Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Josey Wales CM Vids

What do you do in real life? If it does not involve film and film editing, or some other creative occupation, you missed your calling. There are no words to describe how good that is.

What do you do in real life? If it does not involve film and film editing, or some other creative occupation, you missed your calling. There are no words to describe how good that is.

Ha thanks JTimo, unfortunately I don't get to be that creative with work. I fit solar panels for a living so not much room for creativity with rectangles and wiring. I suppose these vids are my creative outlet, however, the real geniuses here are the likes of Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone... oh and of course Battlefront!

That's all well and good but it's 2019 now so where is the next movie!!!

Now you let slip your job we know you aren't up on any roofs in this weather so no excuses!!!!!

:sofa:

Ha well, I have a thread going in the musket room which might give a clue as to why I don't yet have a video up.

As for work it's going to be a manic rush until 31st March when the tariff ends.

Thanks Josey, I've been looking forward to see things from the opposite point of view and get an idea about your tactical planning and decisions.

Your video presents this battle very well, and your narration and timely strategic overviews give a good feel for how the tactical situation develops. The overlay graphics help a lot too. It's interesting to see how we came to many of the same conclusions about the terrain.

It was one of the toughest CM battles I ever played, and it was nail-bitingly tense the whole way through. Extremely brutal and bitter fighting.

The video doesn't show this in detail, but there were also many lulls in the combat with maneuvering behind the scenes, guessing and counterguessing. We both made some good calls and some mistakes.

Since access routes were difficult on my side of the map, I was forced to take on much more risk than I wanted, and that maybe makes it look like I was very reckless. Moving up the railroad tracks with a whole platoon for example made it possible to get into key terrain before you did, but that was a lot of eggs in one basket VS that Hummel!

Your assault guns and hit and run tactics with the flak cannon also definitely caused me a lot of trouble. The only reason the flak and the Hummel didn't get more kills was that I kept shuffling forces around to make sure I stayed out of their lines of fire. Those things were a massive threat. Even though they caused few casualties, they were a major disruption, forced me into "down" positions and denied me many avenues of attack.

As you point out, eventually we settled into a kind of Stalingrad stalemate, with both sides well entrenched in the massive factories. My factories had more useful firing positions, but you had one more objective than I had, so I was the one who needed to take the initiative.

I realised that I would have to be very aggressive. If I could manage to get just the tiniest foothold in one of your three objectives, and hold it till the end of the game, I could maybe achieve a draw. So I decided to build up to (and risk everything on) one well-supported assault with plenty of covering fire to get across the deadly open ground. Then I hoped my engineers would be able to take you by surprise by coordinating to blast holes in the wall, covered by smoke grenades.

However, I also knew the chances of success with the engineers were extremely small, since I knew the covering fire and smoke would give it away, and that they would enter a killzone on the other side of the wall. So actually the engineer assault was mostly a diversion. This made it possible for a small assault element to gain a foothold in the real objective: the vulnerable corner of the gasworks.

I then spent some frantic turns reinforcing and preparing for the counterattack I knew would come very quickly. Your first counterattack decimated the small force I had infiltrated, but they managed to hold long enough for backup to arrive.

In conclusion, thanks again for the game. Well played!

Last edited:
actually the engineer assault was mostly a diversion. This made it possible for a small assault element to gain a foothold in the real objective: the vulnerable corner of the gasworks.

It's very interesting to hear your side of events. This assault on the gas works was much cleverer than I had thought as even at this late stage I had assumed the engineers pouring through the gap in the wall was the main attack. Finding a squad inside the centre of the objective was a massive surprise to me. I had no contact reports at all for that entire manoeuvre - very well played indeed!

Back