! :LOL: Sure as hell not gonna let a few idiots ruin it for me. Besides nowadays there's usually options to mute/block somebody.

Most forms of entertainment (books, game, movies, etc.) is escapism. Same goes for drug and alcohol abuse, it's just human nature. ;)

I’m always tempted by these sorts of games, and initially I seem to start off reasonably well. But, eventually the inevitable toxic parts of the community start to show up

Well, it's called Hell let Loose.. and as Sartre famously said, "Hell is other people"...

Back