Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

My Car Failed Its MOT....

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Boooooo....

My VW Bora failed its MOT today. List of things to fix....

Brake Pipes need replacing...

Near side sill seat belt anchorage needs minor welding...

Near side rear suspension component mounting needs minor welding....

Not too bad for a 15 year old car in my opinion. Saying that the MOT and full service cost the guts of £200. Complete oil change and all pipes replaced cost £160.

The saving grace is my best mates dad is a welder and is going to take a look at the welding tomorrow night or Saturday morning. Fingers crossed he can get it done sharp-ish and I can get it back to the test centre within 10 days so I dont have to pay £30 for a full MOT test again.

Bloody cars eh!!

My camping van is 23 years old (has travelled to many places like Spain, Morocco, Turkey, the North Cape) and the inspection is scheduled in July. I'm also worried... :)

DSC_5292_zps06b28fa8.jpg

Unbelievably the state I live in, California, with the highest per capita of vehicles in the US, has no yearly inspection of the mechanical reliability of these vehicles.

We in Ontario have the Drive Clean Ontario test for Emission Controls. Safety tests only if selling a vehicle.
The emission control test start about an Hour south of where I live Central to Northern Ontario do not have to do them yet. I believe there are two possibilities why we don't yet have to do them. 1} There are so many trees that there is no way any smog will hurt us up here LOL
2} If they did the test all our cars and trucks would fail because there is no money for us to fix them...not enough jobs and poorer pay. We would have to go back to the Horse and sleigh again.

Here is the RTO (Revisión Técnica Obligatoria or mandatory technical review)
It is an annual checkup, brakes, lights, exhaust, suspension, turn signals, security systems are reviewed ...
A label adheres to the windshield to be visible from the authorities.
Admiiral%203_zpseuxves48.jpg

Admiral%204_zpsqrbckbnp.jpg

Last edited:
For us in France it's only every two years, and it starts only once the vehicle is 5 years old. We also get a sticker on the windshield. Nice Clio, Swmbo has the same in light blue.

Here is the RTO (Revisión Técnica Obligatoria or mandatory technical review)
It is an annual checkup, brakes, lights, exhaust, suspension, turn signals, security systems are reviewed ...
A label adheres to the windshield to be visible from the authorities.
Admiiral%203_zpseuxves48.jpg

Admiral%204_zpsqrbckbnp.jpg

yep here is Aus we have the 'Registration check' every year .. only cost $40 but tyres are $300 each .,... yeeesh

we used to have windshield stickers , but now police have autos-canners and when you get passed by a police care they are immediately informed if you are 'out of rego' via their number plate recognition system and you are in the clink !

Last edited by a moderator:
Very expensive tyres!! Just got 4 new ones (225/45R17) for € 380,00.

Here it is the annual APK for cars older then 5 years. Doesn't cost as much as in GB. Often it is included in the cost for the servicing of the car if you let it coincide. Of course, they do tend to fnd some issues during the APK...

Very expensive tyres!! Just got 4 new ones (225/45R17) for € 380,00.

Here it is the annual APK for cars older then 5 years. Doesn't cost as much as in GB. Often it is included in the cost for the servicing of the car if you let it coincide. Of course, they do tend to fnd some issues during the APK...

4 ???!! four ... for 380 euros ... strewth ... :( what the , checked them out at they are $211 each on sale ...

http://www.tyresales.com.au/search?search=size&width=225&aspect=45&rim=17

@Combat Wombat OUCH! $211 each here in the Great White North only $92.00 each same tires, I just goggled it here. Not that many are sold here because there is no information on how they are in the snow.

Back