Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

HI Everyone

Zeke_21

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Hi,

I decided to join after watching Combat Mission videos on youtube and hearing about the site. I started out wargaming in 1976. My first wargame was Foxbat and Phantom from SPI. It was probably too complex for me at the time. My uncle and I spent hours reading the instructions. Even back then I dreamed of a day when computers might be capable of running complex wargames.

Before long I was playing all sorts of board wargames. Squad Leader, Terrible Swift Sword, Panzer Leader, Panzer Blitz, ect. NATO vs Warsaw Pact was a popular theme at the time. I recently played some Flashpoint Campaigns which is excellent and looks like Combat Mission is going to do a Cold War Series!

I think my crowning achievement was playing SPIs War in the Pacific over the summer and fall in 1981 with a friend and 2 full PBEM campaigns of Gary Grigsby War in the Pacific in the mid 2000's.

I have own quite a bit of computer games-its one of my big hobbies-far more than I can play. I own all of the Combat Mission series and have many campaigns going on-I play for a while, take a break and come back to it.

I have a few combat mission h2h games under my belt so I have some idea of what to do-or I'm knowledgeable enough to be dangerous to myself. As a series I love Combat Mission. I've also started to like Gravteam. I bought Gravteam years ago, played it for a little while, then gave up. After recently watching video explaing Gravteam, I finally got the hang of it and find to to be a very good war simulator.

I also started buying broad games again. Mainly for collection purposes, but the Warfightseriers by DVG is playable solitare and looks interesting. Tank Duel by GDW and Tiger Leader and Thunderbolt Apache Leader by DVG also looks fun so I'll probably open them up and play.

Today Paradox released a big update to Imperator Rome so I'm checking it out at the moment.

I'll be retiring soon, so I should have lots of time for hobbies and interests. Would like to play some Combat Mission h2h. Maybe try Gary Grigsbys War in the West h2h.

Many years ago, some friends and I would have massive Squad Leader games using all of the modular map boards.
My friend's cat used to enjoy laying down in the middle of the battlefield when we weren't looking. :oops:

Warfighter looks interesting. I still have a boxed game called Up Front on my shelf - a Squad Leader card game!

Those board games like Squad leader and especially the expansions can go for a decent penny on Ebay. I had just about all of the modules - Cresendo of Doom. GI Anvil of Victory, Cross of Iron. I also had a lot of SPI games including Campaign for North Africa which you can see going for $500-700 on Ebay. Unfortunately I've moved around a lot in my life and the games are long gone.

I now collect cards-Age of Empire cards, Mechwarrior and Echelons of Fire/Fury are some of the ones I've acquired over the years.

Warfighter comes with all sorts of cards as well as expansions. I appreciate the artistry that goes into them. I can spend hours just going through and looking at the cards.

I've experienced the cat lying on my wargames and messing up the hundreds/thousand of counters. I've also experienced an angry sister messing up the counters when she was mad at me...

Big welcome to the Club @Zeke_21 The Few Good Men are welcoming you!.... You will find a lot of interesting people here
Please check out the links which are there to help you

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/site-manual.25/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/combat-mission-x2-world-war-two.160/

If you have any questions or need some help with the site, please feel free to contact our official welcome committee member Hedgehog and Shorker. he will be happy to assist you. Just click on the names in the members list or underneath the avatar picture and then on "Start A Conversation" or reply

Welcome aboard Zeke_21
We started gaming about the same time (1975 for me)
Was a big SPI supporter back in the day
Grenadier was the first game I remember being introduced to ....

We did start about the same time. I was living in Hawaii at the time and parents sent me to California for the summer. I met someone in summer school who introduced me to SPI. We played Dreadnought and Warzburg. I ended up buying The Fast Carriers from him. I also picked up Foxbat and Phantom and Punic Wars while I was in California.

You had far more options on the mainland then you did in Hawaii. In Hawaii there was only 1 store I knew of that sold wargames and it was across the island so it was a long bus ride to get there.

Usually I had to buy game via snail mail and wait weeks for it to arrive.

When I got back home a friend said he knew someone with a bunch of AH games he wanted to sell or trade. I got Panzer Leader, Panzer Blitz, Anzio, Luftwaffe, Richthofens War, France 1940, Battle of the Bulge, Alexander the Great, Midway, Jutland and other AH games in a trade. In return I gave up a few mens magazines that were popular at the time, a box of cowboy matches and a few bucks I had to my name.

Aside from the games I also got a subscription to Strategy and Tactics. I've been buying them on Ebay and where ever I see them for the past few years and now have a decent stash. The articles are still relevant and interesting to read, especially the historical stuff before 1970. The articles on the NATO Warsaw Pact, which was more hypothetical not so relevant, but still entertaining to read.

Ahhhh S&T magazine! Some good games in there and the articles weren't bad either

Back