Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

QOTD #8 - Impact of upgunning the M4 Sherman to 76mm?

I actually wrote wrong in the thread you quoted.. have updated it now. I believe even the 75mm can take on Panthers frontally in some circumstances.

I have never seen a US 75mm penetrate a Panther frontally, with one exception. I lost a Panther to a 75mm shell that hit the commander's circle of vision blocks on my Panther and the game counted it as a "Top Hit."

I have never seen a US 75mm penetrate a Panther frontally, with one exception. I lost a Panther to a 75mm shell that hit the commander's circle of vision blocks on my Panther and the game counted it as a "Top Hit."

You never saw it penetrate the front turret?

In CM the 76mm can penetrate the hull front on a Panther. You will definitely bounce more than you penetrate, and it may only be a partial, but the 76mm can KO a Panther without having to hit the turret.

Firing range test:
CM Normandy 2020-09-23 16-55-25-92.png

In CM the 76mm can penetrate the hull front on a Panther. You will definitely bounce more than you penetrate, and it may only be a partial, but the 76mm can KO a Panther without having to hit the turret.

Firing range test:
View attachment 21040

Thanks for sharing the test. This is a Lower Front Hull hit though. The 'underbelly', not the glacis.

You never saw it penetrate the front turret?

Never in CMX1 or CMX2.

In CMX1......the US 76.2mm shredded Panthers, but the 75mm still did not work. I would gladly match 76mm US tanks vs Panthers.

With this thinking, when I started CMX2.....I sent 4 US Shermans (3 76mm and 1 75mm) against 1 @Meat Grinder Panther and lost all 4 tanks.

Battlefront has treated the 76.2mm gun differently in different games and different patches.

Someone was saying that tank HE rounds are also more powerful in the .03 patch.

One thing to keep in mind.....being on slopes will alter the slope angle of your armor. Put your Panther on a down slope and you can make your armor "flatter" and easier to penetrate.

Someone was saying that tank HE rounds are also more powerful in the .03 patch.

If you mean the most recent patch? Then I've seen a Panther penetrate the front glacis of a Sherman with a HE round. That should not really happen I guess.

What happened was the Sherman was already knocked out, and the Panther was firing HE at some infantry behind it, but hit the Sherman.

The HE left a nice clean hole.

I have a savegame of it if anybody thinks I'm telling tall tales :)

Late war Panthers had poorer quality armour than those that were produced earlier due to Germany running out of the needed alloys to make the armour plates to the required toughness.

This may be what you are experiencing.

With this thinking, when I started CMX2.....I sent 4 US Shermans (3 76mm and 1 75mm) against 1 @Meat Grinder Panther and lost all 4 tanks.

Haha, I remember that game. That was a fun game, even though you got a (minor) victory. You taught me a lesson about TRPs, if I remember correctly. I do remember you commenting about my "invulnerable" Panthers.

But anyway, yea, a US 76mm can definitely take out a Panther from the front in CM2 (maybe more so now since the latest patch.....I dunno as I haven't played many games recently), but I still don't recommend a Sherman V Panther duel from the front, if you are playing USA. A Sherman 75 can definitely take out a Panther from behind though. Just ask @Wellsonian . :)

For me it all comes down to the British did actually do something right, which is seldom.
When they made the firefly and added one per platoon, it was the best and quickest answer to the issue and was about all that was needed considering the amount of times there was a chance to fight enemy armor direct.

What I always question is why didn't the Americans just start producing the same gun instead of going with the inferior 76.
That was a option and they choose not to do it, likely because of the time it would take to get lines ready to produce it.

For me it all comes down to the British did actually do something right, which is seldom.
When they made the firefly and added one per platoon, it was the best and quickest answer to the issue and was about all that was needed considering the amount of times there was a chance to fight enemy armor direct.

What I always question is why didn't the Americans just start producing the same gun instead of going with the inferior 76.
That was a option and they choose not to do it, likely because of the time it would take to get lines ready to produce it.
From what I understand it also had to do with the layout of the turret. With the 17pounder they'd lose one crewmen and the ergonomics wasn't up to par, which led to quite less rounds per minute. Also the accuracy of the 17pndr was less than the US 76mm.

Yup, the 17pdr hit harder than the 76mm, but was less accurate.

Also consider that if the USA had adopted the firefly despite its horrible ergonomics, that would be yet another line of ammo that would need to be supplied to the troops in field, the USA did not produce 17pdr ammo, so they'd either have to tool up for it or rely in the Brits to supply.

The USA going with the 90mm was the right decision, both guns are comparable and they already had the tooling ready for producing tubes and ammo.

Yes, you are likely correct.

It sticks out in my mind they did try to stick the 90 in the Sherman but there was too many engineering issues and it was dropped.

Like was pointed out, they had the logic that the weapon was a tank destroyer instead, and they did have the M36 by July 44 but it was not like that is true either, because they had the M26 in design also, for some reason they held off until the battle of the bulge convinced them they needed tanks instead of tank destroyers.

By my understanding the M36 was a stop-gap designed to both replace the M10 in the immediate term, and get a 90mm gun into the field while they worked out the bugs in the M26.

The boffins who were in charge of producing the M26 were adamant that it not go overseas until it had all the reliability and other issues sorted out, they did not want to end up in a situation like the Germans did with Panther.

From 'Germany's Panther Tank' by Thomas Jentz.

The Panther tank was seen as a necessary component of Operation Citadel, and the attack was delayed several times because of their mechanical problems and to receive more Panthers, with the eventual start date of the battle only six days after the last Panthers had been delivered to the front. This resulted in major problems in Panther units during the Battle of Kursk, as tactical training at the unit level, coordination by radio, and driver training were all seriously deficient.

It was not until 23–29 June 1943 that a total of 200 rebuilt Panthers were finally issued to Panther Regiment von Lauchert, of the XLVIII Panzer Corps (4 Panzer Army). Two were immediately lost due to motor fires on disembarking from the trains. By 5 July, when the Battle of Kursk started, there were only 184 operational Panthers. Within two days, this had dropped to 40. On 17 July 1943, after Hitler had ordered a stop to the German offensive, Gen. Heinz Guderian sent in the following preliminary assessment of the Panthers:

Due to enemy action and mechanical breakdowns, the combat strength sank rapidly during the first few days. By the evening of 10 July there were only 10 operational Panthers in the front line. 25 Panthers had been lost as total writeoffs (23 were hit and burnt and two had caught fire during the approach march). 100 Panthers were in need of repair (56 were damaged by hits and mines and 44 by mechanical breakdown). 60 percent of the mechanical breakdowns could be easily repaired. Approximately 40 Panthers had already been repaired and were on the way to the front. About 25 still had not been recovered by the repair service ... On the evening of 11 July, 38 Panthers were operational, 31 were total write-offs and 131 were in need of repair. A slow increase in the combat strength is observable. The large number of losses by hits (81 Panthers up to 10 July) attests to the heavy fighting.

Yes it's a cut and paste from Wikipedia, but the source checks out so saves me from having to type it out myself!

Basically the Germans rushed the Panther into action before working out all of the issues, hence the poor reliability on its debut.

I've wondered if this could be replicated in CM somewhat, you buy five Panthers but only three show up because the other two broke down trying to get to the battlefield - I can imagine it wouldn't be a popular change! :ROFLMAO:

Back