Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

I am back! (sort of)

X

xIGuNDoCIx

i am sure some of you may be wondering where I wondered off to the last 2 months. Sadly my absence was due to my Grandfather falling ill and passing away. I have spent much of that time helping my parents out and travelling back and forth between Texas, where my Grandfather lived and Virginia where I reside. I am looking forward to getting back into the CM scene and continue on wargaming with friends.

On a side note,

I know that there are many on these forums who are history buffs and I was given by my Father some of my Grandfathers WWII belongings. My Grandfather was a Filipino Scout in WWII and fought in both the Battle of Corrigidor and the Battle of Bataan. He was taken as a POW by the Japanese after the surrender and survived the infamous "Bataan Death March" He was released after 1.5 years by the Japanese as part of an prisoner release agreement and made his way back to "friendly" lines where he then again joined the Allies. His new unit was the 11th Luzon Guerrillas where he again waged war against the Japaneses. After the retaking of the Philippines he along with many other Filipino Scouts we afforded the opportunity to join the US Army and become full American citizens. He did so and thus began his long and distinguished military career. After WWII he moved to the US and then found himself embroiled in yet another war, this time on the Korean peninsula. He spent 23 years in the Army and retired in 1963. He was awarded a Silver Star, 2 x Bronze Stars, 2 x Purple Heart, and the CIB (Combat Infantry Badge) along with many others.

I have some of his accounts of the early months of the Japanese occupation of the Philippines describing fighting the Japaneses, the "Death march", and being a POW. I am currently in the process of scanning the enormous amount of paperwork/files/pictures that he kept and would like to post them for you guys to take a look at.

PS
I also came across some of my Fathers old 1970s-era boardgames that my Grandfather had kept in the house all these years. After a quick Google search these seemed to be pretty popular back in the day. I have the card and counter games Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader. Both are pretty beat up and have seen better days. Not sure if all the contents are there as well.

Anyway,

Feels good to be back. I will be slowly getting back into the groove and hope to see you on the battlefield.

Welcome back and sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like a remarkable man. :(

As for the board games if you're looking to sell, at least look into it before selling them on. Some of those early print runs are starting to go up in value as collectors items. :)

Welcome back and sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like a remarkable man. :(

As for the board games if you're looking to sell, at least look into it before selling them on. Some of those early print runs are starting to go up in value as collectors items. :)

I don't think I am going to sell them, they are too much fun! My Dad, Uncle, and I had a few games while we were in Texas and I am smitten with them. Now that I am hooked on these card and counter games it may be the time to finally take the dive into Advanced Squad Leader. :2charge:

Sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing. We're losing more and more of that generation each passing day. Yes, please do post some of his documents pertaining to his experiences fighting in the Philippines. I have a relative that was killed during the 1945 Battle of Bataan in Zig-Zag Pass, and my grandfather fought in Luzon (it was my grandfather's cousin that was killed, which would make him my 1st cousin twice removed I believe).

Last edited:
Back