Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Reinforced Company Tactical Group in a Meeting Engagement AAR

:rolleyes:oops... My computer was too weak for good working with this page and I couldn't skip it up and read the head. I'm sorry. There was no need to be good in tenses, I just would be more attentive. И спасибо за ответ, товарищ!

As expected, on turn 21, the Metis-M team gets destroyed. Two 125 mm guns were working on them.

Tunguska continues doing its job.

eOV4y7Z.jpg

Turn 21 end state. PKM team is moving forward, towards the sound contact of the BTR.

ZDSLrMW.jpg

On turn 22, a soldier is spotted.

veiqTVz.jpg

Soon after, BTR 4 is spotted backing up, its turret oriented backwards. It is the damaged one.

cjI4NZM.jpg

Tunguska, BTR 82A and T 90A open up on it. They destroy the house right next to it, too. Two objectives completed simultaneously.

6jUK0vI.jpg

Casualty from headquarters team is spotted. Judging by the kit - AK 74, RPG 22 on the back, no signs of radio station(s), I conclude that he was an ordinary soldier assigned to an HQ unit (there to provide security, serve as a courier and pack mule).

q8RmQLl.jpg

Turn 22 end state. PKM team got ambushed on its way, single casualty sustained. Valuable information - the woods are occupied by at least a fire team (I suspect a squad is there). Spotting round fell on area of Red 1.

KVx6Fw1.jpg

Not much happened on turn 23. Tunguskas and T 90A fired on general area of Blue 2. Zemun 3 formed a platoon column and it began the process of getting to the contested woods. Spotting round fell on the area of Red 2. A slight lull in the fighting occurs, platoons are reorganized, timetables adjusted.

vvi1N05.jpg

There is a reason it has 1800+ 30 mm HE-I shells. While not the most precise system for ground fire, it sure does have a good area of effect - and for suppression that is all you need.

1800 is a good amount, especially if there are no air targets around.

Who needs suppression if you can take down the village with enemy platoon inside :LOL:

Lol I played that one when I was ~16-20 orso. I even had the box with the CD rom inside, large Red box featuring Soviet symbols ;-).
Arguably the game that got me in RTS/Strategy games. This combined with a heavy dose of Command and Conquer

@Lethaface and @Explorer World in Conflict was one of the best RTS games ever made in my opinion. I have very fond memories of using precision artillery strikes to destroy tanks, Soviet heavy tanks reporting "Hostile armor PENETRATED" upon destruction of AFV's, watching every cut-scene...

What got me into strategies were Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader. I can still hear "Wood needed!"! :ROFLMAO:

On turn 24, BTR platoon column continues and completes its movement orders. Kulak 1 provides over-watch.

dQmt7rw.jpg

To provide additional security, Kulak 2-1 was moved to observe the road.

9VHcRdj.jpg

I forgot that BTRs launch their smoke ~80 meters forward and miss laying smoke on a critical intersection. The smoke now blocks the sight for Kulaks.

IULBDEi.jpg

This oversight results in ATGM's trying to take out the lead BTR.

ItJ804k.jpg

pxfOdO8.jpg

Both missed.

Turn 24 end state. Intersection remains open, third ATGM was launched. From the evidence - missiles look simple, they lack high tech parts, they are on the smaller side (concerning caliber), the closest point that has LoS is ~260 meters away, the missile flight time was over 1.5 seconds, the missiles were loaded quickly - I conclude that its Metis. Infantry was ordered to dismount.

3BS2ohV.jpg

Turn 25 starts with the lead BTR getting hit.

8xkHSiM.jpg

The vehicles survives. Crew - OK, dismounts - OK. Turret is destroyed.

sEhi5ys.jpg

The shooter is identified and my conclusion proved correct. (Note: the trees are turned off)

SpXMidq.jpg

Turn 25 end state. Rest of the turn was calm, the intersection was covered by smoke.

renCol5.jpg

On turn 26, BTR move to the contested woods and start blasting away.

Judging by the kit - radio and AK 74 with GP-25 - a squad leader was killed.

mBt9JfM.jpg

BTRs and dismounts.

Ojiwnx0.jpg

During the turn, Zvezda starts reoccupying its old position.

W9l6wg6.jpg

Turn 26 end state.

MPictLf.jpg

@Lethaface and @Explorer World in Conflict was one of the best RTS games ever made in my opinion. I have very fond memories of using precision artillery strikes to destroy tanks, Soviet heavy tanks reporting "Hostile armor PENETRATED" upon destruction of AFV's, watching every cut-scene...

What got me into strategies were Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader. I can still hear "Wood needed!"! :ROFLMAO:
It was a good one indeed. Visually very stunning as well, especially those 'fuel air bombs' (Thermobaric).

Can't remember if I started with Dune 2, C&C or Sudden Strike. I still remember the C&C sounds and music. Red alert too, the opening sequence music still gets me pomped up, and the Soviet soldiers saying 'Affirmitive' with a Russian accent (still using that for fun at times). Also remember playing Tiberian sun MP with a highschool friend on LAN in my parents house, I on my dad's PC and he on mine. He had the NOD and used underground diggers to attack my base, which was almost to the brink destroyed. While that was going on I used airtransports to land a bunch of microwave beam tanks orsomething in his base. I still remember hearing him cursing and forfeiting the game hehehe. Good times.

I think I tried CMx1 around that time too, but turn based wasn't my thing back than (too slow). Fast forward a couple of years and through Theatre of War and the tanksim 'Balkan on Fire' I noticed about battlefront and CMSF1.
The newer Command&Conquer games had the looks but over time became more a question of getting the right build order and learning all shortcuts from memory.

Over time and because PBEM the turnbased stuff grew on me. Probably also because 'slow' is now a positive thing instead of a negative. Getting old :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

On turn 24, BTR platoon column continues and completes its movement orders. Kulak 1 provides over-watch.

dQmt7rw.jpg

To provide additional security, Kulak 2-1 was moved to observe the road.

9VHcRdj.jpg

I forgot that BTRs launch their smoke ~80 meters forward and miss laying smoke on a critical intersection. The smoke now blocks the sight for Kulaks.

IULBDEi.jpg

This oversight results in ATGM's trying to take out the lead BTR.

ItJ804k.jpg

pxfOdO8.jpg

Both missed.

Turn 24 end state. Intersection remains open, third ATGM was launched. From the evidence - missiles look simple, they lack high tech parts, they are on the smaller side (concerning caliber), the closest point that has LoS is ~260 meters away, the missile flight time was over 1.5 seconds, the missiles were loaded quickly - I conclude that its Metis. Infantry was ordered to dismount.

3BS2ohV.jpg

Turn 25 starts with the lead BTR getting hit.

8xkHSiM.jpg

The vehicles survives. Crew - OK, dismounts - OK. Turret is destroyed.

sEhi5ys.jpg

The shooter is identified and my conclusion proved correct. (Note: the trees are turned off)

SpXMidq.jpg

Turn 25 end state. Rest of the turn was calm, the intersection was covered by smoke.

renCol5.jpg

On turn 26, BTR move to the contested woods and start blasting away.

Judging by the kit - radio and AK 74 with GP-25 - a squad leader was killed.

mBt9JfM.jpg

BTRs and dismounts.

Ojiwnx0.jpg

During the turn, Zvezda starts reoccupying its old position.

W9l6wg6.jpg

Turn 26 end state.

MPictLf.jpg

This time the 'fortune' of ATGMs missing was on your side. And if the hit occurred a bit later, dismounts probably wouldn't have had a great time.

--
Good AAR, I can follow the course of the battle very well. Only thing is remembering those names is a bit difficult for me (I think just because of language), but the visual context helps; I can see Kulak are the tank platoons because they are providing the overwatch; I could correctly guess Zvesda was your recon platoon as they came under fire earlier and mounted up.

This time the 'fortune' of ATGMs missing was on your side. And if the hit occurred a bit later, dismounts probably wouldn't have had a great time.

When I talk of ATGMs missing, I am talking about training-like scenarios I set up for myself from time to time. Missing in those situations is inexplicable to me. It differs from this situation because here we had a situation where Metis targeted a BTR from range of ~260 meters, Metis could only see the turret of the BTR, the target was obscured by trees and two of three missiles hit said trees. Extremely hard shot.

Good AAR, I can follow the course of the battle very well. Only thing is remembering those names is a bit difficult for me (I think just because of language), but the visual context helps; I can see Kulak are the tank platoons because they are providing the overwatch; I could correctly guess Zvesda was your recon platoon as they came under fire earlier and mounted up.

When I finish the AAR, I intend to make at least one more post in which I would explain those names and give my opinion on the battle.

Ooh, Dune 2 is a legend of my childhood. How many lessons at school were truanted playing this game...:sneaky:

One of my cousins started explaining my Stronghold tactics to his history teacher when they were talking about medieval societies... :ROFLMAO:

On turn 27, Kulak 1 establishes a new position. It is on the location of the lead BTR that got hit by Metis.

xKES9DS.jpg

Ukrainian RPG team was spotted running into the contested woods.

7QcHdrD.jpg

As the turn ends, Kulak 2-1 and Kulak 1 start getting lazed. They pop smoke and retreat.

6TqZJYr.jpg

vvCt5tg.jpg

Turn 27 end state. Two tanks (un)spotted on Blue 1. Enemy mortars are working on contested woods and Red 2. Two tubes of 120 mm mortars. Any dismounted infantry of Red 2 starts mounting BTRs. New movement orders were issued.

v0CwJNT.jpg

According to the situation, new tactical group was created. It consisted of Zemun 2, Zemun 1, BTRs from Zemun 4, Tunguskas and Kulaks (two tanks), thus utilizing the concept of bronegruppa, only with slight modification - infantry elements remained attached to vehicles. Zvezda was to provide covering fire.

XxVsWVA.jpg

The idea was to assemble on 1, get behind Zvezda on 2, assault the wooded area and proceed to Wiktorow. Smoke missions were prepared for mortars, one on wooded area that was to be assaulted and one on Blue 3 position. Furthermore, vehicle smoke would cover the flank of the armored group as it moves to the woods and fulfils its assignments.

On turn 28, Kulak and his pair start working on a T-84 that was positioned near the destroyed tank on Blue 1. They fire HE-F shells in an attempt to destroy cover and potentially damage the tank.

Zemun 3 (in the contested woods) spots the results of BTR fire.

nhEIfPh.jpg

Turn 28 end state. Mortars continue to fall, Zemun 2 moves according to new orders. Zemun 1 is preparing to move.

HWvhZGA.jpg

On turn 29, Ukrainian RPG team was spotted moving back from the contested woods. Looks like another squad leader.

jiONAsv.jpg

Turn 29 end state. Mortars fall, Zemun 2 completes the movement. T-84 targeted by Kulaks popped smoke.

HYITDOR.jpg

As turn 30 begins, T-84 was spotted on the outskirts of (what was) Wiktorow, in a tree line. I suspect he was the one lazing the Kulak 2-1.

yCZ9YBT.jpg

Meanwhile, Kulak and his pair move into new position. As always, the movement is concealed by smoke.

MsfKPq3.jpg

tYb14T7.jpg

Kulak 1-1 joins them.

Tc9a5ER.jpg

Simultaneously, Kulak 2-1 enters the contested woods, spots and destroys an infantry team. They either broke and ran away into the open or that was a deliberate move, in order to get some idea of my system of fire in the woods.

Qrsh0pr.jpg

QzltI12.jpg

Ukrainian RPG team moves back into the contested woods.

W9kPe0s.jpg

Turn 30 end state. Zemun 1 started movement. Zemun 2 moved back behind Zvezda (LoS blocked by the trees), in order to avoid mortar fire on armored concentration (LoS open).

sUPCmzF.jpg

On turn 31, Ukrainian RPG team reveals itself. It causes casualties in Zemun 3.

9O5emGN.jpg

Rest of the turn was quiet. Smoke missions were prepared.

JDlnx5Q.jpg

On turn 32, after some area fire, a T-84 was spotted by Kulak 1-1.

Kulak 2-1 joins in.

No penetrations. Last spot before it popped smoke.

oRQGglI.jpg

While tanks were busy engaging the T-84, BTRs opened up on the Ukrainian RPG team.

After some rifle fire, the team was destroyed.

h5UndoB.jpg

Turn 32 end state. Armored group assembling.

gipWWZt.jpg

On turn 33, BTR 4 was spotted and destroyed.

Turn 33 end state. My smoke mission on the assault objective starts. Mortars start falling on Zvezda once again. There is evidence my opponent is massing at least a platoon of BTRs in the forest next to Wikotorow.

0qFqhei.jpg

Turn 34 starts with a spot of an Ukrainian Metis team running.

emUI8h7.jpg

BTR opened up on them with its PKT, but two T90s sealed the deal.

DQFaK7E.jpg

fweT89p.jpg

A while later, in the same area of the map, BTR 4 was spotted moving. It was quite unfortunate for the crew that it was spotted by a T90A.

jpb4JHd.jpg

The result, as predicted. Circled in red is the exit hole.

aWUL7rt.jpg

Halfway through the turn, another Metis team was spotted. T90A opened up.

tAnzkoA.jpg

xbaV3CE.jpg

That T-84 that survived two APFSDS shots was spotted again. Didn't move, confirmed my suspicion that the gun was destroyed.

bnNn2i9.jpg

Turn 34 end state. Tank is once again (un)spotted on Blue 3. In Blue 2 an RPG team was spotted. Smoke mission started on Blue 3.

79yX81G.jpg

On turn 35, the "wounded" T-84 was finally put out of its misery.

After it was destroyed, another T-84 was spotted and destroyed on Blue 1.

On my right, T-84 was finally spotted and engaged by the Kornet team. The team lost the sight halfway, but the missile struck the target.

The T-84 survived! A mix of curse and swear words in Serbian and in Russian could have been heard from my room...

KP9UpUX.jpg

Turn 35 end state. Left flank of the bronegruppa was protected by IR blocking smoke. Leave nothing to chance.

JMDminy.jpg

On turn 36, tank crews were eliminated. If only they dropped their AKS-74Us and sat somewhere in the open, they could have survived as hors de combat....

6NqrKCq.jpg

jdDOCQv.jpg

The Kornet team changing firing position.

Rwan0sb.jpg

Infantry element of the bronegruppa dismounts and forms an assault group - штурмовая группа.

IIEM50B.jpg

Turn 36 end state. A tank was heard moving away from Blue 1. BTR was heard in Blue 2.

e3QI5G3.jpg

Turn 37 starts with my BTR spotting and destroying the BTR heard in (what is left of) Wiktorow.

Tank that was heard retreating from Blue 1 - it was spotted and destroyed by Kulaks XO/pair.

Assault group moving towards the assault objective. Bronegruppa and Zvezda provide over-watch, the IR optics is fully utilized.

epdtJfm.jpg

Turn 37 end state. Additional smoke was launched to cover the flank of the assault element.

X83lLM6.jpg

On turn 38, Tunguska was lost. the missile looks more complex than the Metis.

PI1cLQ5.png

A while later, it was spotted - Corsar team.

1xZGR6N.png

First group of the assault element reached the assault objective area.

BqpuGG4.png

Turn 38 end state. Kulak and his pair prepare to move and exploit the gap created on Blue 1.

XaAnR1r.png

On turn 39, Kulak and his pair execute their move.

As Kulak approached his first stop, a Metis was launched at him, but the missile failed. Shtora worked.

yOc6oQN.jpg

During the turn, PKM started working on my guys in (what was once contested) woods. It was spotted and destroyed by a tank.

q1WjA77.jpg

EOYdfwW.jpg

Assault group assembled on the assault objective. One of the Kulaks joined them.

zq0lxGM.jpg

Turn 39 end state. Kulak and his pair prepare to continue their move, assault group prepares to carry the fight into the depth of my opponents forces.

o0mB0Bm.jpg

On turn 40, Kulak and his pair find and destroy Metis and PKM team. Goodbye to my opponents weapons platoon!

HfCX4vg.jpg

KVTdvJv.jpg

On the assault objective, my infantry suffers casualties, but they destroy the opposition. More importantly, they get info on my opponents position and a BTR in the woods.

naXsvMG.jpg

At this point, I paused and looked at Zvezda and their position. This is what it looks after several 120 mm mortar barrages.

tXMvAbX.jpg

Turn 40 end state. Special treatment is prepared for the contacts on the Assault Objective. (By now, you can probably guess what that means)

S3sZtej.jpg

Turn 41 and how the position of those new contacts looked before the treatment.

LfGmHnx.jpg

The treatment itself.

Aftermath of the treatment.

WRcmmsr.jpg

While Tunguska is treating the contacts, Kornet spots and destroys(!) that T-84.

On my left flank, Kulaks were concentrating on Blue 1.

dEnAWTC.jpg

As the turn ended, another BTR was destroyed by Kulaks.

hW2tNTZ.jpg

Turn 41 end state. The envelopment of my opponent right flank is about to start.

PiRvOiP.jpg

As turn 42 starts, Kulaks pair spots and destroys a T-84. Ammunition load detonates. It is rumored that parts of the tank reached lower Earth orbit....

My tanks start enveloping. They open up the rear of my opponents units. Kulak destroying a BTR.

QEcDJEa.jpg

Kulak 2 destroys another BTR.

HaTuSOA.jpg

As the turn ended, yet another BTR was destroyed.

GjmTaZF.jpg

My units spot 2 BTR 70 in the rear.

r8w2y8Q.jpg

Turn 42 end state.

DIPBq9K.jpg

At this point, my opponent signaled that he intends to surrender. I accept the surrender and promise to behave according to Geneva Conventions and Additional Protocols 1-3. (Of course, as soon as units across the battlefield receive new orders)

Back