Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Issues with wirelinks...

Bulletpoint

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I think the wirelinks system might have been changed in a patch. At least I can't get it to work any more.
I'm playing the Stepanovka 1941 campain. It's based on the battlegroups system.

In most of my battlegroups, my commander doesn't have a wirelinks team. So he can't lay wirelinks, obviously. But in some of the battlegroups I do have a wire team. They don't lay wires to subordinate platoons though.

The subordinates don't show the "wirelink lost" message either. But they are not in command - they can't call in on-map artillery.

As subordinate platoons move on the map, the wirelinks team never runs out to update their links.

What am I doing wrong?

Calling in knowledge support from

@HOA_KSOP
@xmax

Ok I think I might have cracked the problem:

I'm thinking it's probably because, even though you can add units from many different formations to your battlegroup, you can still only establish links with the units you'd normally have in your OOB.

So, for example, I replace my regular infantry platoons with engineer platoons. Fine, but my coy commander cannot link up with those using wire. He only wants to link with his normal subordinates.

This also explains why I can add a mortar section and a light inf. gun section to my battlegroup, but only establish link with the mortars. The guns are battalion level, the mortars are company level assets.

Last edited:
Yeah, funny how that works. But you know that is not too far off reality for World War 2. I can tell you that supporting Tank and TD battalions in the USA did not have radio links with the infantry they were to support because they had incompatible radios unless they got creative and swapped some. So I think what you are seeing is probably how the Red Army operated.

Yeah, funny how that works. But you know that is not too far off reality for World War 2. I can tell you that supporting Tank and TD battalions in the USA did not have radio links with the infantry they were to support because they had incompatible radios unless they got creative and swapped some. So I think what you are seeing is probably how the Red Army operated.

I'm playing Wehrmacht, but yes, I know comms were not always very good. I like the challenge of it. The thing that confused me was the battlegroup system - I thought all units attached to the battlegroup would be temporarily under the command of the company commander. But they are just travelling along.

Another funny thing about wirelinks is that sometimes, you'll have a unit consisting of one leader and two 75mm infantry guns, and one wirelayer unit. Seems the idea is to keep the guns hidden behind the lines and just keep their commander up on a hill as a spotter. Makes sense.

But the guns cannot be wired up to their battery commander, as they don't have any wireless comms capability. (This is shown when you click on the unit - all units that can be linked by wire will show "Wireless comms" in their info panel)

Another funny thing about wirelinks is that sometimes, you'll have a unit consisting of one leader and two 75mm infantry guns, and one wirelayer unit. Seems the idea is to keep the guns hidden behind the lines and just keep their commander up on a hill as a spotter. Makes sense.

But the guns cannot be wired up to their battery commander, as they don't have any wireless comms capability. (This is shown when you click on the unit - all units that can be linked by wire will show "Wireless comms" in their info panel)
That is odd for sure. But given the paucity of radios in the Red Army, maybe this is realistic?

That is odd for sure. But given the paucity of radios in the Red Army, maybe this is realistic?
I'm playing as the Germans :)

The weird thing is that they sometimes have that wire unit in the first place. I think they are not supposed to have it, and in any case, they can't use it, unless I added a separate support unit to them, which would be placed below them in the chain of command.

Seems like an oversight.

Last edited:
I'm still learning new things each time I play. Today I learnt that with the battlegroup system, you can choose the Battalion commander to lead the battlegroup instead of the commander of one of the companies. This means you can use wire up everything and use both your mortars and infantry guns to call in automatic fire support.

Doesn't seem like there are any downsides, as the Major will still command the individual platoons just as well as the Lieutenant did, as far as I can see.

Back