Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[PIC GALLERY] Dioramas, Scale Models & Others

Diorama of the Nakajima area in Hiroshima before and after the atomic bombing (Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum- Japan)
9TVI0WD.jpg

Amazing diorama (created by René Hieronymous from Austria) show the famous Kamikaze attack on the USS Missouri on April 11,1945. The japanese Zero crashed on Missouri’s starboard side, just below her main deck level. The battleship suffered only superficial damage, and the fire was brought quickly under control.
LAtkj3x.jpg

cohlCWQ.jpg

The damage was never repaired and the minor dents along the railing can be seen to this day.
I know 'cause I saw them. Very cool. :cool:
Tough times when you give your life for some dents. :(
IVCn94g.jpg

U3byzb9.jpg

One of the guns from the (same?) Kamikaze aircraft impaled on a a 40mm gun on USS Missouri BB-63:

1945_04_11_kamikaze_c.jpg

Crewmen of the USS Missouri BB-63 standing on the wing of the (same?) Kamikaze aircraft.

1945_04_11_kamikaze_d.jpg

Somewhere in France, 1944.
Credit: Mark Richardson dioramas

sanLze6.jpg

"...This diorama depicts a setback in the advance of the US 7th Armored Div. The setting is a small French town with the backdrop of a ruined church. There are a few soldiers trying to figure out the best continued advancement, the rest are relaxing, brooding or responding to civilians. I tried to show a few different conversations and interactions: soldiers giving/taking information, exchanging pleasantries or giving/taking orders. A rifleman generously hands a priest (presumably the destroyed church’s) a canteen; the French civilian who is obviously on clean-up duty looks on with folded arms as if grumbling: “And what about me? I’m doing all the work.” The front left corner is occupied by two elderly civilians in front of a German propaganda poster which depicts German infantry on the move. It reads: Infanterie Königen aller Waffen (Infantry, kings of all weapons). The lady is struggling with a bucket of canal water, and the man offers his assistance; even in times of war, civility is not forsaken. At the end of the bridge, two engineers are sizing up the damage. One engineer is using German 10 x 50 Service Binoculars which were more powerful than the standard US 6 x 30 optics. Two other soldiers on the bridge are looking down at the destroyed Willys in the canal.

The bridge was destroyed with TNT, and whoever detonated the charge obviously timed it to coincide with the Willy’s bridge crossing. As the blood attests, there were likely no survivors.

The Willys on the road is a reconnaissance vehicle fitted with a wire cutter on the front bumper. This ingenious device cut razor wire that the German’s would span across the roadway in hopes of decapitating Allied soldiers speeding by. There is also a Teddy Bear riding along with the gear that I imagine was given to the soldiers by a grateful civilian child.

The M8 “Greyhound” crew seems to be the only soldiers “chillin’”. The M4A3 Sherman and its crew aren’t going anywhere for the moment. The co-driver/hull gunner is saying something to the driver who seems to be ignoring him. Meanwhile, the commander is on the radio, reporting the situation and awaiting further orders..."

Would they put MGs on a Kamikaze!?
One would think they would use the weight for more explosives and/or petrol.

Maybe because it was not a dedicated kamikaze plane, but just a regular fighter that crashed into the ship?

Great and detalling diorama showing a massive train station, a tavern converted into a field hospital, and a Cathedral. The figures depict Germans preparing for the Battle of the Bulge offenses. (Dec 1944/Jan 1945)
F72KRCw.jpg

Credit of Andres Flores collection, Greeley, Colorado.

These big battleships were such an anticlimatic thing of WW2. I wonder if people at the time didn't realise how vulnerable they were to aircraft?

Last edited:
These big battleships were such an anticlimatic thing of WW2. I wonder if people at the time didn't realise how vulnerable they were to aircraft?
If they didn't, they did about 5 minutes after the Taranto Raid. The remaining doubters were converted 5 minutes after Pearl Harbor...

Reactions: mTk
Back