Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

How to play Combat Mission: Guides for new players!

One thing I've noticed with new guys who play their first PBEM is that often they take it badly when they lose, sadly sometimes never to be seen here again.
This is a mistake, as they're not taking into account that often the guys they played against may have dozens or even hundreds of games under their belts.

Starting out your PBEM 'career' as it were, the focus should not be so much to win, as to learn, if you win, great, but typically you'll learn much more from a loss - especially if you talk it over with your opponent, which most will be happy to do.

Also unless it's a ladder game, you don't risk anything in a friendly PBEM game, so don't be afraid to try things out, test different strategies, etc.
Generally speaking I'd recommend new players not to play a ladder game until they have 10-20 games under their belt.

Another tip regarding this I learned from my first few games in PBEM:

If your big megalomanic plans fail (they will) and you feel you've lost: focus on small goals and try out different techniques to do it. Some of the things I tried out in my first few games with varied succes (@olaf, @Ironcross13, @Tchoup , @CAMO will likely recognize a few of these):

- Can I overwhelm his flank by rushing tanks with riders forward?
- Can I stop/slow his advance with a defense in depth, using terrain to my advantage?
- Can I deny him this specific patch of woods?
- My situation is hopeless.... maybe if i just conquer this one ridgeline/treeline it'll look slightly better (repeat x times)
- Can I use snipers to suppress guns and machine guns?
- Can I actually destroy / chase away a tank with infantry?
- Can I use my 3 ISU's with broken guns to still exert force on the battlefield (after all, with their slow ROF hardly anyone sees the difference between a working and non-working ISU :LOL: )
- And many many more smaller more mundane goals just to keep stuff interesting to the last minute, no matter the situation you're in!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and for @CAMO:
- Can i still kill a panther in this horrendous rain with this t34 that is somehow still working despite the gaping hole in the side of its turret, 2 dead crewman and no optics? :ROFLMAO:

Have your leaders lead not have them on 'Hide' in a bunker or a foxhole. Ignoring the C2 is costly you may plot waypoints by ignoring it, the TacAI doesn't. Use your best spotters Veteran and above and make sure they share information. Play the AI to practice direct fire it finds the gap in the pixels you missed. It teaches you to rely on the TacAI and not fancy area plotting.

Another tip regarding this I learned from my first few games in PBEM:

If your big megalomanic plans fail (they will) and you feel you've lost: focus on small goals and try out different techniques to do it. Some of the things I tried out in my first few games with varied succes (@olaf, @Ironcross13, @Tchoup , @CAMO will likely recognize a few of these):

- Can I overwhelm his flank by rushing tanks with riders forward?
- Can I stop/slow his advance with a defense in depth, using terrain to my advantage?
- Can I deny him this specific patch of woods?
- My situation is hopeless.... maybe if i just conquer this one ridgeline/treeline it'll look slightly better (repeat x times)
- Can I use snipers to suppress guns and machine guns?
- Can I actually destroy / chase away a tank with infantry?
- Can I use my 3 ISU's with broken guns to still exert force on the battlefield (after all, with their slow ROF hardly anyone sees the difference between a working and non-working ISU :LOL: )
- And many many more smaller more mundane goals just to keep stuff interesting to the last minute, no matter the situation you're in!
Yeah your t34 charge was unexpected and so many at once. Took out 2 Panthers and 2 Tigers at close range so far. so much smoke and dead. The battle for the ridge is hard fought

Saw a STUG III do what they did for real. Took it on with 8 Shermans that's how the war was won. Not by dueling, outpost 4 German paratroopers 3 Shermans 1 squad 2 Mg's. The quantity has a quality all of its own.

Sometimes things just go your way.
Lucky.jpg

Depends, which side you're on. Hate to see Comrade Demidov when he is not cautious.
Unlucky.jpg

Great post and thread! Well done! I didn't notice the Arm Chair generals link included and I will say they were also excellent videos for new players as well (On YouTube)

best!

Back