Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Kampfgruppe Odin: Mission 4

Dawn, 04:30, July 6

Major @Odin

After the battle at Kurgan Railway Siding, you establish contact with Panzer Aufklarungsgruppe Neumann.

Once realising that both your units have been bypassed by advancing Russian spearheads, Neumann and his crack panzer recon troops have found a safe route to a weak spot in the Russian lines at a crossing over a stream at the village of Shabrov. They have the enemy position under observation and have an artillery spotter in place in radio contact with 12th Panzer Division.

The enemy is dug in an improvised east-facing position on the opposite bank on the rise overlooking the river crossing points - - all bridges have been blown, but the stream is easily fordable at three points.

Enemy forces have been observed to consist of dug in heavy MG's, light Flak & Pak guns and recon troops have reported spotting movements of possibly two or three SU assault guns.

During the night, your Kampfgruppe rendezvoused with Gruppe Neumann and got into attack position -- the noise of your vehicles masked by strong westerly winds.

At exactly 04:30, 3 batteries of Corps Artillery heavy howitzers, firing at extreme range, will hit the enemy position with preparatory barrage.
The dawn attack will mean the enemy will have the rising sun in their eyes as well.

Hit them hard and clear this position and you will have a clear run to the German lines -- hopefully with most of your units intact.

Good luck, commander!

Major @Odin -- you have completed the battle of Mission 4.

It turned out to be a bit of a disaster -- with barely establishing a toehold on the other side and extremely heavy losses in vehicles, especially halftracks and Aufkl. Neumann virtually being wiped out.
Seems the artillery barrage did not have the desired effect as enemy PAK and SU's survived to inflict a lot of damage and the river crossing attack was left very late.

This snapshot of Major Odin and his HQ group making a dash for the river crossing on foot, with knocked out vehicles littering the background, illustrates the desperate nature of this encounter.

The enemy does give way in the end - probably due to ammunition shortage, but the delay and casualties imposed on your Kampfgruppe might prove catastrophic, as you might not have enough vehicles to transport your remaining men and must now attempt the breakout of foot.

German Casualties:
26 KIA
20 WIA
1x hvy MG

2x Pz IV

1x PSW 232 hvy armoured car

1x SPW 251/3 command HT
1x SPW 250 recon command HT
7x SPW 251/1 HT
3x SPW 250/9 recon HT
1x SPW 250/10 recon gun HT

Russian Casualties:

approx 60 KIA/WIA
2x SU-85
3x 37mm AA guns
4x 45mm AT guns

The panzergrenadier kompanie is now reduced to rifle strength of one reinforced platoon

Two panzer IV's remain operational.

The Kampfgruppe is now in dire straits as it makes the run for the German lines after this costly breakthrough... will they make it?

In fact I was a bit disappointed by the effect of the 150FHs too. Since I hardly use heavy arty in H2H fights I was not able to estimate the destructing effect on an entrenched enemy. In appreciation of the trenches I called for airbursts expecting showers of splinters hitting the cowering foes. But even near bursts were not able to destroy even one single gun!

Again I recognized the truth of the old rule: You have to start the attack already during the barrage using the suppressing effect on the enemy!
Nice to see it simulated in this computer "game".

@Odin : Good luck for the next mission!

In fact I was a bit disappointed by the effect of the 150FHs too. Since I hardly use heavy arty in H2H fights I was not able to estimate the destructing effect on an entrenched enemy. In appreciation of the trenches I called for airbursts expecting showers of splinters hitting the cowering foes. But even near bursts were not able to destroy even one single gun!

Again I recognized the truth of the old rule: You have to start the attack already during the barrage using the suppressing effect on the enemy!
Nice to see it simulated in this computer "game".

@Odin : Good luck for the next mission!

There were no trenches -- only foxholes -- artillery did actually destroy quite a few guns, especially the AA guns.

Bolshevist propaganda! I did see the battlefield with my own eyes...:D

Sounds like I could be in trouble. I made a fatal error by not hitting the Russian lines with all three 150mm batteries at the same time. Just using two didn't make a big enough impact and my tanks got hammered when they crossed the ridge line. After which it was just a case of making a mad dash for it in the final minutes :(

Back