Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Mexican Wars

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The Mexican–American War, also known as the Mexican War, the U.S.–Mexican War, the Invasion of Mexico, the U.S. Intervention, or the United States War Against Mexico, was an armed conflict between the United States and Mexico from 1846 to 1848 in the wake of the 1845 U.S. annexation of Texas, which Mexico considered part of its territory despite the 1836 Texas Revolution.

Combat operations lasted a year and a half, from spring 1846 to fall 1847. American forces quickly occupied New Mexico and California, then invaded parts of Northeastern Mexico and Northwest Mexico; meanwhile, the Pacific Squadron conducted a blockade, and took control of several garrisons on the Pacific coast further south in Baja California. Another American army captured Mexico City, and the war ended in victory for the U.S.

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo specified the major consequence of the war: the forced Mexican Cession of the territories of Alta California and New Mexico to the U.S. in exchange for $15 million. In addition, the United States assumed $3.25 million of debt owed by the Mexican government to U.S. citizens. Mexico accepted the loss of Texas and thereafter cited the Rio Grande as its national border.

American territorial expansion to the Pacific coast had been the goal of President James K. Polk, the leader of the Democratic Party. However, the war was highly controversial in the U.S., with the Whig Party, anti-imperialists and anti-slavery elements strongly opposed. Heavy American casualties and high monetary cost were also criticized. The political aftermath of the war raised the slavery issue in the U.S., leading to intense debates that pointed to civil war; the Compromise of 1850 provided a brief respite.

In Mexico, terminology for the war include primera intervención estadounidense en México (United States' First Intervention in Mexico), invasión estadounidense a México (United States' Invasion of Mexico), and guerra del 47 (The War of 1847).

Mexico 1916
Mexico1916.jpg

Hello, I'm new to the forum and really don't expect this to be answered. I can't help but notice that the gallery is focused on the mexican revolution but starts with the mexican american wars, looking further into it I find it very difficult to find information on the mexican armies during the XIXth century, has anyone encountered the same problem or am I just looking on the wrong places?

btw cool gallery

I haven't been to this thread before.
Thanks for posting!
Nice pics.
I would assume you can post all things happening in Mexico not just Mexican-American.
Mexican-French or Mexican rebellion kind of stuff nobody would complain about.

In fact here is a pic of the famous Mexican revolutionary Pancho Villa with a couple of other dudes whose names you may recognize ;)

cjHrbTL.jpg

Back