Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Mortar out of contact issue

In memoirs I've read (MacDonald, Scheffel, others) the platoon company radios seem to be separate from the artillery radios. So sometimes somebody in the chain would have to be close to both kinds of radio. As I recall, platoon hq would talk to company hq on handset, and then company would tell his radio sargeant what to say to Arty on the big radio, and vice versa down the chain.
I don't think CM does that level of detail.
On a hardly related topic, there are also instances of a FO coming up, giving the company CO a marked up map, a radio, and a short course on how to call in arty strikes, and then leave. I suppose this is what CM is doing when TRP are available :cool:

Yeh fair point, it's hard to know what is going on with CM 'under the hood' at times, land lines are apparently abstracted but it's hard to know when this is actually happening.

Yeh fair point, it's hard to know what is going on with CM 'under the hood' at times, land lines are apparently abstracted but it's hard to know when this is actually happening.

I believe it's only happening when calling in off-map artillery.

Back