Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Operation Lion Shield DAR

Paleolithic Monk

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
OLS DAR 1.JPG
DAR for OPERATION LION SHIELD

A H2H, Quick Battle between Explorer and Paleolithic Monk (Started on 29MAY2020)

This battle will represent a counter-insurgency operation by the Syrian Army. Their mission is to seize the mountain village of Al-Anser from a known insurgent force. The village is reported to be fortified with trenches and natural terrain that will make the operation difficult for the regular forces.

The battle length is 45 minutes, day time, and dry ground conditions.

Current intelligence images, obtained through Russian drone over-flights, confirm the multiple trenches, structures and difficult terrain.
OLS DAR 2.JPG

The composition of the Syrian force is currently unknown to the insurgent group, however given the difficult terrain to traverse and the remote location of Al-Anser, a mixed, mechanized force, possibly supported by tanks, is expected.

In preparation, the insurgent group has fortified Al-Ansur as a staging area as well as a designated strong-point in the region. The insurgent force consists of several unconventional fighter and combat groups, armed with AK family assault rifles, RPG variants and sniper rifles. In support are several technical trucks, medium mortars (limited ammunition), AT assets including the deadly AT-14 Kornet, medium and heavy tripod mounted machine guns and a cell of fanatical suicide fighter driving two VBIEDs.

The unconventional/ insurgent force I’m commanding for this battle is not to be taken lightly. I have high-threat assets that will decimate the Syrian force if Explorer is careless or approaches this fight without considering the threat level. As a note, I, of course, DO NOT agree with, condone or support the real-life actions of these terrorist groups. I personally fought in Iraq three times during my military career and don’t want to glorify them in any way. This is Combat Mission Strike Force 2.
OLS DAR 8.JPG

Last edited:
OLS DAR 3.JPG

This overhead map displays the insurgent’s initial set-up zone. I’ve identified rough terrain that will detour vehicles, the prominent “Razerback Ridgeline” that will effectively screen Syrian movement as well as provide an elevated location for a possible base of fire. I expect dismounted infantry to occupy this ridge and have positioned assets to deal with that threat.

The longer red arrows represent what I think will be Explorer’s most likely routes to take on his attack. Again, AT and MG assets have been positioned to negate ease of movement on the Syrian side. The red blast markers are expected pre-mission bombardment locations. As such, I have positioned troops and assets away from those locations until the bombardment ceases, I will then rush them up to occupy the strong points. The white clouds represent expected smoke screens to mask the Syrian Army’s movements. If so, my forces will wait until they emerge from the smoke and engage them then. Finely, the blue “AT” markers represent critical anti-tank/vehicle assets to reduce and/or destroy the Syrian high-value support assets before they can become a threat to the entrenched insurgent forces.

Insurgent technical trucks, armed with heavy machine guns or recoil-less rifles emerge from their hide to maneuver into their firing positions.
OLS DAR 4.JPG

After losing troops and assets in a previous battle to a Syrian attack helicopter, I decided to beef up my insurgents air defense with two SA-18 teams.
OLS DAR 7.JPG

This fanatic is gunning his engine to get ready to ram his explosive filled vehicle into the nearest Syrian tank or armored vehicle. He’s eager to meet his promised “72 Virgins”!
OLS DAR 5.JPG

Apparently, I was correct in guessing some of the Syrian force mix. This BTR is moving along the open/hilly route performing reconnaissance.
OLS DAR 6.JPG

Score one for the technical truck mounting a recoilless rifle! Anticipating a Syrian advance across the open/hilly route this technical was laying in wait. He didn’t have to wait long, punched a hole right through the BTR's nose. Note the prominent terrain feature of Razerback Ridge behind the other two BTR's. You can see how it channels the Syrian vehicle advance.
OLS DAR 9.JPG

Found out today that the AT-14 (or 9M133 Kornet) uses beam-riding, semi-automatic command to line of sight (SACLOS) to laser guide the missile to the operators intended target. However, this first shot hit the dirt about 1/3rd of the way to the juicy flank of a BTR. I’m going to declare operator error in that he probably pointed the cross-hairs in the sight down after the lurch of the missiles launch. Hopefully he learns from that mistake and the second missile hits the target.
OLS DAR 10.JPG

Score one for the technical truck mounting a recoilless rifle! Anticipating a Syrian advance across the open/hilly route this technical was laying in wait. He didn’t have to wait long, punched a hole right through the BTR's nose. Note the prominent terrain feature of Razerback Ridge behind the other two BTR's. You can see how it channels the Syrian vehicle advance.
View attachment 19142

Found out today that the AT-14 (or 9M133 Kornet) uses beam-riding, semi-automatic command to line of sight (SACLOS) to laser guide the missile to the operators intended target. However, this first shot hit the dirt about 1/3rd of the way to the juicy flank of a BTR. I’m going to declare operator error in that he probably pointed the cross-hairs in the sight down after the lurch of the missiles launch. Hopefully he learns from that mistake and the second missile hits the target.
View attachment 19143
Nice, another DAR! :)

Yeah the AT-14 is great system, AFAIK the nose diving started with CMSF2. It occurs a bit much imo, for all Red ATGMs and the Milan 3 in my experience. The ATGM in your screenshot some type of AT-3 though I'd say? There are some versions of those in game, the most basic still has MCLOS afaik (AT-3B I think).

You're quite correct! That was an AT-3. Came with the Large Fighter formation. Inset is my AT-14.
at comp.JPG

Insurgent fighters scramble from their hiding spots to occupy the trench at the North West Strong Point. In the background is the huge explosion from one of the VBIED's detonation amid a formation of dismounted Syrian Soldiers! That will motivate my troops to fight! (*see the video posted separately in another forum post)
OLS DAR 11.JPG

Syrian mechanized forces continue to push the open/hilly route, and continue to pay the price! Another BTR down, this time by an actual AT-14.
OLS DAR 12.JPG

Situation update, first 4 minutes into the battle. Syrian mechanized forces push the open/hilly route. No noted movement from the pass through Razerback Ridge though. One of my spy's has crawled up the ridge and spots a full platoon of BTS and a T-72 tank near the Y intersection (possible reserve force?). Other sound contacts indicate additional tanks in the area as well.
OLS DAR 13.JPG

So, Explorer is able to knock out rapid turns as well! I have some pretty interesting updates to the battle.

It appears the entire Syrian Army in this region has been tasked to secure my village! The T-72's are a surprise, Explorer must have tapped a Guards unit to accompany this attack.
OLS DAR 14.JPG

I decided to rush my second (and last) VBIED at the formation of BTRs previously spotted, NOT knowing there was a platoon of tanks guarding the rear area! Talk about pucker factor, I was yelling at my VBIED to hit the parked and closely packed BTR's while it was dodging unexpected tank fire. And at the literal last second of the turn....a direct hit from a Guards T-72, JUST as it was about to detonate! I bet Explorer pooped his pants a bit too!
OLS DAR 15.JPG

Last edited:
The open terrain the opposite side of Razerback Ridge from Al-Anser is rapidly becoming a vehicle graveyard! Burning BTR-60's, a technical truck and the remains of the two VBIED's are burning under the hot Syrian sun.
OLS DAR 16.JPG

A fortuitous re-positioning of this technical armed with a recoilless rifle allowed direct line of sight to the Syrian staging area. Before they could rapidly disperse, this crew destroyed two BTR-60's.
OLS DAR 17.JPG

The Syrians quickly re positioned one of their T-72's to deal with the threat, and received a round in the face for their effort. I don't think it penetrated the armored turret, but it may have shook up the crew or damaged a vital component.
OLS DAR 19.JPG

This Syrian BTR was just dismounting its infantry squad when a missile from an AT-14 struck. Chaos ensued.
OLS DAR 18.JPG

Don't underestimate the intelligence gathering capabilities of a spy and his cell phone. This guy, along with two other spy's have given me a very clear picture of my opponents movements and intentions behind the intervening Razerback Ridge-line once they were in position. I think Explorer is relying on the prominent terrain feature to completely mask his positioning of Syrian units.
OLS DAR 20.JPG

Seems like you are quite capable using the unconventional forces against the Syrians in relatively open terrain. Those shots with the SPG-9 on the technical are quite impressive! In my hands they usually miss, if they even manage to get a shot off before they get smashed ;)
BTW I found that in CMSF2 the T-72m1 (and better) turret is quite well protected. Especially against HEAT rounds, even the versions without the Kontakt-1 ERA. IIRC it has good chances to stop impacts from AT-3, AT-4 and AT-7 striking the turret. Although some of these have variants that are more capable and the AT-13 & 14 will go through like butter.

So far I'm pleased with the RR technical trucks. Lost one when repositioning it to hopefully engage oncoming BTR's on their flanks, but it was hit before getting into a better position. The other is actually doing well. I'm 50/50 on the AT missiles though. Some shots are dead on and others fall short. Had one flying straight at a BTR when the missile hit and blew-up a small bush right in front of the target!

From what I've seen and worked with, they are a civilian but also an uncon unit that is much harder for Blufor to spot or notice. They can be placed pretty far forward and move about to get a good view and report intel back to the uncon side. I like to think it is some guy who is sympathetic to the insurgents, but not a fighter himself, who just observes and calls someone on his cell phone. They are identified as hostile by Blufor when close enough or when identified and can be killed.
Remember that questionable guy on the phone in American Sniper? Think of him.
unnamed.png

Update at +11 minutes. The Syrians have attempted a reconnaissance in force along my left through the open/hills area. Several BTR's were destroyed and the Syrian troops dispersed. Along the right flank, especially near the Y-intersection, the Syrian force is staged for an assault, but some lucky attrition by my forces is reducing their combat power. A big threat has been revealed in the form of at least six, 120mm mortar teams deployed and preparing to fire. Besides the platoon (+) of tanks, these mortars are a priority target to be dealt with. Defensive positions remained manned, however some of the AT assets have expended all their ammunition, but at least to some effect on the Syrian force.
OLS DAR 21.JPG

In response to the mortars, I have moved three technical's (2 with MG's and the RR truck) up my side of Razerback and will move them hull down/ hunt with an assigned direction of the mortars. Best case, they will immediately open fire and destroy some of his indirect assets. Obviously my biggest threat to this plan is the three T-72 tanks guarding the Syrian rear area. I'm hoping my "Rat Patrol" attack will be quick and I'll withdraw just as quick.
OLS DAR 22.JPG

So far I'm pleased with the RR technical trucks. Lost one when repositioning it to hopefully engage oncoming BTR's on their flanks, but it was hit before getting into a better position. The other is actually doing well. I'm 50/50 on the AT missiles though. Some shots are dead on and others fall short. Had one flying straight at a BTR when the missile hit and blew-up a small bush right in front of the target!
This is a very eco friendly game, Don't shoot the bloody trees! ;-)
Funny those RRs are doing that good for you. I have great experience with ATGMs, although I did notice ATGMs quite often malfunctioning. IIRC in CMSF1 the modern ATGMs weren't showing similar nosedive numbers. Perhaps this behavior was ported over from CMBS, where I also noticed the same behavior for ATGMs. There was something about them modeling old / expired ATGMs there, but I'm not sure about the actual RL fail/miss rate of the various ATGMs so I'm not really in a position to comment. The US TOW launcher in the game seems not to have this nosedive behavior, although the Milan 3 does and the Dutch Gill has other problems. It's best fired from a higher position as it seems to be in a sort of ground skimming mode instead of top attack.
Anyway, apart from the occasional nose dive especially the AT-14 and AT-13 are excellent in CMSF2 imo, especially if one needs to make a dent in Blue armor at long range. Perhaps I'm not using them right but the only thing the Technicals under my command manage successfully is shoot and scoot area fire. Crew server RRs can be great against most things except Blue tanks, but not very accurate in my experience.

I know, just look how few trees/bushes there are on this terrain, and I hit one, LOL.
I'm smacking the Syrian light armor pretty good so far, and bonus, they probably still have no idea where the AT asset is hiding. Got to be nerve wracking to plan future maneuver through the kill zones!
I would smoke the whole area

Especially when riding in those thin cans! o_O
Yeah without smoke I wouldn't really ride troops around in those around. I probably would have dismounted the soldiers anyway, or maybe rush a couple forward with smoke indeed. Too easy to lose a IFV + whole squad from a couple of sneaky ATGMs in such open terrain.

Lion Shield is back in action. Both of us had some real life priorities, but all is good and the battle continues!
The three technical attack should have been a success, but only one of the MG trucks crested the ridge enough to fire at the heavy mortars. It did get a few kills on the crews before the T-72's spotted them. The predictable result was brutal for those guys. At least they are on their way to martyrdom. The other two were given hull down movement orders but only creeped up enough to spot the mortars but didn't engage. I'm repositioning them for another attack.
OLS DAR 23.JPG

Back