Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Operation Lion Shield DAR

My defenders covering the open/hilly approach are seeing very little Syrian movement. The two covering tanks, a T-72 and a T-62M are still there and when the smoke cleared, a RPG-29 team scored a direct hit on the T-62. A large hole was blown in the external armor and the drivers hatch immediately opened, but it is currently unknown if the crew bailed or what the operational status of the tank is. Unfortunately for the RPG-29 team, they couldn't celebrate their successful shot as the T-72 blasted them with a HE round.
OLS DAR 24.JPG
OLS DAR 25.JPG

Razerback ridge is seeing quite the increase in activity. The technical truck attacks have not been too successful, mainly suppressing the heavy mortars for a few seconds before ducking to cover from the T-72s covering the area. Another RPG-29 team did climb to the crest of the ridge and after a missed shot, hit one of the mortar transport and supply trucks with an awesome display as the ammunition in the truck cooked off. The explosion was so large that it has apparently taken out one of the mortars as a bonus! All this activity hasn't escaped the notice of the Syrians and one of the T-72s has rolled right up to the RPG-29 team. And....they are out of AT. You'll notice the gunner has slung the RPG and is preparing to engage the tank with his pistol (it worked for Tom Hanks).
OLS DAR 26.JPG
OLS DAR 27.JPG

An overall update at 15 minutes into the battle. The Syrians continue to stage for an attack, possible from two directions. Heavy mortar preparatory fire has begun at two of my strong points (noted by the yellow explosion icons)
OLS DAR 28.JPG

This last turn was a complex series of losses and victories on both sides. My technical trucks really freaked out over the T-72 climbing Razerback ridge and they both attempted evasive moves. One was taken out by another T-72 that was previously covering the open/ hilly approach, and the other truck was machine-gunned by the staged BTR's.
OLS DAR 29.JPG

However, when one door closes, another one opens. The T-72 that took out the technical found itself the victim of an AT missile.
OLS DAR 30.JPG

While my Pixeltruppen executed a textbook RPG anti-armor ambush on the lead T-72 trying to push through the Razerback pass.
OLS DAR 31.JPG

Two technicals lost for two T-72's. Not a bad trade.

Lion Shield is back in action. Both of us had some real life priorities, but all is good and the battle continues!
The three technical attack should have been a success, but only one of the MG trucks crested the ridge enough to fire at the heavy mortars. It did get a few kills on the crews before the T-72's spotted them. The predictable result was brutal for those guys. At least they are on their way to martyrdom. The other two were given hull down movement orders but only creeped up enough to spot the mortars but didn't engage. I'm repositioning them for another attack.
View attachment 19416

Recently I had some issues with Technicals in hull down too. While the command shows LOF, they didn't have LOF when they were actually at the spot. Guess it has to do with the weapon being mounted lower compared to most turreted / kazemat vehicles.

The Razerback ridge pass has become an intense infantry fight. My picket force is trying to hold the Syrian dismounted infantry back. Pushing past the burning T-72, this BTR attempted to dislodge my small force, but was hit by one on my few remaining AT missiles and peppered by 12.7mm MG fire. Not to be content with just jumping out and running, this Syrian driver took several point-blank pistol shots before being gunned down. Brave lad!
OLS DAR 34.JPG
OLS DAR 33.JPG

While the close combat in the pass continues, Explorer has switched to VT, proximity fuzes on his mortars and is trying to blast the entrenched defenders from overhead, shrapnel filled blasts.
OLS DAR 36.JPG

I ran one of my spys right into the Syrian formation in the open/hilly area. He made it to the giant VBIED crater before getting taken out. Was impressed by the plethora of dead Syrians in and around the crater! Not sure how many were hit by the VBIED and how many were hit later with small arms fire and a few mortar rounds lobbed in the vicinity, but it looks pretty cool!
OLS DAR 35.JPG

Final update. After a grueling and punishing amount of losses to fire power and moral, the Syrian Army has decided to pull back and concede to the irregulars! This fight was decided at Razerback ridge and the inability to mount an offensive past it and assault the town. From the final overhead, it is clear the Syrians just couldn't push much further than the ridge or the open/hilly area.
OLS DAR 39.JPG
I have to give full credit to @Explorer for trying different tactics to surmount the ridge, but the fortuitous placement of AT assets really hammered his armor and infantry carriers. The BTR's were easily destroyed as soon as they were detected and the tanks were a threat, but lucky AT missile strikes were their death blow.
It wasn't all puppies and kittens on my side, I did lose a fair number of technicals and some fighters. I was also very low on remaining ammunition for my AT assets. I think a full strength assault, backed by mortars and smoke could have put Syrian units within the town and been a much larger threat.
OLS DAR 37.JPG
I did crack the code, as it were, for successfully using a technical on the ridge. Slow move to hunt at a point higher on the top of the ridge. This truck firing a burst from it's 12.7mm MG his one of the mortar ammo trucks causing a catastrophic explosion.
OLS DAR 38.JPG

The butchers bill was high for the Syrians on this one. Thank you Explorer for the match. I hope we both learned lessons for future battles!
OLS DAR 40.JPG

Nice result!

Great DAR, don't see unconventional forces that often. Especially coming out with a win, although they have quite some tricks in their kitbag. Imo you operated in a very capable way.

First off congrats to @Paleolithic Monk on an excellently led operation!

Some things I was able to extrapolate from my defeat.

1. Information is Everything! @Paleolithic Monk was able to handily counter any advance I made. (in honesty my pushes lacked any cohesion or support by fire following the initial IED attack). It wasn't until my troops spotted and eliminated the spy that I realized the discrepancy in information between us. He knew exactly where the majority of my force was while I only could assume.

2. Don't Get Cute with the Mortars. I made the decision to bring in 6 120mm tubes and planned to use them in the direct fire support role once I'd captured the nearest objective and set up a base of fire there. We'll once 1 of my 2 FO's got dispatched by the IEDs I was in a bad way without any TRPs.

3. Unconventional Forces with AT-14s... still have AT-14s.

Thank you @Paleolithic Monk for the beatdown!

From what I've seen and worked with, they are a civilian but also an uncon unit that is much harder for Blufor to spot or notice. They can be placed pretty far forward and move about to get a good view and report intel back to the uncon side. I like to think it is some guy who is sympathetic to the insurgents, but not a fighter himself, who just observes and calls someone on his cell phone. They are identified as hostile by Blufor when close enough or when identified and can be killed

Yes, I played Daraya Tank Raid as the Syrians and although I knew there was at least one spy, I didn't find him. He was invisible in a building, even though my troops moved past.

Back