Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

John Tiller's Campaign Series

I went and took a look at DCA. Does the game have the ability to render the units in 3D like CS, or are you limited to just the 2D tiles?
No 3D in DCA. Just NATO and silhouettes.

CS does not look good in 3D on my 4k setup and when I was running at 2560x1080 it didn't look good. The scaling was off and the 3D images of vehicles and infantry looked awful. Even the DC Middle East which I think is a newer engine then the older CS series didn't look good. I re-installed CS Middle East and updated to latest version and at 4K it looks pretty bad. The terrain is passable, but the 3D images look bad. Even 2D view wasn't impressive.

The screenshots I saw of the newer CS Viet-Nam didn't look like a big improvement over the current stuff.

All this is subjective. For some its no big deal, for others it matters.

No, I don't think VR Designs does 3-D sprites, but the unit counters in DC:A are pretty self-explanatory because when you click on them they show the unit composition below the map window. I have DC:Barbarossa and it does not have sprites. Now Unity of Command 2 does.
I would pay for an upgrade of DC Barbarrossa and other older DC games to DC:A standards.

No 3D in DCA. Just NATO and silhouettes.

CS does not look good in 3D on my 4k setup and when I was running at 2560x1080 it didn't look good. The scaling was off and the 3D images of vehicles and infantry looked awful. Even the DC Middle East which I think is a newer engine then the older CS series didn't look good. I re-installed CS Middle East and updated to latest version and at 4K it looks pretty bad. The terrain is passable, but the 3D images look bad. Even 2D view wasn't impressive.

The screenshots I saw of the newer CS Viet-Nam didn't look like a big improvement over the current stuff.

All this is subjective. For some its no big deal, for others it matters.
Huh. That is too bad. When I look at the 3D images of CS, they look fantastic. I want nothing more from my gaming experience, and I hope CS2 looks identical. Clearly, it is to each his own.

This is what it looks like for me one is at 1024x760 and other image is 4K. Vehicles are cartoonish and the infantry is plain bad.
1.jpg

I'm happy with how mine looks.

rwmubMB.png

That's how it looked for me back in 1999 when I was on older systems and Windows 98. That was perfectly acceptable and would be ok today.

I think running on widescreen monitors with hi res is a problem. I looked at the troubleshooting section and it was suggested you turn scaling up to 175-300%. Tried that and still awful looking. Also tried dropping down resolution as suggested....

I'm using a GTX 3080 and LG 42 Ultragear 4K monitor.

I reinstalled West/East/Rising Sun and Campaign Series Middle East

West Front/East Front looks alright. Pretty much the same as it was in 1999. Rising Sun is a bit more washed out. Campaign Series Middle East looked like my posted pics.

Just have to wait and see if they make any improvements for Campaign Series 2.

Putting in a plug for DCA. Attractive counters (I prefer NATO but the standard ones are the best I have seen of that type), the map is modern without being muddy, interesting use of contour lines and LOS, the card system is new to me and I think it is great, manual is poor so it takes a little time to get your head around it, has everything a hex and counter player could ask for. Well worth a look just to examine the mechanics of the game. Recommend.

Hey guys,

New member here (thou, think I partially joined back in my CM*1 days)...Havent played JTCS in years (played East-West Front years before that) and I had one mayor issue with the system. Unfortunately, It’ not IGOUGO based where you give orders to all your units at once then press GO. This compared now where you are unrealistically able to move one or more units at a time then finding enemy and moving other units to counter them, all in same turn.

Now, if I remember correctly I was able to counter this problem as a work around by moving a whole company/battalion at once, then having the enemy opportunity fire, and moving another company/battalion rinse and repeat. Using this method at least gave some realistic combat results as a whole at end of turn.

Now, I hear there is a Campaign Series 2 (I only play WWII) coming out at some point and hope they decide to finally make it IGOUGO based where you move all your units at once before pressing GO, or I may have to pass.

Joe

Last edited:
Back