Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Members Past & Present

OK enough peoples, me & @Hedgehog are cold enough without you people making a competition out of our misery! (He's probably only joking)

LOL -22C here. No snow yet - it looks like those of us in Ontario will be spared a lot of snow. It will just be really cold with a stiff wind. Brrr.

A few pics of my father's 90th birthday, taken at his church last week, who devoted a Sunday night service and threw a party for him. The lady is my stepmother, who is 83 (dad likes 'em young). I had to miss it, because work "can't do without me", but my wife was there to represent, and these pics were taken by her. The cake has a garden theme, because gardening is dad's hobby.

0520181749.jpg0520181816.jpg0520181836a.jpg

Dad joined the U.S. Navy at the very end of WW2. He spent around a year there, then was discharged when the war ended. He spent some time teaching grade school (many grades in one classroom back then) and decided to join the U.S. Air Force. Spent 20+ years (enlisted man) in the Air Force before retiring. Got a college degree in finance while he was in the air force, and, after retiring from the USAF, moved back to Tennessee and eventually became finance director of the town I live in (town of around 15k at the time). Retired from that job, and now enjoys gardening, eating, coin collecting, and driving my step mother and me crazy. Very religious.

Last edited:
Well then, the wonder drugs are really working amazingly well. I've seen more feeble 70-year-olds! Good for him.

Thanks, buddy. Yea, on the clean living thing, dad actually smoked cigarettes for a number of years, though that was a time before I can remember. I do remember him smoking a pipe (he had quite a collection of pipes) when I was a boy. I remember him giving those up sometime in the 1970s, and taking up chewing tobacco, which he quit sometime in the 1990s after his heart attack. Other than that, the only bad habits I can think of is he thinks he has to have some kind of dessert after every meal. Though he had a sedentary job (finance) he always loved to do outside work (gardening, planting trees, cutting firewood, etc.). Until I left his house, I remember all through high school and part of college, many, many Saturdays we went and cut firewood at his brother's house (a load for us, and a load for his brother, who worked with us and was older than dad and a 101st Airborne WW2 vet), hauled it home, split it with a maul (that was mostly my job) then ricked it up. He still burns firewood to this day, but now he buys it at the sawmill.

Anyway, I attribute his longevity to both genetics and an active lifestyle.

Thought you guys might get a few yucks out of this. My "younger" nephew (still 40+ something years old), send me and my older nephew these two pics he recently dug up.

oldpics.jpg

So I'm pretty sure the guy in the left picture was me, circa early 1980s, wearing my Ocean Pacific T shirt and in the process of donning a Member's Only jacket.

I think the right pic was earlier, probably mid to late 1970s. That was me looking at what seems to be a D&D module, whilst my nephews looked on in awe (or not). I confess that I don't recall my hair ever being that long. Did I think I was Luke Skywalker? Who knows?

Last edited:
Back