Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Kampfgruppe Mehlsack: Mission 9

Attention Major @Mehlsack !!

Midnight, JULY 14, 1944
Weather: light rain, damp ground conditions

The situation is serious - the front on both our flanks has collapsed.
We are once again in danger of being outflanked by enemy mobile units bypassing us to the SW.
Army Group is abandoning Minsk and 12th Panzer Division has been ordered to cover the southern flank of the retreat.

Your orders are to urgently move across the only remaining wooden bridges across the Vydzenskaya River in our divisional area at the town of Uzda and proceed through the town to deployment along our deep southern flank. One bridge has already been destroyed by Russian bombers, but Pioniere have managed to build an extra temporary bridge as well.

There is a traffic jam at the bridges of retreating supply and Corps/Army artillery convoys and the town is under intense Russian harassing artillery fire from long range 122mm guns -- which gives you an idea just how close the enemy has pushed our covering forces during day.

You are to post a senior officer of your Kampfgruppe at the bridge traffic control point and have authority from Korps command to clear all traffic out the way and get your Kampfgruppe across the river and to the withdrawal zone as quickly as possible.

In addition, have a senior officer of your Kampfgruppe make contact with a heavy tank destroyer unit which is reported to resupplying in the far end of the town and take their vehicles under your command and order them to the withdrawal point as well.
They will only move once they have been contacted by yourself or an officer from your Kampfgruppe.

Your HQ command group has arrived at Uzda ahead of the rest of your Kampfgruppe which should follow you as quickly as they can -- the rapid night march has stretched the column somewhat.

Once again, speed is of the essence -- we wish you good luck in this operation commander, and hope your units come through this without significant personnel casualties or loss of vehicles.

Last edited:
After a breakneck ride trough Russian harassing fire Major von Mehlsack finally found the schwere Panzerjäger of Leutnant Hacker.

"Leutnant, your unit is under my command.
I'm determined not to waste any time.
Forward! We are going back!
Ready to move? Follow me!"

I love the photo too but I can't remember any german commander had a full beard :D

Not quite full... Julius Alfred "Papa" Ringel, commander of the German Mountain Troops in WWII, seen here during the invasion of Crete in 1941

depositphotos_22386711-Major-General-Julius-Alfred-Papa-Ringel.jpg

I love the photo too but I can't remember any german commander had a full beard :D

Razor blades became goods in short supply during the latest weeks at the Ostfront...:D

Generalmajor Scherer in 1942:

Last edited by a moderator:
First loss in Uzda: The KĂĽbel of 4. plt HQ gets perforated by shell splinters while racing towards the bridge! The good news is that nobody of the passengers gets seriously wounded, just some scratches. The driver manages to stop the vehicle without a crash. Leutnant Forster and his men go flat on the road...

After jumping towards the traffic control point Leutnant Forster did a good job on directing the Kampfgruppe over the bridge and trough the town.
Standing upright in the arty fire he was lucky while two of his men got hit. Finally he seized a truck and raced behind the convoy towards the withdrawal point...

Major von Mehlsack demanded report about further casualties of the Kampfgruppe. To everyone's surprise just 1 MG gunner riding on a StuG was killed by splinters! Nevertheless the town was littered with burning wrecks of trucks and equipment of the troops who made way for our men.

Back