Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Lee Marvin

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
Lee Marvin enlisted with the USMC Reserve on Aug 12, 1942 at the age of 18 years old. He enlisted with his father, Lamont (age 51) a decorated WW1 veteran, in NYC and trained at Parris Island in South Carolina.

After completing Quartermaster School Marvin was promoted to Corporal but subsequently downgraded to Private First Class resulting from disciplinary issues. He served with I Company, 3rd Battalion, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Div. On June 18, 1944, Marvin was wounded in action during the assault on Mount Tapochau during the Battle of Saipan. Lee was hit by incoming fire that severed his sciatic nerve in addition to severely damaging his foot. Even with these devastating injuries, Marvin was lucky as he was one of only six survivors from his unit of 247 men. (Source: USMC Archive)

IXRxwSe.jpg

After spending over a year in medical treatment at various naval hospitals he was given a full medical discharge. Despite his injury, he tried to reenlist but was turned down. Private First Class Marvin was decorated with the Purple Heart Medal, the Presidential Unit Citation, the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, the WW2 Victory Medal, and the Combat Action Ribbon.

After the war Lee returned to upstate NY and worked various odd jobs until he established a successful acting career.

Lee Marvin passed away on Aug 29, 1987 at the age of 63. He was buried at Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors.

4vWBw10.jpg

I don't know he was a veteran.
1685876425226.png
Here he is in Bad Day at Black Rock, 1955, playing one of the bad guys. One of my favourite movies, starring Spencer Tracy, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Ryan...

Back