Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Smoke Generators why dont we have them?

V

Vox

it is my understanding, correct me if im wrong that Russian vehicles have not just smoke grenades, but also smoke generator where they drive forward and generate a wall of smoke obscuring the up coming forces. In a realistic game like Combat mission why dont we have this? it seems like a big part of Russian tactics. Am i wrong?

As far as I know your right. The Russian tanks can inject oil/diesel into the hot muffler which creates a lot of smoke.

No clue why it's not ingame

I believe it's the same situation as with flamethrowers before. Game engine limits.

Maybe? On the other hand it could be simplified/limited easily.
But as CMx2 engine doesn't have shoot and move/retreat order like in Cmx1, I assume there is a problem with connecting put smoke and move order.

LOL no I am sure it is technically doable and may even be on their list of stuff to do - just not done yet.

The shoot and scoot order is not in CM2 because it was felt that it can by accomplished already. Of course the removal of borg spotting (which is excellent IMHO) means that the exact same thing cannot be created since the unit moving into position does not have the target enemy visible to be targeted. This means that the shoot and scoot order becomes more like; move up pause and hope to find a target and withdraw after some number of seconds. Which frequently works great but not always by any means.

Making that better is also on the to do list. People bring it up from time to time so it does not get forgotten.

very interesting. can you explain borg spoting. All i really want it an order that makes the unit move after he shoots. I have trouble knowing how long its going to take him to load aim and fire. most of the time he move just as he is going to fire. you try to get that time as tight as you can to minimize exposure and you most of the time end up not giving him enough time. same with infantry by the way. 6 time out of 10 the javelin team fire the first missile gets spotted doing it and dies. I want them to site there fire the missile and right away move. shoot and scoot for troops as well please. maybe im just a noob. or maybe that would be OP. i dont know, but i think i would like it. As well as long as I am crying for things i like. I want Fires i know they dont want to do it but if a tank is on fire in a field the field should go up to in a square but square would be enough for me also houses houses alway go up in flames war photos. sorry for the tangent:(

never mind I googled borg spoting:) as long as im on that tangent:) remember in cm1 units could miss identify a target all of a sudden that tiger you were so afraid of turned into a pz 4 because a green unit miss identified it. oh that was fun. should be added in iron mod i think.

All i really want it an order that makes the unit move after he shoots. I have trouble knowing how long its going to take him to load aim and fire.
Yep, that would be excellent. In an early AAR I describe getting a Shreck team to step out into a gap between houses to get a shot on an emey tank and trying to estimate the pause time needed before running to safety. They kept just about finishing aiming before they up an ran. I think got three tries in. Arrrrgggggg.

as long as im on that tangent:) remember in cm1 units could miss identify a target all of a sudden that tiger you were so afraid of turned into a pz 4 because a green unit miss identified it. oh that was fun.
Agreed that was fun.

Yep, that would be excellent. In an early AAR I describe getting a Shreck team to step out into a gap between houses to get a shot on an emey tank and trying to estimate the pause time needed before running to safety. They kept just about finishing aiming before they up an ran. I think got three tries in. Arrrrgggggg.
I guess you could say its a skill thing. but i dont know if I 100% agree. a button would be nice

i mean they gave us a hull down button and thats the easiest thing in the world to do you just use your eyes. shoot and scoot is impossible to do with out a button in my opinion.

Some of the vids posted in this thread I started on the BF forum show exactly that - Russian-made tanks pouring out dense smoke screens, it seems particularly effective to get out of trouble in urban areas. I am disappointed it isn't modelled. videos of syria streetfighting

Back