Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Renault FT-17 (Light tank)

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
The Renault FT, frequently referred to in post-World War I literature as the "FT-17" or "FT17", was a French light tank that was among the most revolutionary and influential tank designs in history. The FT was the first operational tank to have its armament within a fully rotating turret, and its basic configuration with the turret on top, engine in the back, and the driver in front became the standard pattern, repeated in most tanks to this day. -

briz0110_zpsnziq8oiw.jpg

It could be equipped with cannon or machine gun but its decisive advantage was its light weight -about 7 tons- this meant that it could be loaded on a truck and dispatched to the front ready for action. When the Renault FT 17 was subsequently equipped with a 37 -mm gun, a periscope was also fitted, This gave the crew-the commander, who doubled as gunner, and the driver-an enormous advantage over the blind crew of heavier tanks.-

Specifications
Weight 6.5 tonnes
Length 5.00 m
Width 1.74 m
Height 2.14 m
Crew 2 (commander, driver)
Armor 22 mm
Main armament 37 mm gun or 7.92 mm machine gun
Operational range 65 km
Speed 7 km/h (4.3 mph)

Last edited:
I like the optic of that little bugger. And by the way - the driver´s position is in the middle of the front as it is too in the "newer/more modern" types. Most tanks I know it´s on the left side as in a car. :)

I like the optic of that little bugger. And by the way - the driver´s position is in the middle of the front as it is too in the "newer/more modern" types. Most tanks I know it´s on the left side as in a car. :)

Pity the small space. -
It seems somewhat uncomfortable inside. -

Last edited:
Great pictures and video! :) (That was Lee Ermey driving the tank, right?)

Very interesting how it all began with the tanks. Hopefully BF will release a WWI Combat Mission too.

Back