Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[MOVIE] Tankers

A 2019 Russian WWII movie about tanks and stuff. You know the genre. It is based on a true story.
What is a little different is that the tank du jour is not a T-34. Nope. It is the venerable KV-1.
Like most of these Russian movies it's all about the hardware and it looks pretty good. There are things wrong about the PZ IV's that I can't quite put my finger on. Nothing particularly wrong with them. The turrets look a bit flat perhaps. The Russians should be able to do good mock ups because Lord knows, they saw enough of them.
The acting is fair because there isn't much of it, which in these movies is a good thing. The female tank engineer is just silly, but they needed to get the female audience to buy tickets so there's that.
I did find myself pulling for the KV-1, not caring much if everyone else died. Although the engineer is kind cute in her bob haircut. Good thing she can drive a tank as well.
Here's the link for the full movie off You Tube. It should be free.
-----

I watched this about a month ago and enjoyed it.

This weekend (Memorial day) TCM is doing 3 days of war movies. There are some that are classics and well worth a watch.

TCM this weekend includes, Battle cry, where eagles dare, great escape, dirty dozen, battle of the bulge, sgt york,drums along the Mohawk,30 seconds over Tokyo and a bunch more

Reactions: mTk
The female tank engineer is just silly,

I don't understand. Why did you think the engineer was extra silly? Because she was emotional. All the characters were just as silly, and simple but charming. The fighting in the story was silly too, but the heavy focus on repair and maintenance was a welcome change from most movies

And there were lots of tanks, uniforms, weapons, and equipment, and kit. I liked it. But I have very low expectations for movies.
1590243625818.png

I should go without saying (by now) that all of my "reviews" should be followed by your mileage may/will vary.
That said, I probably could have used a better word than "silly."
Well, two words actually. Scarcely credible. Yeah. I like that better.
I agree. I liked it too. Maybe should have been more up front about that. I was pleasantly surprised which is why I did the post in the first place.
Not great, but better than the genre usually presents.

MtK.
I'm glad you posted this thread, otherwise I may never had watched the movie. I'll watch it again someday.

Gotta agree with you. The engineer was scarcely credible. But, so were the other roles. The tank commander was certainly just not credible at all. But the movie was entertaining. Interesting that the roles were so thin and unrealistic. Funny, because Russian writers are well known for the ability to breathe life into their characters. Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky are able to slowly pull us in, and readers can sympathize, even empathize, with the most unbelievable persons.

1590269378197.png

MtK.
I'm glad you posted this thread, otherwise I may never had watched the movie. I'll watch it again someday.

Gotta agree with you. The engineer was scarcely credible. But, so were the other roles. The tank commander was certainly just not credible at all. But the movie was entertaining. Interesting that the roles were so thin and unrealistic. Funny, because Russian writers are well known for the ability to breathe life into their characters. Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky are able to slowly pull us in, and readers can sympathize, even empathize, with the most unbelievable persons.

View attachment 19017
Watched most of it as well. Pretty good in some aspects... mostly silly .

Russian war film makers never seem to bother to read up on German panzer tactics... always have them charging in,
leaving cover and firing on the move.

Idiotic.

Reactions: mTk
Back