Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Question of the Day #10

LOL how would it have played out? Not well for Canada I expect. :)

As for the question of who would the British support that's easy, Canada. In the scenario you laid out with the US invading Canada and Canada counter attacking the British would have surely supported Canada officially. What that would really have looked like I have no idea. I find it hard to picture the British sending an army to fight along side Canada in the 1930s but who knows.

Not since the mid 1800s have we had enough armed forces to face of against the US and many of those were British troops back then too. It is amazing to find out all the wacky contingency plans various armed forces come up with. I personally had never heard of that one before.

It is hard to imagine how the politics would have had to change for any of this to actually come true. The US would have had to never have let got of their Manifest destiny doctrine of 1800s.

Few Good Men goes Sci-Fi?

Wouldn't of made a difference. The sheer weight of manpower the US could call upon would eventually solve the matter in terms of a traditional invaision before any serious outside help arrives. Planning a landing and then relying on logistical support from across the Atlantic would have been too tough. An ongoing gurellia war may have worn the US resolve down over time and helped lead to a withdrawl (ala Vietnam) but in a straight up fight between the two nations I can't see it going any more than one way. Good what if scenario though, particularly if it occurs a few decades after with the likes of Lee, Jackson and Grant all on the one side. :) But I guess burning down the White House once gave American's pause and helped them focus their attention both west and south for the next 50 years. :p

Fictional side note, in the popular Fallout Universe the USA 'annexes' Canada a few years before the bombs drop to grabs it's resources and secure land supply routes to Alaska where they are fighting an ongoing conflict with the Chinese. The US occupation of Canada is implied to be brutal. Then the bombs drop. War, war never changes.

Controversial defense plans? Check out this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane_Line

On a serious note.....IIRC the USA didn't have much in the way of a standing army in the 1930s. Not sure how the leaders of the time would have convinced the public that a war with Canada was necessary.

Back