Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

In Development: Battles for Normandy Campaign

Normandy-snapshot1.jpg

Spent a good part of today working on this...doing research on arrival times of both Allied and Axis units in Normandy and trying to figure out how best to adapt the North Africa Campaign system to the Normandy battles. and to also make it a fun, playable campaign.

One problem is that CMAK in June/July/August 1944 doesn't have all the hardware available in Normandy, especially the lack of Fireflies and the absence of Cromwell tanks.

The other issue is how to simulate Allied air power, artillery superiority and naval artillery while allowing for playable battles... and on the Axis side the heavy Tiger units, Nebelwerfer and 88's and preponderance of AT guns.

The air superiority can be abstracted in that Axis units have severely restricted movement allowances -- maybe introduce a weather rule there.

The other issue is that without prebuilding lots of maps, we can't really get good bocage terrain for the QB's -- so heavy tree cover will have to suffice, I guess.

I do think that prebuilt maps would be the better alterantive - you're already severly restricted when trying to portray a Normandy campaiugn, so why make it even less accurate?
I sadly can't help with it (for obvious reasons) but I'm thinking of joining this one and would certainly appreciate proper Normandy terrain (as would all others I suppose).

The fog of uni work is slowly lifting so i'd be willing to make a map or 3 for this.

Wow...cant wait to jump n on this one! Wish I could make maps, only attempted it once or twice....

Im of work tomorrow if you wanna give me some parameters to work to Rico.

They would be small maps, probably 1000x1000m, usually centering around small, compact villages -- although I haven't finalised the size of the battles yet -- have several ideas brewing.
One way of giving an idea of Normandy bocage, is to combine hedges with sunken lanes and dense tree cover... make roads run within strips of dense woods with limited places where vehicles can leave the roads... for Caen area, lots of open wheat fields between dense woods, villages etc.

I think a good Normandy reference map would be the 'Lehr Left hook' scenario - small, compact villages and LOTS of trees, fields, woods and, of course Bocage. Maneuvering very difficult for tanks and naturally lots of LoS issues. Sorry I can't help more... :(

I think a good Normandy reference map would be the 'Lehr Left hook' scenario - small, compact villages and LOTS of trees, fields, woods and, of course Bocage. Maneuvering very difficult for tanks and naturally lots of LoS issues. Sorry I can't help more... :(

Do you have it -- can you send it to me? ricoschacherl at gmail.com

Do you have it -- can you send it to me?

Already ojn its way - if it doesn't exactly fit your ideas I'll search for more Normandy maps (I have a bunch, probably eve some Caen-related ones).

Thanks -- yes, that is the feel we are looking for in the Bocage area... Caen area is probably a little more open.

Anything you can send me will be good for reference.

Glad I could at least provide some assistance. Will take a look at my Normandy scenarios.

I think you should take some screens and provide the map building team with reference shots so they know what you're aiming for.

There's another scenario out there called "a helluva fight" or something along those lines that's a large bocage based map.

Yeah i have the scenario that Johny has mentioned.
If anyone wants it just say so.

Rico,
I have several maps that I put together a while back for Bocage style fighting. If you need any other help with this project let me know. It looks really good but looks like a lot of work for one guy to try and manage.
Lord Bane

This looks very interesting, and I'd like to join in if possible. However, from a pure realism perspective, I think you'll find the issues you mention about air and artillery to be at least as challenging as building the maps. The 44 campaign in NW Europe is one of my "pet" periods, and I've done an awful lot of reading about it. The amount of air power and artillery available to (and indeed used by) the Allies is simply staggering. Furthermore, these assets were readily available at all levels - the Allied command and control had progressed to the point where the lowest organizations' observers could, and did, call for huge barrages (e.g., MIKE and UNCLE missions) to eliminate relatively small strongpoints. When you add in the naval stuff it's just crazy (does CMAK even have something as big as an 8" shell or the 15" used by HMS Roberts?). Just not sure how you'd account for all that, not to mention the air support. Wonder how many points you'd have to spend to buy 25 Typhoons? :)

Gunner

Back