Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Near-perfect feldgrau?

P

PoorOldSpike

I don't know if this is an original jacket or a modern replica, but either way the colour seems absolutely spot on and a good example of feldgrau (grey with a tinge of green)-

obr13.jpg

That is a great example. It is a hard color to match well in model paints.

Looks a bit to greenish for a M36 field blouse to me, but from what I know, there were a lot of varying shades depending on the manufacturer. And since that seems to be a M36 field blouse I think it's a replica rather than an original - although one can argue that, the field blouse being that of a Stabsarzt (field surgeon with the rank of captain), it is original because it hasn't been worn very often.

German Officer's were allowed and normally purchased 'private purchase' uniforms ... that accounts for the variety of shades and materiel when it comes to officer's tunics/breeches. Here are a pair of Austrian Army issue enlisted man's feld grau trousers from the early 50's ...
DSCN33860001.jpg

they were made from stocks of the same material used in 1944 -45 is my understanding.
Examples of Private Purchased Tailored Uniform Colours:
Sepp Dietriech ....
put021.jpg

Otto Skorzeny ....
put026.jpg

rb

This pic gives a good comparison between the dull grey paint as used on many German AFV's, and the field-grey uniforms which had a tinge of green-

Stug-ammo.jpg

As far as commercially available paints go ... Humbrol Feld Grau is as close as you can get .... IMHO.

As far as commercially available paints go ... Humbrol Feld Grau is as close as you can get .... IMHO.

Yes I tried it some years ago and it's good, but didn't like to use it for ALL the figures in a gun crew or diarama because as we know, colours fade and change slightly due to wear and tear in the field.
So I prefer mixing my own fieldgreys, then I can give different men or groups of men slightly different shades.

Back