Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Operation Konrad - Round 3 General Thread

Do we also learn before the start which unit/battalion is fielded by each side in the battles?
No, as per the first 2 rounds.

I only see 30 and 45 minute options in QB setup.
Fu.....dge.
I was looking at options in the Scenario Editor. $#@%^$^% CM inconsistency! :mad:
I will amend the battle as 45 minutes. That might be a tad too long, but 30 will definitely be too short.
@Cargol @Gorst

Last battle posted:

Vertes Mountains - Csakvar:
@dkchapuis vs @Bleskaceq

Historical:
By January 6, Operation Konrad I had become stuck and unable to advance further through the Gerecse Mountains. The IV SS-Pz Korps had advanced through Tarjan to Many and Bicske through he mountains, but was assailed from all sides by Soviet reserves. The German I.Kav Korps overseeing the Vertes mountains had been unable to breakthrough to Csakvar to relieve pressure on IV SS-Pz Korps. This prompted the change in avenue to attack to Konrad II, along the Danube River and through the Pilis Mountains.
Although Zamoly was finally captured during Konrad III, The 20th Guards Rifle Corps and the 68 Rifle Corps managed to hold the Vertes mountains and the Csakvar area throughout the Konrad operations.

Campaign: The 5th SS Panzer Division ‘Wiking’ achieved a breakthrough amongst the forested areas north of Zamoly, and is now attempting to break through the next line of Soviet defense south of Csakvar. The 5th Guards Cavalry Corps has taken up this ad-hoc defensive line in another forested area. The Germans will need to capture a combination of road junctions to enable the continuation of their armored advance down snowy back roads.
  • German Player - @dkchapuis
  • Soviet Player - @Bleskaceq
  • Battle type – German Attack
  • Battle size – Medium
  • Length of Battle – 45 minutes
  • Map Selection– Human
  • Map: “OK Csakvar Rd3.btt”
  • Region – Eastern Europe
  • Year/Month – January 1945
  • Daylight – Day
  • Weather – Light Snow
  • Ground condition - Light Snow
  • Temperature - Freezing
  • Rarity – Loose
  • German Service - Waffen SS
  • Soviet Service - Soviet Guards
  • Combat Forces – Mix
  • Unit Purchase – Human
  • Map Preview – Preview Allowed
  • Force Adjustments – German +10%
  • Difficulty Level = Elite

No, as per the first 2 rounds.

Fu.....dge.
I was looking at options in the Scenario Editor. $#@%^$^% CM inconsistency! :mad:
I will amend the battle as 45 minutes. That might be a tad too long, but 30 will definitely be too short.
@Cargol @Gorst
No comment was made

Last edited:
Do we also learn before the start which unit/battalion is fielded by each side in the battles?
On tracks 1-3 this can be deduced from the conditions, but at Balatonfokajar I see no way of finding out what @Shady Side will be up against.

I only see 30 and 45 minute options in QB setup.
I remember that we aren’t allowed to know. Only OPO knows as part of Fog of war

Three games are making great progress:
@Shady Side vs @Spoogles - Turn 19
@Drifter Man vs @jackal - Turn 16
@Guardsman vs. @Monty's Mighty Moustache - Turn 7

Three games haven't gotten off the ground:
@Brille vs @Aurelius - Turn 2 - awaiting Brille (5 days since last turn)
@Cargol vs @Gorst - Turn 1 - awaiting Cargol (6 days since last turn)
@dkchapuis vs @Bleskaceq - Turn 1 - awaiting Chap (7 days last turn)

A few points:
1) If you are going to be out more than 2-3 days, you need to let your opponent and I know that. I know Chap has done so for his game.
2) If you haven't submitted your first turn because you are playtesting 50 different purchases and strategies, get off the horse and move it.
My plan had been to just get turns taken for folks running behind in order to keep things on track, but that's a hard step to take when people haven't even purchased yet. You may be disappointed finding yourself with 20 Supply Platoons :confused:.

As I've previously said for this campaign and the 2022 CMCW tournament, I understand that RL things come up, and for the most part folks are patient. But - communication is key.

I must apologize to @OnePingOnly and @Aurelius . The last working days got a little late surprisingly so I couldn't get myself to finally set things up.

I hope today or tomorrow I get things running. Once this is done it will be a turn each day again (If nothing important comes in the way).

Here's a quick update on Round 3 progress:

@Cargol vs @ Gorst - Budapest / Rose Hill: File 27
@Brille vs @Aurelius - Dorog: File 10
@Drifter Man vs @jackal - Tarjan: File 31
@dkchapuis vs @Bleskaceq - Czakvar: File 13
@Guardsman vs @Monty's Mighty Moustache - Osi Meet: File 26
@Shady Side vs @Spoogles = Balatonfokajar Meet: File 40

Thanks for the good turn rates after things got going.

There are some really good battles happening or shaping up. With one exception, the maps are providing some interesting challenges to both sides.

@OnePingOnly @Aurelius @Shady Side

I just wanted to inform you guys that I will be on vacation starting friday for one week.

I will not be able to send any turns then.

We can continue at sunday 11th of february or maybe the following monday.

I will get as many turns out as possible till then.

This isn't good...
But I'm quite happy jackal is spending his clearly limited mortar ammo trying to kill one of my 17 still remaining AA halftracks. Another one is ready to take this one's place if needed.
I observe that jackal has started putting his infantry behind buildings rather than inside, so I'll reduce the AA fire volume and increase mortar shelling.

cm red thunder.exe Screenshot 2024.01.30 - 18.57.55.70.jpg

Not to start a fight or anything, but I think @OnePingOnly will have to revise unit purchase rules, since this is beyond gamey. Bare in mind, I once faced a force entirely made of Tunguskas. It was a sight to behold, knocking out the largest building in BS in a matter of seconds... Ruins any notion of h2h gameplay though...

We all play to win, but this is too much.

i also don't know why u post it to make something clear or just made a mistake. but yea i would add on in that for future events. i think u made a smart move to spam AA halftracks when having a heavy panzer unit (why doesn't at least a % of the force needs to contain heavy panzers?) but is it sporty ? but i tought the goal was more to make an more realistic campaign. Adding on to that u already knew what force u where going to face because we set up te match manually, i think for future matches its better one ping will set up the match if he gots the time for that (he is already in the dropbox and knows both paswords).

In fact, if the demands aren't met or even discussed, I'll resign my command after my battle is over.

1) 30 minutes battles - 45 is an unfair advantage, and battles take way too long to complete.
2) clearer purchase rules - no more cheeki breeki formations like above.
3) more active involvement of the gm, to prevent gameplay in bad faith - example: game starts, turns flow, something happens and suddenly real life happens, and turns stop.

Wrong thread... apologies to @jackal for posting it here. Yes, it was meant for the private discussion.
Damage has already been done.
The purchase is very well within the clear purchase rules. Nothing was broken nor bent. Let's discuss the battle after it is over.

Back