Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Return to Magna Graecia - Turn 2

Here we go - - I have done the Call for Allies die rolls.

Roman Army II
Capua (Modifiers: Regional Capital: +2, Greekling trait of army’s general: +1) -- Die roll: 10 + 3 = 13 --> +2 strength points added --> Total Army strength: 14 points

Pyrrhus Army II
Venusia (Modifiers: Greekling trait of army’s general: +1, Samnite City +2) -- Die roll: 10 + 3 = 13 --> +2 strength points added

Bovianum (Modifiers: Greekling trait of army’s general: +1, Samnite City +2) -- Die roll: 1 + 3 = 4 --> +1 strength points added

Asculum (Modifiers: Greekling trait of army’s general: +1 ) -- Die roll: 5 + 1 = 6 --> +1 strength points added

Total Allies for Pyrrhus Army II: 4 strength points --> Total Army strength: 15 points
Seems Pyrrhus's Greeks are very popular in this part of Italy and this results in his Army being 1 strength point larger than the Roman army in the end.

----------------------

BATTLE MAP: Die roll: 8 -- Mediterranean Agricultural

---------------------

@kronenblatt can do the honours of setting up the FOG battle.

Phyrrus campaign Turn 2 Cam 03.jpg

1698176736994.png

• Strength difference is 1 in Pyrrhic favour (15-14), why the Pyrrhic side will have 1600 FP and the Roman 1560 FP. (+40 FP difference for each strength difference).
  • Allies were successfully called from Samnite cities for the Pyrrhic side, so it must use Samnite 355-272 BC allies.
  • Getting allies from Capua doesn't result in any army list for allies.
The game is therefore now set up with the TT Mod 1.5.32b as:

@kronenblatt Pyrrhus 280-275 BC with Samnite 355-272 BC allies (1600 FP) versus @chiquichops Roman 280-220 BC (1560 FP) on Mediterranean Agricultural terrain.
Password: MALEVENTUM

Last edited:
Yes, Pyrrhus has become overconfident and the Roman consul must prove his worth and motivate why he was elected in the first place. :)

Interesting fact. Maleventum means "Ill wind" in Latin. It came from the latinisation of the original Samnite name, which I don't think had any bad connotations. The Romans later renamed it Beneventum or "fair wind " which it remains as today.

I just can't paste any screenshots guys. Sorry. No idea why, I always have been able to. :(

I lament to inform the Senate of a defeat for Rome. 14% - 40% victory for Pyrrhus.
We retreat back to Capua with the men we have left.
Indeed, the old motto 'Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori' seems a bitter salve to our wounds.

Last edited:
The Pyrrhic troops managed to secure the hill on their right flank, which probably proved decisive. And also having patches of rough on the left flank helped out and slowed the advance of the Roman heavy foot. Pyrrhus (or actually his general A(le)xander) gambled on fewer than usual Pikes, which nearly didn't pay off (would had been a disaster if the centre had broken down or been forced to fall back down the slope).

No (non-raw) pikes were (and stayed) routed.

1698401733063.png

Last edited:
Ok, the GM office is open again.

Battle for Maleventum ended in a victory for the Pyrrhus Army II.

Rome Army II retreats back to Capua.

Rome Army II suffered 40% casualties, but no retreat attrition (Die roll was: 8 (no modifiers)) -- so loses 4 points and is reduced to 8 strength points.

Pyrrhus Army II suffered 14% casualties - so loses 1 points and is reduced to 10 strength points.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Back to Consul @chiquichops for his next action.

Phyrrus campaign Turn 2 Cam 04.jpg

1698475554475.png

Could be worse. We have a few options here.
I'm going to try to swing Corfinium over to the Romans. A nice selection of candied testicles in lark's vomit and a box or two of badger's noses should do it.

(Edit) DIPLOMACY on Maleventum. @Rico

(Seems smarter than siege from a probability perspective, given that I’ll get the same roll in both two cases.)

Last edited:
Back