Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

LOS and Targeting work arounds?

The Great White North

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Greetings... I've been noticing issues with LOS and targeting hedgerows with both infantry and armour. The ranges are not long usually under 200M. My opponent seems to have no issues firing at me from behind them however I seem not to have the pleasure to return in kind. Even a M8 which has a higher elevation than my infantry is having issues to draw a LOS to the hedgerow. I'm curious if there is a trick to allow my units to draw a LOS or if I should stop playing maps with hedgerows..

Best and yes I saw the video on the city LOS work around.

I think it's pretty common that someone in a hedgerow is hard to spot but can spot you, especially bocage where there's a bank as well. Area fire on the presumed target would be my go to, apart from getting into cover yourself.

Yeah, tough one. Sounds like a frustrating bit of terrain. I find LOS very confusing, sometimes you just don't get why you can't spot that house etc.
Call in some arty, hook a left or a right and avoid...

Yeah wheat fields can be a pain in the ass even without the hedgerows.
Usually if the enemy can see you you are at least able to see him but if you are already under fire by them it doesn't help much.

However indirect fire uses the ground as a target reference and if that tile happens to be out of LOS you can't get around it easily. Only option would be if a targetable hill would stand behind the wheatfield, so you could use that as some sort of target reference. But in the bocage that would be unlikely.

Mortars/artillery are a bit different in that regard and are maybe the best option here. If you either use an forward observer or a mortar itself you can see that they can often plot a target line behind their direct LOS.
And while a mortar at the front (especially at around 200m) will most likely die quickly or get pinned, a forward observer could do the trick.

And don't unterestimate the power of smoke (either by artillery or grenades) , if you have any. If the enemy can't see you he rarely can shoot at you.
So it is also an option to engulf the enemy position in smoke and storm it.

It would be my least favorite option to be honest because the enemy would still be in good strenght and morale when the knife fight begins but it is an option never the less. Just make sure that you have the superiority in numbers then.

Good discussion. Also remember that if you area fire even in front or behind where you think the enemy is it can have an effect. I frequently setup area fire in front of the bocage where I think the enemy is / might be. Doing that can make the difference and suppress them enough to get troops close enough to see the enemy.

Back