Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[Movie] Masters of the Air (Apple+)

Having a bit of an existential crisis over this as I loath all things Apple and refuse to support them in anyway.
Yes, one of those "me" issues.
This, of course has kept me from viewing "Greyhound" which really irks me to this day. And now this.
It has 9 episodes. It sure looks good doesn't it?
Help me! My resolve is starting to weaken. :unsure:
-----

Washington Post review. I tend to agree, I turned it off before the end of the 2nd episode.

‘Masters of the Air’ aims high — and bombs​

Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg’s latest World War II miniseries is technically impressive but narratively inert​

pdf attached in case the link won't work.

Attachments

• Masters of the Air.pdf
    183.5 KB · Views: 2
The reviewer goes right off the tracks by immediately exclaiming how "immense" the
B-17s were. I don't think he ever really recovers.
Starting out admitting how he basically knew nothing about WWII or the B-17. Uh, so why was he
chosen to do the review? Don't know.
"There are loving close-ups of planes, equipment, bombs and instrument panels without much hand-
holding as to who sits where or what they do. The first couple of episodes challenge viewers with long
flight sequences in which characters we’ve barely met communicate in shorthand that I, a rank amateur,
often couldn’t follow, their voices muffled and faces obscured by oxygen masks. Strategies are minimally
explained and the action inside — who just got shot? which plane is this? — is tricky to track."
Yes, a "rank amateur" might have that problem. Unlikely anyone who's a member of FGM would.
I never had any intention of watching this expecting (or requiring) great story telling. I just want to see
some of those immense B-17s flying and fighting please. Thank you Mr Hanks.

I also watched first two episodes... gotta say visually impressive (although some seriously dodgy CGI in a production of this size and resources) ... casting and character building a big miss at times.
Can’t help comparing it to Band of Brothers where everybody felt like real people uo cared about ... not pretty faces from Hollywood central casting.

Will carry on watching nevertheless.

I just want to see
some of those immense B-17s flying and fighting please. Thank you Mr Hanks.

Here here.
The writer who wrote two of the BoB episodes (Day of days been one of them) wrote the series.
He claims they were trying to create the scale of the whole air war, he first mission with 76 bombers then in the later war a bombing raid over Berlin which the formation took over three hours to fly over Berlin.
Also he claims that bombers you see getting shot down in a formation got shot down on that particular mission and and whit what.

Will carry on watching nevertheless.

Same here.

Back