Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[MOVIE] Saving Private Ryan

@rocketman asked..."How much psychiatric help do veterans get to combat PTSD (as far as possible)? "

It took 40 years for me to be diagnosed as having Severe PTSD, they are much more aware of it today, and current veterans now receive care before they leave the service.

It is good to hear that things are improving in this regard but truly awful that you had to wait 40 years to get the treatment you needed. Hope it helped you cope better.

There are amazing fans to acquire this.

Auction on Oct. 2016 in London.
"Capt. John Miller's headstone from the 1998 Steven Spielberg film Saving Private Ryan, inscribed 'John H Miller Captain 2 Rangers BN Pennsylvania June 13 1944', 120cm x 53cm x 10cm Constructed of white marble the headstone is in the form of a cross and was used for scenes set in the present day in the film where an elderly James Ryan paid honour and remembrance to Capt. Miller".

VIwcLXr.jpg

There are amazing fans to acquire this.

Auction on Oct. 2016 in London.
"Capt. John Miller's headstone from the 1998 Steven Spielberg film Saving Private Ryan, inscribed 'John H Miller Captain 2 Rangers BN Pennsylvania June 13 1944', 120cm x 53cm x 10cm Constructed of white marble the headstone is in the form of a cross and was used for scenes set in the present day in the film where an elderly James Ryan paid honour and remembrance to Capt. Miller".

2014 Auction it went for 2500 pounds

It seems to be a truism that most vets don't talk about what they have seen and experienced.
I never knew about my Uncle landing on D-Day as part of the 29th Div. Or coming home and throwing himself on the ground if a car backfired. I only heard that from my father

Today I read the following:

Tom Hanks performance as an Army Ranger was considered by the US Army to be brilliant and highly accurate, which is why Hanks was inducted as an honorary member of the "Ranger Hall of Fame" of the Army. (https://ranger.org/ranger-hall-of-fame/)
He is the first actor to receive such an honor without going to war.

k1g0ry2.png

The Normandy landing scene was chosen by Empire magazine as the "greatest battle scene of all time", and was ranked number one on "50 Greatest Moments in History". of cinema”, by TV Guide magazine.
The scene lasted 20 minutes, had the participation of 1,500 extras and cost 12 million dollars. The entire movie had a budget of $70 million, making it perhaps one of the most expensive scenes to shoot in history.
"Saving Private Ryan" was the last film to win an Oscar for best editing that was not digitally edited. In fact the film won five.

In order for them to realize what the soldiers of the WW2 had to go through, the actors who played the rescue squad had to go through a training camp. They spent ten days with a retired captain (Dale Dye), who gave them the same training that soldiers had to do before being sent to their destination. They had to march, sleep in tents, and eat army rations. They also learned how to handle weapons, clean them and disassemble them.

j7O7wMi.jpg

Spielberg did not allow Matt Damon to take that course, in order to show the contempt that his colleagues in the film had for him.

One thing I appreciated about the movie was the complete accuracy of uniforms, weapons, even small things like web gear belts.

I could have done without all the touchy-feely human interest parts and just stuck to the main plot and the action scenes but whatever

Back