Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Members Past & Present

It's from today, Monday 6th, with the friend Cristobal Colon.
XDzJaEv.jpg

Nice pic Luis. (y)

What is the name of the ship?

Fun Facts

It’s likely that Cristoforo Colombo changed his name to Cristóbol Colón soon after moving to Spain where he became a citizen. In the past, immigrants often changed their names when moving to a new country to help integrate themselves into a different culture and language. For example, as Europeans immigrated to the United States in its early years, they either anglicized their last names or changed them entirely! Christopher Columbus was probably no different."

“Christopher Columbus’s ships actually weren’t named La Niña, La Pinta, and La Santa Maria like your third-grade teacher taught you. Two of these names were actually just nicknames for the ships!
During Columbus’s time, Spain had a tradition of naming its ships after saints, but referred to them by a nickname. For example, La Niña was likely a nickname for a ship called La Santa Clara, or Saint Clara. The ship’s owner, Juan Niño, is likely where the nickname La Niña came from. However, historians are unsure what the original name for La Pinta is. La Santa Maria, however, was the true name for the third ship. It had a nickname as well, La Gallega.”

Nice pic Luis. (y)

What is the name of the ship?

The "Santa María", is a 95% exact replica of the original.
It was built in 1979, rebuilt in 1995 and rebuilt again in 2007.
It is the second most accurate in the world, the first being in Barcelona.
wotg3ZU.jpg

My wife at left:p

Years back they sailed three replicas near here.
I knew they were'nt going to be battleship size but was still stunned on how small the ships were and how many men were on each one.
The thought of crossing the open Atlantic for two months in what I would consider a large boat amazes me.

Years back they sailed three replicas near here.
I knew they were'nt going to be battleship size but was still stunned on how small the ships were and how many men were on each one.
The thought of crossing the open Atlantic for two months in what I would consider a large boat amazes me.
Me too, absolutely stunned. It's a tiny little thing! How many crew would be on that? I can't imagine it even being able to carry enough supplies to cross the Atlantic, considering there was no tinned food back then. You'd have to tie me up to get me on that thing for an ocean voyage o_O

Some old pics of my NZ army days..Mid 80's plus i was and still am a kean spearfisherman and Diver

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 008-side.jpg
    008-side.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 011_LI.jpg
    011_LI.jpg