Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Immersion radio communications

DoubleD

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
There are currently two ARMA III radio communications tools. Both utilise Teamspeak, one is ACRE & the other Task Force Radio. Further testing and setup instructions are required before we can go-live with one of the options however we can utilise Teamspeak and begin to develop the communication structure and terminology before that time. For all future immersion events, or during any other operation if there is interest, you are requested to join the FGM Teamspeak server, details in the private section of the ARMA III forum. Teamspeak client is free and can be obtained by goggling. There are also many instruction videos available on youtube to help with setup and usage. Teamspeak is stand alone and does not require any modification of ARMA III at this time.

For immersion events your Teamspeak push to talk button should be TAB (setup in Teamspeak and disabled in ARMA III), and your in-game push to talk button should be CAPS LOCK. Fire teams will be split in Teamspeak, Alpha, Bravo ,Charlie etc. and communicate via Teamspeak (TAB). This represents local voice comms. Squad wide communications will be via in-game (CAPS LOCK). This represents squad wide or long range operational communication. This setup replicates both ACRE and Task Force Radio functionality so supports learning. There will be a learning curve as we begin radio usage, and some confusion, but this is expected. A large benefit to this structure is it allows more communication than the in-game open room. Fire teams can be moving forward under one communication, whilst squad command can direct multiple fire teams and provide operational clarity.

Still on the fence about this one. Using an add on radio system is very helpful. We would more than likely go with two fire team freq and a squad freq for command, this would cut the chatter down immensely. The down side is that we are a small group of guys that have a lot of laughs when we play. If we started using a radio mod then half of us wouldn't be interacting with each other which I believe would cut down on the good times. I guess it comes down to how we as a group want to play, serious or laid back.

Personally I dont think we have the numbers or the desire to go down the realism route. There are numerous realism units out there playing ARMA3 and we are just a small group of guys who like to get together and shoot the sh*t over the radio and knuckle down to some serious teamwork when the need arises.

My objective on this was not realism, but organised and clear communication. I find when everyone is talking all at once it's very confusing and if you're leading a group in that situation it's tough, a bit like herding cats :confused: If everyone is fine with that OK, because we're in it for shits and giggles, but let's be transparent, we get away with it because the ops we run are set at the lowest level. If one turns up the screws, which we've tried doing on occasion, ours comms aren't specifc and are difficult to understand.

I think we could run more challenging ops with more diversity, but without clear communication it risks leading to frustration and so would be counter productive. At the end of the day, because of the community nature of our group no one could dictate a direction, but if the group is interested in stretching what we can do and taking on more challenges then getting the comms right for the group is important. It doesn't have to be military protocol, but it has to be clear and communicative.

I agree with Bootie, I enjoy our 'off the cuff' team organisations in game, and the FGM made missions. I wouldn't ever thought of been asked to be squad leader (as happened on Sunday) after playing the game for 3-4 months, which I thought was a bit of fun. Wouldn't get that treatment on a realism site. :p
I can't seem to get ACRE working for some reason. Don't know what to do about that. I'd still ike to give it a try, no harm can come of it.

Back