Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Potential Issue with CMCW

Nemesis

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I am playing a multiplayer game of CMCW. One issue is terrible spotting. I am not getting visual contact or even sound contacts for units that are shooting at me less than 100 meters away. Farther away, I am not seeing or getting sound contacts for ATGM launches.

Has anyone else seen this? I am a veteran of many, many CM games and I have never seen anything like this. My veteran troops seem blind, deaf, and dumb.

Haven’t noticed, but my time with this title has been minimal so far. I am hearing of other problems as well, so this doesn’t sound surprising.

I am only three games into CMCW, but Russian tanks in particular seem to be legally blind.
I have not tried the armor yet. My issue is with the infantry. Just last turn, I lost 9 men in two different elements to a US 3 man team. My guys never once saw the guys who were shooting at them. The whole battle was in a wheatfield at close range. 1 of my guys survived. He is still blind as a bat and has no idea what hit him.

FWIW In the bit of CMCW I played I didn't really notice such an issue. I did notice that US forces, especially in 1982, have better spotting overall compared to USSR. But that is probably working as designed and more applicable to (vehicles with) Thermal optics .

I have not tried the armor yet. My issue is with the infantry. Just last turn, I lost 9 men in two different elements to a US 3 man team. My guys never once saw the guys who were shooting at them. The whole battle was in a wheatfield at close range. 1 of my guys survived. He is still blind as a bat and has no idea what hit him.
It was an epic stand my guys were able to achieve. But ya, there does seem to be some spotting issues so far. We all know Battlefront is good on the listening to customer input and patching. I've already seen talk of upcoming fixes on the Battlefront forums.

It was an epic stand my guys were able to achieve. But ya, there does seem to be some spotting issues so far. We all know Battlefront is good on the listening to customer input and patching. I've already seen talk of upcoming fixes on the Battlefront forums.
There is nothing epic about murdering blind and deaf people. :ROFLMAO:

Another wave is going to hit you. You are heavily outnumbered by men hunting toward you on multiple axes.

I am not so sure about Battlefront. I have sent them a few things over the years and never heard anything back.

Maybe you could post a couple of screenshots from the situation?
Videos would be better, but I am not taking the time to do that. :D

Imagine, 3 or 4 Russian veteran infantry teams online with a "hunt" command toward 1 enemy infantry team. Engagement distances are 50m to 100m. They are all in a wheatfield. You know that their is an infantry team there because they moved previously and you saw them.

The enemy infantry team opens fire. All you see are tracers and your guys falling dead. Your guys keep hunting forward.

Your guys see nothing. No sound contact. No visual contact. Your guys never fire a shot of return fire.

Thats why you dont see anything. It works the same at least in CMRT. Wheatfields are rare in other cm games so you might never have encountered it before.
Not just wheatfields. Woods too.

Not just wheatfields. Woods too.
woods tend to have it happen to a lesser degree but it still happens.
It wouldnt be an issue if the hunt command alst stopped the unit if they recieve fire rather than just if they spot targets.

It wouldnt be an issue if the hunt command alst stopped the unit if they recieve fire rather than just if they spot targets.
I could swear it used to work like that, and they changed it.

I've been posting about it on the official forum, with the usual (lack of) response.

Imagine, 3 or 4 Russian veteran infantry teams online with a "hunt" command toward 1 enemy infantry team. Engagement distances are 50m to 100m. They are all in a wheatfield. You know that their is an infantry team there because they moved previously and you saw them.

The enemy infantry team opens fire. All you see are tracers and your guys falling dead. Your guys keep hunting forward.
If the enemies are prone in the wheat, maybe that's what conceals them and they can pick off your guys as they walk into view?

I've been posting about it on the official forum, with the usual (lack of) response.

Thats probably the single biggest issue i have with them.
Pointing out anything gives you no response or rarely an acnoledgement they read your post.
Even things that are clearly and demonstrably wrong dont necessarily get fixed.

Im playing my first game of this and have noticed a real wierd map issue, at ground level i im on the high ground looking down towards my opponent, then i look from my opponents perspective, and it would appear he has high ground advantage looking down at me. Long and short is i dont know who is higher than who, seems screwy

MG2 in wheatfield.
MG42.jpg

Well, to get a response, the first thing one must do is way more than complain that the game is not working correct because of a few events within you game that does not seem to be working to your wants.

It takes seeing a problem, testing it out to see what the game is actually doing to verify what the results are within the game as to the item in question and then to be able to back that up with hard facts as to why it is incorrect.

So first thing to note here, moving units through woods or wheat fields with the enemy waiting in a defensive position is normally going to get you slaughtered in the game, it has been that way from the early releases of cm2. So not sure why you think its a new issue now. Unless you have not played with the later periods much. Things that are one sided in the WW2 titles are just that much worst in the later periods because of the firepower involved.

There is no smart way to move up on a enemy unit other than when you have firepower on them and they are pinned or moving when you are providing concealment so they cannot fire on you. Other than that, you are asking to get your ass kicked.

Now as to 40 men moving through wheat and taking on ten men in wait.
It sounds like you assume the 40 should have the advantage, that once the firing starts, they should be able to spot that fire and return with heaver amounts of fire and win the engagement.

Well lets play this out in RL thinking.
First, the 10 will spot and engage almost every time first, in RL and within the game.

Second, they will open up on targets they see, the enemy will likely have no targets.

Third, some of the approaching enemy should and will die at the distances you are discussing

Forth, if you are being shot at and some of your men go down, most likely you are all hitting the ground and looking for cover if any is possible. Not looking to fire back at a unclear target.

Once laying down in wheat field or woods, pretty hard to see very far. thus still not seeing the enemy.

Plus out of the 40 men, in all truth only a handful will likely be in position to see the enemy even if they were willing to try and return fire.

So with my version of the fire fight, it sounds like the game is getting it about correct. So lets discuss how it should be if I am missing something here.

So with my version of the fire fight, it sounds like the game is getting it about correct.
I agree and play the game a lot and keep a log of what works and what doesn't work. Don't complain about the AI the reason I play on wego replay the turn and study what the AI does. The TacAI which clicks in when you play your units works the same way. One requirement to hit a target you need a correct sight picture and once you have the stress indicator turning yellow or red your troops won't hit a thing.

Back