Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Return to Magna Graecia

See how @kronenblatt wants to handle it?

The map and the markers and all now look really great! So if you're fine with GM'ing this, @Rico, I'd be more than happy to use your work for the campaign. (Could you please also send the stuff to me, and I can see how it could work in GIMP for later use.)

(This said, a vassal version could be useful in case someone wants to do single-player electronically himself, so would be interested in looking at your creation, @Nathangun. :) )

@kronenblatt -- happy to GM this.

Quick note: Dunno if any players have or use the TT Mod -- not familiar with it (don't use any mods in my FOG games)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have this right -- @kronenblatt will take on the role of Phyrrus of Epirus, the greatest field commander since Alexander the Great. :cool:

Who will take on the roles of the Roman consuls (each consul takes command for one year/game turn) -- so far Senator Joseyus Walesus Minimus (aka @Josey Wales ) has thrown his toga into the ring.

Any other upstanding Roman senators willing to step up? @chiquichops @Nathangun

As GM I will keep track of the hidden information and FOW:
1. Army sizes (hidden until battle is joined)
2. Operations chits -- each player can DM me their Operation Chits selection at start of each turn -- just to keep everyone honest
3. Die rolls -- do we use an online Dice Room and each player does their own rolls? -- or does the GM throw the dice for everyone (also using the dice room ... for control purposes)

Example -- nice and simple one: https://www.rolldicewithfriends.com/rooms/ricoroomnew

You can create a room -- invite particpants to observe -- each dice roll can be labelled and you can track all the throws going backwards.

The map and the markers and all now look really great! So if you're fine with GM'ing this, @Rico, I'd be more than happy to use your work for the campaign. (Could you please also send the stuff to me, and I can see how it could work in GIMP for later use.)

(This said, a vassal version could be useful in case someone wants to do single-player electronically himself, so would be interested in looking at your creation, @Nathangun. :) )
Drop Box your work and I'll start work on it tomorrow.

I'm away from my computer rest of today -- will send through the image elements some time during Monday.

As GM I will keep track of the hidden information and FOW:
1. Army sizes (hidden until battle is joined)
2. Operations chits -- each player can DM me their Operation Chits selection at start of each turn -- just to keep everyone honest
3. Die rolls -- do we use an online Dice Room and each player does their own rolls? -- or does the GM throw the dice for everyone (also using the dice room ... for control purposes)

All can be done in Vassal, players will unable to 'flip' their opponents chits.
You can type in the UI and roll dice.

bH10go2.jpg

Last edited:
Great, all! @Josey Wales @Nathangun @chiquichops

I'll update the rules somewhat for generals, with this:
  • With the exception of Pyrrhus himself, all generals commanding armies that for whatever reason have been eliminated must always be replaced next turn.
  • The Carthaginians must appoint a new general if their army lost a battle in the previous turn and may otherwise appoint a new general anyway or (unless the army was eliminated) retain their most recent general.
Also, are you fine with the TT Mod? [LINK] Only adds new units and with better flavour, nothing else. If not, we can of course use vanilla.

Great, all! @Josey Wales @Nathangun @chiquichops

I'll update the rules somewhat for generals, with this:
  • With the exception of Pyrrhus himself, all generals commanding armies that for whatever reason have been eliminated must always be replaced next turn.
  • The Carthaginians must appoint a new general if their army lost a battle in the previous turn and may otherwise appoint a new general anyway or (unless the army was eliminated) retain their most recent general.
Also, are you fine with the TT Mod? [LINK] Only adds new units and with better flavour, nothing else. If not, we can of course use vanilla.
I'm good to try the mod. Is it permanent and how will it affect h2h with someone without the mod?

I'm good to try the mod. Is it permanent and how will it affect h2h with someone without the mod?
When a player sets up a h2h game (in the Multiplayer Lobby as usual), he firat loads the TT mod and then selects the army lists from that one. The opponent player then needs to have the mod installed too in order to be able to pick up the game.

So you can have several ongoing games, some vanilla, some with mod.

Last edited:
There is one part (at least) on the rules (as they currently stand) on which I'd like to get input:

If the battle is a draw, each of the two armies will decide whether to retreat (and then in accordance with the rules set out in the paragraph below). If neither of the two armies decides to retreat, a new battle between them will be fought as part of the same Operation, with new rolls for Calling Allies and Map Type and potentially with new army sizes due to incurred casualties in the previous battle. This will be reiterated until one of the two armies wins the battle, is eliminated, or retreats after a draw.

What I've tried to accomplish here is for both armies to actually want to win and thus a balanced outcome, so that the attacker isn't necessarily the one attacking and defender defending. But on the other hand, it could be cumbersome and time consuming to set up a new battle each time there's a draw.

Thoughts?

An alternative way to solve it could be for both armies to having to retreat in the case of a draw and with that Operation ending and the initiative passing over to other side, getting to conduct an Operation.

Maybe some random attrition due to pre-battle skirmishes (0-2 reduction in army size) for each of the two armies could also be introduced, to add some uncertainty and unwillingness to submit to a draw. Basically a d10 is rolled for each army: 1-3: no reduction, 4-8: reduction of 1, 9-10: reduction of 2. Maybe some generals' traits could also modify the rolls.

Last edited:
I think it's ok as it stands -- Draws are pretty rare in FOG.
It's not the draw per se, it's that I like a draw to not penalise the attacker more than the defender, i.e., a more more balanced risk/reward situation.

So I'm likely to go for a random retreat attrition.

I like the idea.
In this type of campaign, with dedicated players, we can perhaps have the luxury of playing the more complex rules.
As @Rico said, a draw is pretty rare anyway (although a more cagey fight may be a result under these campaign rules ...) One of the sides is usually left with the field

Here are the updated rules. Please note changes in OUTCOMES AND EFFECTS OF BATTLES (the Retreat Attrition Table) and APPOINTING GENERALS (about replacing generals).

Attachments

• RoMG - FOG-adapted rules FINAL.pdf
    462.2 KB · Views: 4
Back