Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Lost Souls

steve

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Nestled in the rolling hills of the Cotswolds is the lovely little village of Great Rissington, and it is here that one of the most tragic tales of the Great War was born. Annie Souls lived here, and lost five sons in that terrible event. I went there some time ago on a ride out on my motorbike, and stopped at the church to look at the photographs on the wall inside, I believe this is the only church in the UK with photographic memorials to soldiers of any campaign.

A few of the photos I took, followed by a link that tells the story.........

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

Poor Annie was bereft, and never recovered fully, having also to endure the loss of her sixth son, Percy, to meningitis shortly afterwards. The story in the village was that other women came to resent her as each time a son was lost she gained a pension for the sacrifice and they were jealous of her new found "riches", and she could never stand for the national anthem to recognise the king in the church again.
The family soon left the village, never to return.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/focus/2002/10/soulsbrothers2.shtml

This story was also featured in a series hosted by Ian Hislop called Not Forgotten in which he toured some of the 37,000 or so memorials all over the UK.

Steve

Last edited:
Back