Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Normandy Tour Day1 - American Airborne

Gunner

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I thought I would revive these for the 75th anniversary of D-Day
These are from 2014 when my brothers and nephews took a grand six day tour of Normandy.
I see some of the pictures have issues.
I'll fix those at a later date...
I hope you enjoy the tour

Normandy Tour Day 1

We started our tour with the U.S. Airborne sector.

Day 1 - US Airborne Sector

Tour briefing

Ste Mere-Eglise - 82nd A/B 505 PIR
La Fiere - Drop zones T, O, N 82nd A/B
Cauquiny - 325 Glider Infantry Reg - Capt Rae - Church
Cauquiny - DeGlopper Medal of Honor (325 Glider Infantry Reg.)
Amfreville - 82nd Airborne Timmes Orchard

Lunch - Ste Mere-Eglise

Marmion Farm - E Company 101st Airborne action - Forrest Guth - later used by the war correspondents

Foucarville - German POW work camp

Beuzeville au Plein - Lt Thomas Meehan III C47 crash site and monument

Brecourt Manor - Winters gun emplacement - Band of Brothers (E Co 506th PIR 101st Airborne Div)

Major Dick Winters Monument

Saint Marie du Mont - Church - Village - Red Ball EXPRESS - 1st village liberated in US sector
Angoville au Plain - Drop Zone D & 101st A/B 501 PIR Medics Church (Bob Wright & Kenneth Moore) & 506 PIR HQ

Ste Mere Eglise

P1000079_zps08283d68.jpg

According to our guide John Steele actually got hooked on the other side of the church, not overlooking the square. His chute lines stretched to where he was alomos touching the ground. Germans who were in the church came out almost immediately, cut the lines and captured him. (He later escaped)

It was the Mayors idea to put the paratrooper on the church overlooking the square after the movie "The Longest Day" came out as a tourist device.

The church itself still shows the scars of the fight but the inside is very beautiful

P1000083_zpsce1e53b0.jpg

The stain glass windows celebrate the arrival of the para’s and the liberation that followed.

KPPbf6Y.jpg

There's a quiet bridge over the Merderet River some two miles (3km) west of Sainte-Mere-Eglise saw some of the fiercest fighting for the 82nd Airborne Division during their time in Normandy.
The capture of this bridge at La Fiere was considered a pre-requisite to allow Allied forces to cross the Merderet River and push to the eastern side of the Cherbourg peninsula to isolate it for later capture.

0aPqEWL.jpg

The Germans however understood the importance of this position and like at Angoville au Plain, were occupying the position for the Anti-Invasion Exercise that the 92nd German Air-Landing Division was carrying out with the 6th Parachute Regiment on the night of June 5th.
Following an attack by the 505 Regiment in the early hours of June 6th the Germans were pushed out and the bridge then secured. While this was happening, Col Timmes gathered with elements of the 507th Regiment in an orchard just north of the road leading to the la Fiere Bridge on the west bank of the river.
Although out of contact with the Paras on the bridge and completely unsure if the invasion had even succeeded, Col Timmes was occupying strategically important ground over and past which any German counterattack against the positions at the bridge would have to make their way. Although safe from being overrun by the Germans, Col Timmes' mixed Group of Paras was very exposed to German artillery and mortars and suffered heavily during the 3 days they occupied the orchard.
The Germans launched an armoured counter attack on the afternoon of June 6th but were beaten back by the combined efforts of both groups of paratroopers. A second armoured attack on June 7th was also beaten off but by this stage the Paras were starting to ask; Where are the tanks? They had been told that the tanks coming inland from Utah Beach would be with them by lunch time of June 6th. Finally on the evening of June 7th support arrived but still no American tanks and the Paras spent most of June 8th still fighting off counter attacks.
On June 9th the tanks finally arrived and were ready to advance across the causeway, finally securing the position and also carrying relief to the other two 82 Airborne Regiments that were isolated on the other side of the river Merderet.

There's a monument to the airborne overlooking the causeway towards Coquiney.

yUjy3sz.jpg

The farm complex, bridge and causeway at La Fiere.
You can see the Coquiney chaple in the distance.
http://www.travelfranceonline.com/la-fiere-memorial-park-and-battle-wwii/

T46h6kA.jpg

Unfortunately it was pouring rain at the time and could take few photos.

Monument to Col. Timmes and the Para's at Timmes Orchard

obV0KI5.jpg

Marmion Farm - E Company 101st Airborne action

Just hours after the D-Day invasion began, James Flanagan, with other paratroopers of the 101st Airborne Division, captured a Nazi flag from a command post headquarters in a farm complex near Ravenoville. The paratroopers had landed in the middle of the night to eliminate German resistance along the causeways to Utah Beach.

Flanagan: Using my clicker [cricket], I started looking for company. At first I didn't recognize my position from the maps that I had previously studied. I heard some shooting, so I began moving toward Ravenoville. The firing was coming from a German MG42 machine gun. The person pulling the trigger, however, wasn't a very good shot. The Army had trained me how to crawl so that I was only 4 inches off the ground, so I did. Soon there was more activity. I began recognizing the sounds of our M-1s. By way of moonlight, using my clicker, I began joining up with troops from other companies and regiments. By dawn, there were about 20 of us. We didn't know each other, but a major [Major John P. Stopka, 3/502nd] came over and organized us into a group and led us on an attack of a German garrison at a farm complex [Marmion] at Ravenoville. This was also the location of the German MG42 that had been firing on us. The Germans were about platoon size in strength. The battle lasted for about an hour and a half…..

ECompany at the Marmion Farm

9CoXARZ.jpg

Beuzeville au Plein - Lt Thomas Meehan III C47 crash site and monument

Lt Meehan and the 16 members of Easy Company's HQ Section flew to Normandy aboard a C-47 Skytrain of the 439th Troop Carrier Command, one of thirty-six forming Serial 12 of Mission Albany, and was headed for Drop Zone C (1 mile West of Sainte Marie-du-Mont).

The aircraft was hit by German anti-aircraft fire. An eyewitness in another aircraft said "the plane left the formation and slowly initiated a right turn. I followed it with my eyes and noticed its landing lights coming on, I thought it was going to be all right. Then, suddenly, it came crashing down a hedgerow and instantly exploded." The plane crashed near the village of Beuzeville-au-Plain (approximately 2 miles northeast of the town of Sainte-Mère-Église), killing the crew and the paratroopers aboard, including Company "E"'s entire company headquarters group. The wreckage of the plane wasn't confirmed found until the 1950s, so until then, he and all the men on the plane were missing in action. A memorial was later erected near the site.

Brecourt Manor - Winters gun emplacement

It may look like just a grassy field but there were four gun emplacements here firing on Utah Beach.

Our guide took about a half an hour to describe how Dick Winters and Ronald Spiers of E Company knocked them out. In all the action of fire and maneuver took about three and a half hours.

Maps and diagrams of the fight

A monument to Winters (within sight of Utah Beach)

Saint Marie du Mont - Church - Village - Red Ball EXPRESS - 1st village liberated in US sector

During the early hours of June 6th, American paratroopers dropped in behind enemy lines in and around the village, with the objective of securing key targets prior to the allied beach landings. Although elements of the 501st and 506th Airborne were scattered all over the area after the parachute drop, General Taylor regrouped the men and took the Germans by surprise. The village was under allied control in the later that afternoon.

One of the distinguishing features is the tower of the church. This magnificent structure almost seems out of place for such a little village. The bell tower was utilised by the Germans during the war as an observation point. On a clear day, it is possible to see as far as the Bay of Veys.

Angoville au Plain - Drop Zone D & 101st A/B 501 PIR Medics Church (Bob Wright & Kenneth Moore) & 506 PIR HQ

Angoville-au-Plain is one of the least populated communes in Manche having only 50-60 inhabitants today, perhaps even fewer in 1944. At 0220 Hrs on June 6, 1944 paratroopers of the 101st Airborne Division landed in their designated DZ (Drop Zone) D, near this small village.

During that afternoon an aid station was set up in the village's 11th century church. Medics, Pvt Robert E. Wright and Pvt Kenneth J. Moore of 2nd Battalion, 501st PIR began caring for wounded US paratroopers. The fighting in the area continued for three days and the number of wounded grew. Casualties from both sides and one French child were treated by Moore and Wright. Angoville changed hands 3 times during the fighting as each side alternatively found it necessary to withdrew and regroup. But the aid station in the church held fast and continued treating the wounded. When the Germans first retook Angoville they burst into the church but when they saw that both American and German wounded were being treated, they placed a red cross on the door and the church was not bothered again.

Both Wright and Moore later received the Silver Star in recognition of their bravery and the 80 lives they saved.

According to our guide, who met and spoke with Bob Wright, Colonel Von der Heydte of the 6th German Parachutist Regiment came in to the church the church where upon Wright admonished him for wearing fire arms in the aide station. Von der Heydte then left his weapons outside the church, came in and asked Wright if he needed anything. Wright said that he and Moore were only medics and that they needed a doctor. Von der Heydte left and shortly thereafter a German doctor arrived and went to work on both the German and American wounded. Later when the church again changed hands the German doctor stayed to take care of the wounded.

Later in the war Von der Heydte was wounded (a broken arm?) and captured. When he went to the aid station he once again met Wright, who took care of his arm, and remembered him from Normandy.

The pews are still stained with blood

The stained glass windows celebrate the American arrival

And its use an aid station (the red cross at the top)

Some observations…

I was surprised at how close everything was such as the American lines were to La Fiere.

That La Fiere was just a group of farm buildings and not a town.

Timmes orchard to the cause way

How close Saint Marie du Mont was to Utah Beach.

And more.

How beautiful the Norman country side is.

How quiet the scenes of carnage and destruction are today.

How, when the tour started, I felt like a tourist on a grand day out and then the church bell at Ste Mere-Eglise began to ring bringing home where I really was and what I was seeing and what had happened here. It really was quite moving. I still get a little misty thinking of it.

And that was just the first of many times. (like walking the causeway to Cauquigny)

Just how thick and impenetrable the bocage really is.

A dirt lane close to Utah Beach with bocage on either side.
(There would be only one way to go and that would be straight down that lane)

Last edited:
Great report!!!!!

You didn't happen to have a tour guide from Ireland did you?

Whooooppppssss........ I just read your other post....

No, he was stationed in Northern Ireland outside of Belfast back in the early 80's though.
He had some hard stories of those times.

On the lighter side, as I said he did have a bit of a wit, one time it was kind of silent in the van as we traveled from one place to another. We were all contemplating what we just saw and Gary's knowledge of it all, (and I mean he could answer all our questions in depth, he had read unit reports or knew or met the people who were there or their families both Allied and German) when someone asked him "Gary, how long have you been doing this for?" and without missing a beat and with a straight face says "Almost three weeks."
(Now, having researched guides extensively I knew Gary had been doing tours full time for about seven years and part time for many years before that and studied the battle of Normandy practically all his life)
There was a stunned silence in the van.
Finally I said "I guess you didn't take weekends off." and started to laugh.
Everyone started to understand then and he admitted doing this full time for the seven years and studied the battle for much longer.

For the rest of the tours it kept coming up for one reason or another, "Gee Gary, for someone who's been only doing this for three weeks......"

I guess he would take you where you wanted.
Gary did put together an itinerary based on what I told him what we wanted to see months in advance.
On Day two or three I said something about Villers Boccage and he said it wasn't in the plan. What!? we all exclaimed.
So instead of on Day 5 going to St Lo, which I understand there is very little to see, he went home that night and reorganized the day so as to see various other points of significance.
And I am really glad he did.
In the end though Villers Bocage had been pretty well blown up during the battle and is kind of a modern town now with very little to experience how Wittmann's fight took place.

Day 5 - Various
Longues-sur-Mer - Gun battery original coastal guns
Cristot - Sunken lane CSM Stan Hollis VC action against 12SS
Audrieu - Chateau - HQ 12SS Reconnaissance Battalion - Scene of executions
Audrieu - Monument to the murdered
Putot-en-Bessin - Monument in the village to the Canadian units - Royal Winnipeg Rifles and Canadian Scottish
Bretteville L'Orgueilleuse - Regina Rifles/12th SS Panzer Division/knocked out Panther tank and destroyed church
Rots - 46 Commando Memorial
Rots - Canadian Scottish/Chaudiere/Fort Garry Horse Memorial & Passage Leon Gagne (married the bakers daughter)
Rots - Church square - tank battles with 12th SS
Abbey d'Ardennes - 12th SS Panzer/25th Panzer Grenadiers Regimental HQ - Kurt Meyer - Canadian prisoners executed 7th (plus other dates) June 1944.

Lunch at Bretteville-sur-Odon

Hill 112 - 43rd Wessex Division v various SS units 1/9/10 and 12
Villers Bocage
Tilly-sur-Seulles - British Cemetery

Wow, thanks for posting this, Gunner! Great pictures. Hope I get there someday...

I guess he would take you where you wanted.
Gary did put together an itinerary based on what I told him what we wanted to see months in advance.
On Day two or three I said something about Villers Boccage and he said it wasn't in the plan. What!? we all exclaimed.
So instead of on Day 5 going to St Lo, which I understand there is very little to see, he went home that night and reorganized the day so as to see various other points of significance.
And I am really glad he did.

Just looking at your earlier post and realised that you were pretty much around the corner of my 'Three Patrol Action' scenario. Would be good to be able to go to some of these locations that you've made scenarios for to see if you 'got it right.' :p Swear I'd go through about ten memory cards in my camera at least on a trip like this.

@Ithikial

Just looking at your earlier post and realized that you were pretty much around the corner of my 'Three Patrol Action' scenario. Would be good to be able to go to some of these locations that you've made scenarios for to see if you 'got it right.' :p Swear I'd go through about ten memory cards in my camera at least on a trip like this.

The distances between objectives were much closer than I had thought they would be.
But I guess at night in a crawl things would seem much farther apart. ;)

Where can I find the Three Patrol Action? 'd like to play it and get a new appreciation feel for Normandy fighting.

LoL, I had three 32Gb flash cards for my camera, I took 894 pictures and still have 1500 pictures left on my first flash card!
Man, digital photography really lets you go to town taking pics all right.
One thing, I tried taking video, but after even just a minute I felt like more a camera man than a participant in the tour. After that I just kept to the still pictures.

Looking at your posts brings back fond memories of my own visit last year on June 5th the day before the main 70th anniversary celebrations we visited Point du hoc battery this was very moving and very eerie being in such a devastated landscape.
An early morning visit to Omaha cemetery also puts you amongst such brave men who didn't live to see what they sacrificed so much for.
St mere eglise was totally packed and some visiting veterans in uniform were chatting to anyone who said hello very moving so many years later and a massive highlight was seeing the Dakota flying again over this famous town.
All in all one memorable visit and I will will be back many more times to see even more .. recommended to anyone with an interest in this era .. I may post some photos to get you in the frame of mind to go too.... not forgetting the British beaches Pegasus bridge is my all time favourite visit le gondre cafe .....

@TIGER67
Wow, you were there for the 70th?
Gary, our guide, lives during the summer near Sword Beach, said the place was packed.
A lot of programs going on.
He too, spoke with many veterans. That would have been great.
St, Mere Eglise was our first stop. I couldn't believe I was actually there. And then the Church bells started to ring and, well, it was pretty moving.
A museum here in upper New York State flew over a C47 that was there in '44 to join in the jump reenactment. It was in all the papers.
I would have love to have seen it.
We had lunch at the Gondree Cafe too!
We met Madame Gondree who was just a little girl at the time of the invasion.
Man, it was pouring rain where we were at the bridge. Didn't stop us though we were all very well prepared.
It's hard for me to say which is my favorite spot just yet. (There were so many in the 6 days we toured). I'll have to think on it more and include it in the conclusion at the end of the Day 6 thread. (almost there).

And yes, I sure hope to get back there.
Perhaps we'll meet and have a pint together.
Cheers mate!

DSCF3649.JPG Thanks for your reply and sounds like a great idea ,I am off to Brittany in 2 weeks to visit my parents as they moved over to France about 10 years ago.
some good food and wine and beer ....
A picture from June 5th 2014 ... Omaha Beach.

Very cool! While I was stationed in Belgium at NATO HQ I took a history class and part of it included a field trip to visit the D-Day landing areas and surrounding battlefields. We also camped out on the cliffs above the Omaha Beach landing area and I was able to get a great picture of the sunrise. One of the most memorable sites that we visited were the giant craters left by the naval bombardment at Pointe Du Hoc.

Back